HybridZ

Hey drift Z guys

240ZR

Meh I wadded my 240 this week, if you know Irwindale Speedway at all It was Turn number 2 -_- Got way too much angle tried to Save it ended up eating more wall..... and then I cried for like 4 hours as i called my dad and asked him to help me tow it home.... okay well now that you all know i suck at drift, I wanted to make a CHEAPY Drift Car to learn a little more before i wad another Sexxy 240....... or my Prize 510, I was thinking............. Can you Drift a Late Model VW BUG? I know you can Drift the **** out of a Porsche 914 or 911, and the MR-2 is a Monster when i get some air to keep it cooled down. Its got IRS, take out the Torsion bars, toss in coil-overs, puy a Sway bar in the front to help under-steer, maybe goose the engine I think the one it has is making 70-80 horse (Shhh I know its low but the tranny is close on 1-2 on those bad boys) and I am sure i can goose 20 more horse with a new carb, (don't tell me its not enough horse, those freaking Truenos do it with 120 and I believe they weigh more then a bug) and maybe some new higher comp. headers and shoot it weights about the same as a Z and has the Benefit of something like 35/65 weight (tunable with a nice set of Free-weights from the house)...... Just a though But I think I could Atleast Learn to Drift a VW bug... What do you think? Do you know how awesome it would be to show up tot he next drift days drifting a VW bug and smoking some Ricers in his s13 or something XD

As the saying goes, if its RWD you can drift it.

That's an old bug though, and you're gunna have to be constantly replacing driveshafts and suspension parts and lots of cool, expensive things.

Definetly get it more power, though. Sure you might have enough power to get it sideways, but the hard part is keeping it like that.

As the saying goes' date=' if its RWD you can drift it.

That's an old bug though, and you're gonna have to be constantly replacing drive shafts and suspension parts and lots of cool, expensive things.

Definitely get it more power, though. Sure you might have enough power to get it sideways, but the hard part is keeping it like that.[/quote']

I figure with the Transaxle it will be a little more durable... how much horse you think it needs...... I was thinking ideally 130-150 it only weighs 2300ish lbs factor... if i gut it I bet you I can get it to 1900lbs but even then I don't think there is that much to gut.... Bumpers, Engine Cover, Radio, Interior bits, pass. seat, rear seat, or maybe 1700 lbs...take off the heavy steel wheels and get Alloys that's some more weight... take off the body chrome, meh this might be a project...

Dose a Bug have Expensive parts? my coilovers are $60............ beats the **** out of my z ones i wanted... Race built Turbo 2000cc is only 5k XD that's what i paid for my fugging SBC...... and you know whats hot? the swap is like literally 4 bolts........

I don't know how CHEAP it'll be but i'll be pretty badass, take a Karhman Ghia pull the old motor and gut it. Buy a rolling chassis if at all possible, take a VW bus transaxle or a Porsche 915 (1000 used), go to Kennedy Engineering (google search) buy one of their adapters for an SR20DE/SR20DET. buy the SR20DET motor only for 1500 on ebay, megasquirt it, and basic boost controller. http://www.thesamba.com has some pretty cheap Hi-performance stuff cause well its VW and they are cheap. Thats what I would do, i think it'd be pretty badass.

Tyson

Fwiw, i dont think the bug doesn't have a driveshaft, just half-shafts becuz the engine is in the back. And i wouldn't consider a 74 a late model, the general rule of thumb is Late Model=10yrs old or less(thats wht i was told) If you were gonna drift a LATE MODEL bug, it wouldn't do that good becuz it is FWD. Don't get me wrong though, i have seen people drift FWD cars, but its not as easy and it doesn't slide quite as well either.

I don't know how CHEAP it'll be but i'll be pretty badass' date=' take a Karhman Ghia pull the old motor and gut it. Buy a rolling chassis if at all possible, take a VW bus transaxle or a Porsche 915 (1000 used), go to Kennedy Engineering (google search) buy one of their adapters for an SR20DE/SR20DET. buy the SR20DET motor only for 1500 on ebay, megasquirt it, and basic boost controller. www.thesamba.com has some pretty cheap Hi-performance stuff cause well its VW and they are cheap. Thats what I would do, i think it'd be pretty badass.

Tyson

Chirco has some WICKED Turbo Engines out...... altho... I just found Mazda Rotary to VW adaption..... hell yes 1.3b would be SICK

Fwiw, i dont think the bug doesn't have a driveshaft, just half-shafts becuz the engine is in the back. And i wouldn't consider a 74 a late model, the general rule of thumb is Late Model=10yrs old or less(thats wht i was told) If you were gonna drift a LATE MODEL bug, it wouldn't do that good becuz it is FWD. Don't get me wrong though, i have seen people drift FWD cars, but its not as easy and it doesn't slide quite as well either.

I dont know where in the world you are from, but out here THEY STILL MAKEType 1 Bugs:twak: I can Cross the Border to Mexico and buy a BRAND NEW Transaxel RWD 2004-2005 VW Beetle with a 1600CC and 98 horse....... and then vin swap :twisted: or say like a 72 or 73 not have to smog it, and have a sweet brand NEW bug XD...:shock:

I'd say go for it. 120HP is high for a trueno. There are guys out there drifting with sub 100hp truenos. You don't need HP when you don't have tire 8)

Since the bug doesn't have much tire to begin with you're fine. Just lighten it up a bit, do some minor suspension work and get sideways ;)

I'd be worried about overspin more than anythign else. Do you know what the weight balance is F/R? Generally mid engine cars are highly unstable while drifting because of the rear weight bias, wich is what made the old rear engine porsches were so scary to drive in the rain.

If you have to put some bricks up front to make it more stable.

I like the S12 idea but only if you can find one cheep.

• Like 1

If you do go the VW route you can always remove the fenders and replace the front "hood" and that such with either baja or fiberglass. The 13b would be cool, but don't they lack torque which I thought was bad for breaking the wheels loose? Then again, you can build a VW motor for cheap or turbo one fairly easily. Just think you need to get it lower for the high speed drifting it doesn't seem like it could/can handle very many high speed corners without being tipsy.

Tyson

My best friend's first car was a '67 Baja Bug (basically an offroad kit for the Bug). I spent a lot of time helping him work on it. He had a tuned 1600cc dual port engine, mags, etc. Even tuned out its hard to get more than 100 hp from those things (unless you drop cubic dollars on a Scat engine or something similar). I don't know about the later bugs, but the earlier ones weigh much less than a 240z, more like 1800 lbs (maybe less) stock, so gut it and you are talking about a VERY light car. Part of the Baja Bug kit is fiberglass front end and fenders, so his was very light. Heavy rear weight bias, not good for racing, but probably good for drifting. Parts are cheap, too.

I dont know where in the world you are from, but out here THEY STILL MAKEType 1 Bugs:twak: I can Cross the Border to Mexico and buy a BRAND NEW Transaxel RWD 2004-2005 VW Beetle with a 1600CC and 98 horse....... and then vin swap :twisted: or say like a 72 or 73 not have to smog it, and have a sweet brand NEW bug XD...:shock:

You also said that the bug you had was a 70's model, that is not a late-model, and in the US they do not offer a RWD bug anymore, they stopped that in the 70's, and back in the 70's mexico bought the rights of the bug, thats y the still make it there, the same as it was in the 70's, it doesn't look newer, but the exact same. BTW, im in the USA, same as you, wich doesn't change anything, becuz on the west coast, its still not made in the US.

Its kind of like when sum1 says that have a 260Z everyone knows its carberated, becuz thats how they came in the US, but in europe and asia sum of them were fuel injected-but nobody thinks about it like that.

You also said that the bug you had was a 70's model' date=' that is not a late-model, and in the US they do not offer a RWD bug anymore, they stopped that in the 70's, and back in the 70's mexico bought the rights of the bug, thats y the still make it there, the same as it was in the 70's, it doesn't look newer, but the exact same. BTW, im in the USA, same as you, wich doesn't change anything, becuz on the west coast, its still not made in the US.

Its kind of like when sum1 says that have a 260Z everyone knows its carberated, becuz thats how they came in the US, but in europe and asia sum of them were fuel injected-but nobody thinks about it like that.[/quote']

Easy. If this thread gets uncivil, we'll lock it and then maybe trash it.

Guys, let's keep it respectable on both sides---remember that no one knows what the tone of your post is, all they can do is guess so be very careful of what you write...

(savage, I'm not singling you out here...)

Davy

Yea, ended up doing the same thing to my Z yesterday, at a curb at about 45, dead on, bent my motor mounts, all my suspention arms, almost everything, luckly no real body damage and no frame.

Now back on topic, I drifted a s13 hatch for 4 years, and im not bad at it, compeated in events and everything, get an rx7, blew that up, then got the Z, and its not an easy car to slide... I dont mean its hard to break loose, its just hard to have a controlled slide in that car, not an easy task. To bad the first car you totaled was a Z, and not an s13, Ive yet to total out a car drifting, but im sure ill do it one day...

Whats the best bet for helping a Z drift a little better (I have 200lb springs on all 4 corners, everything bushing replaced, welded diff, Personal Steering wheels, aftermarket coupeler bushing, ect ect, its just HARD to drift compare to the S13)..