HybridZ

1uz-fe

Gollum

As the engine code notes, it's toyota. It's a V8 DOHC 32 valve motor 4 liter.

All aluminium, single came gear with narrow valve angle and no rockers. All done to minimize head size & weight. The exhast gear is driven by a secondary gear mid-cam. Great chamber design, ports work well at low PRM but need to be opened up for high RPM use. 6 bolt motor (someone explain what that means, i don't understand that) wich is supposed to make it strong. All forged internals. There are a couple of blower options availible and twin turbo setups have been done. Motor only weights in just under 400 pounds. It's LIGHT.

It's the motor in my grandfather's new lexus. He wants a truck in the future and said he'd give me the car (free) when he replaces it.

So in a couple of years (maybe less, he's in his mid 70's... still in great shape though) I might have myself a free donor car for an easy 400hp light V8.

I was doing some research and it seems to be a great motor. Talk about gold mine in my lap eh? Engine might need a rebuild & blueprint by the time it makes it's way into a Z, it's high mileage at 190k.

So.... Thoughts? comments? Should I think about buying a S30 shell or just put it in my low milage S130 ZX and totally ruin it's value?

EDIT: Good resource I found. Good links too. http://www.1uzfe.com/

Great motor, reasonably popular in Australia for conversions into all sorts of cars.

Getting a manual transmission behind them is the problem, can be done though.

I am not sure about the US, but here they can be had for well under $1000USD so it would be a shame to destroy a "new lexus" for that sort of money.

well, it's not brand new. It's a 97' or there about.

Sure you can get a motor for that price. But what about wiring harness, ecu, all sensors, ect, ect, ect. There are usually lots of "little things" you end up needing that might not be there if you get the motor second hand.

Also, i should have mentioned... If I put it in my ZX I have to leave it mostly stock to pass emissions. If I put it in a S30 I can go all out.

Holy cow gollum! Looks like you've hit the jackpot!

I'd suggest getting a rolling 240 chassis, and go to town on it, man! I can't even imagine how crazy fast that'd be NA, let alone supercharged or twin turbo'd!

I can't believe I just now discovered this motor. Its damn stout! =)

6 bolt motor (someone explain what that means, i don't understand that) wich is supposed to make it strong.

6 bolt mains. If its designed like the VH45DE then there will be two on each side of the crank bearings then one on each side of those... so it looks like this:

-||O||-

- = side main bolts

| = main bolts

O = crank

Hopefully that's not too confusing.

Most domestic V8's have 2 or 4 bolt mains. I'm not sure about the newer ones though.

if you want an awesome motor, check out the engine from the new toyota sienna, i believe its the 5VZ-FE.

My mom has a 2004 toyota sienna XLE AWD, and that thing hauls ***, it has 215hp and 222ft lbs, wich is enough to smoke the tires, but everytime i try it doesn't work-i'll take a turn and slam the gas, but won't spin the tires, and if you try and neutral drop it, its almost like it slips the converter becuz it won't kick at all. But it does have enough power to go from 0-60 in 8.3 seconds. Doesn't seem like alot but think, thats a 5000+pound mini-van-that is pretty damn impressive, and it will put u back in the seat a bit too, imagine that in a Z thats more then half of its weight, and a bit of bolt ons like intake, exhaust, and chip-u'd b having alot of fun.

Well, if you don't mind. I've got one here but it's in a car, so some measurements might be a little hard to get.

I've been trying to find a manual that will bolt up to it but havn't had any luck. I think that's the key to the swap.

if you want an awesome motor' date=' check out the engine from the new toyota sienna, i believe its the 5VZ-FE.

[/quote']

5VZ is only a 3.4l, doesn't have the power band of a UF and has a cast iron block. 1ufze all aluminum is also a 4.0 and they make bigger. With displacement comes torque too.

Gollum,

Both of these guys are located in Australia but from their websites it looks like they can mate pretty much any tranny you want to the 1UZ-FE. It's worth a look.

http://www.rodshop.com.au

http://www.dellowauto.com.au

I want to use this engine in a project some day, maybe I'll stick one in the Volvo 245 I was just given. :D

I gave the car to my daughter but I don't think she would mind if we made a project out of it. She says she wants to learn how to work on cars and this is a very cool engine. Maybe I could pick one up cheap without the harness and use megasquirt-n-spark on it.

Wheelman

Thanks for the links. Good finds.

The ony thing I'd recomend from the information I've gathered is MAKE SURE to find out what year/model the motor came from. There seems to be tones of little changes here and there.

So I'm not too worried about the tranny now. I'm thinking that since my grandfather's lexus is a 93 and has the pre VVTi motor in it, I'll look at just doing a quick and dirty swap and use the auto. Once I get the swap legalised I can pretty much do anything I want as long as it "looks" like a stock toyota motor ;) So at that point I can do a newer V8 motor with a procharger, lowered compression, head porting (to accomodate higher revs) and aftermarket cams to maxamise the supercharger. Motor should be good for 8k. I have no clue yet where the tourque peak would be yet. There isn't a ton of data out there that I've been able to find. But at any rate it will be WAY too much power, and that's a good thing 8)

And the best thing? No smog as long as the S30 is pre 76'. Dang I love loop holes.