HybridZ

worst and best day of my life

Guest wacyszcar

Guest wacyszcar

last thursday night i finally got my 260z running with my LT-1 and my car had been in the shop for months and i d been driving our old suburban to school. anyways i drove the car to school and of course showed off a little and burnt out in front of schoolso everything was going awesome so i went into class and about 10 min later a kid comes running into the classroom and says hey dude your cars on fire so i hauled a** out there and the B**** we have for a principle made me watch my car go up in flames till the fire department got there i was crying on my girlfriends shoulder in front of 400 kids. they understood. so anyways it melted all the crome of my motor anythin plastic was toast and the dashboard an cd player is F***. it was some kind of electric fire. my whole car looks like a piece of plastic that went through the microwave to long. ive been sitting in my room all weekend.

Man that really sucks.

Do yo have insurance?

Is it rebuildable?

Did you have a shop do the conversion or do it yourself?

Is your 260 and early or late model? I have a 73 240 which is basically the same as the early 260 and when I pulled the dash I found 3 of the headlight wires (at least I believe they are headlight wires) melted together into a single blob. I still haven't fixed it but my car is back on the jackstands so it isn't being driven. I wonder if this is what caused your problem or did the fire start in the engine bay?

Wheelman

Sorry to hear about your car, the only upside is that the next time around, with the knowledge you gained this time around you can do it better and faster, if you need any parts let me know, i have quite a bit i wouldnt mind donating some to help ya out.

Sux. Sorry to hear...

Last spring my wife and I were running out to the grocery store to pick up some stuff to grill, and as we left the subdivision, there was this group of three kids standing, watching one of their cars start to flame up... They were all in a panic, and didn't know where to start... One of them had called the fire department. :shock:

I stopped, had them turn the water hose on, and made them stand back while I hosed the car down. The source of the fire was under the hood and the hood latch cable had already melted. One of the kids had tried to pull the cable, and had melted plastic in his had, attached to what was left of the palm of his hand... AND he was in shock. We had no fire extenguisher and all I could do was have the friends help the young man out while I continued to keep a steady flow of water on the car until the fire department got there... They yelled at me to stop hosing the car down, and that water wasn't helping, that a dry chemical was needed... DUH... YA THINK??? I was working with what I had. Oh well... Couldn't watch the kids car just flame up without doing something... Source of the fire??? Brand new stereo install... His first. Multiple amps, speakers, and head unit... Kid had just gotten his tax refund. :-(

Your "biatch" of a principle probably used very good discretion in making you wait for the fire department... It hurts now I'm sure, but you can build a new car... We can't make a new you, you know? :2thumbs:

Cheer up... It only gets better from here.

Mike :cool:

Very sorry to hear about that!

A friends 70 Chevelle SS race car burned down inside his detached garage that burned down as well. Electrical fire in the stock harness. He never did find out what the problem was.

After that, I almost always turn off the power from the battery (relocated to the rear of the car, just behind the passenger seat), using the disconnect switch I put on the wall at the front of the package shelf. Easy to reach back there from the drivers seat and disconnect the entire electrical system (except a 10 gage wire I ran forward for full-time use - that is connected to the battery terminal with a fusible link).

Good luck straightening things out.

I'm thinking about mounting a fire extingusher with something like 1/2" plastic hose to the engine, possibly pointing at the carb and have the fire ext so all you have to do is pull the trigger. Also, I want to put a shock sensor in line with the power to the fuel pump like they do on most cars. You can probably use just about any shock sensor from a junk yard. I'm thinking also of having a valve for the fire ext that can be operated by remote and have an extra button on your key fob or a sep. fob. Also, it would be nice to have some kind of sensor near the carb that can sense fire or excessive heat, like a fuseable link or something. There is a limit to safety systems where it gets too complicated to be useable, but I've got a long way to go before that happens. I've heard too many horror stories.

Dan

I'm thinking about mounting a fire extingusher with something like 1/2" plastic hose to the engine' date=' possibly pointing at the carb and have the fire ext so all you have to do is pull the trigger. Also, I want to put a shock sensor in line with the power to the fuel pump like they do on most cars. You can probably use just about any shock sensor from a junk yard. I'm thinking also of having a valve for the fire ext that can be operated by remote and have an extra button on your key fob or a sep. fob. Also, it would be nice to have some kind of sensor near the carb that can sense fire or excessive heat, like a fuseable link or something. There is a limit to safety systems where it gets too complicated to be useable, but I've got a long way to go before that happens. I've heard too many horror stories.

Dan[/quote']

you can actually get fittings made for fire safety systems that will fog your engine bay and stuff, check http://www.hrpworld.com

Guest tony78_280z
That's why you should always fuse everything coming off the positive lead of the batery. I have a 100 amp fuse from the positive batery and then everything running off after the fuse.

:iagree: I had a near miss once with electrical wiring. Now EVERYTHING, If it comes off of the battery or the alternator it has a fuse or fusable link in it.

Sorry to hear about the car though.