HybridZ

2JZ shake down passes...

Z-Gad

After arriving at Orlando Speedworld Dragway today ~12:30 pm, I waited for an eternity, in order to make 2 passes in a six hour span. It was pitiful... Fortunately there was good company as Scottie, Rick, Garrett, Ken C, and a couple others showed up for the Sunday shakedown passes. After having the car on the road for a week, I did a 50/50 mix of pump/race gas (for safety) and went to do some low boost (20psi) passes.

Pass #1

R/T ... .467

60' ... 2.082

330 ... 5.237

1/8 ... 7.769

MPH ... 91.03

1000 .. 10.085

1/4 ... 11.981

MPH ... 119.39

Now, for a narration of the pass, I do a quick little burnout and stage. I am having trouble with my brakes (still haven't worked that one out) where I have to put my foot to the floor to stop the car. Needless to say, while foot braking, I was unable to bring the rpm's up to the stall (4200) before the car started creeping forward, so I launched around 3500 or so and had to wait to get into boost. Once I launched, I had to shift manually (as opposed to ratchet shifting) as I am having troubles with the shifter linkage (1st - 2nd is fine, but won't ratchet 2nd - 3rd). Then, since I am manually shifting, I accidently push the gearshift into neutral, bounce off the rev limiter, pull it back into gear and get back into it. I checked my data log with wideband info and found that I am running PIG rich with 10.2:1 A/F ratios and total timing of ~13*-14* at 20psi. I figure, cool, I'll take care of that and make another pass...lean the A/F 5% and see what happens...

2nd pass

R/T ... .991

60' ... 2.182

330 ... 5.350

1/8 ... 7.892

mph ... 92.07

1000... 10.171

1/4 ... 12.043

MPH ... 121.01

Pass narration ... better burnout, the car creeps across the line as I was trying to hold it back, hence the worse time and 60', but MPH increased from only the 5% leaning of the fuel map in affected areas. My laptop's battery dies during the pass, losing any datalogging for the run and I somehow hit neutral again and bounce off the rev limiter before pulling it back into gear and getting back into it. Car is making power as I picked up nearly 29mph in the second half of the track!! Someone drive this car for me please!! LOL!!

Overall, I was pleased with the results. I had no idea what to expect, as every nut and bolt in the car has been touched, but running my first 11 second pass on the first time out shows some promise. The car has been on the road for only a week now, so the tune is still pretty rudimentary. It also seemed to be a crowd favorite as word spread quickly of the bright lime yellow datsun with the 2JZGTE and due to the LONG wait times, people had time to wander around and check out everyone's rides. Aside from the wait time, I atleast had a good time. BTW, Ken C shot a digicam video of the 11.9 pass and may be able to get it up for us to watch. Just for you Gabe!!

...much more to come...

heh,, Thanks Mike.. Well I say.. NOT TO SHABBY for the first time out in her man.. Couple of bugs to be worked out and I bet she will be one heck of a beast..!! Glad you guys had some fun and sucks for the long lines.. but like you said.. you were in good company.. Ken.. email me the vid if you can..

Awesome. Glad to see it's on the road. You beat my first outing by 8/10 and 2 mph. How does it cruise with that kind of stall? I am going to start installing my th350 with ~4500 stall this week. Kinda concerned with how it's going to cruise on the highway with that big of a converter.

JT

Impressive!!!!!

There you go guys the alternative to the rb26!!!!! That will be my next swap if i ever get ths one back :twak:

I am wondering the same thing about the converter. Please post your results once its done. I will be running a 2 speed powerglide with a 6000 stall, and a big tranny cooler with an electric fan. Kinda wondering if it will be ok for the 45 mile ride to the track.

Car has tons of potential and crowd appeal. Needs a line-loc for better burnouts, better foot brakes (rear) or hand brake to take advantage of that stall, fix the shifter problem, get the AFR down to about 11.50+, and a little more seat time and the car will break into 10s w/o touching the boost, and at 20psi Mike has not even gotten the attention of that turbo yet.

Not to steal Mike's glory but to add to the frustration of the day, I broke on the very pass. Got there early to do an easy shakedown pass and left the line with a lazy launch (1.94). Started feeling a nasty vibration at the 1/8-mile, eased off the throttle a little and the rear driveshaft u-joint let go big time at the 1000'. Coasted thru at 107mph and the car still went 11.50. Gonna have to revist my driveline alignment as it seems something is awry as this is a 3" steel shaft with the big Spicer joints, same as I used in the GNZ.

Big time KUDOS to Speeder for taking time from his day to drive me home to get my P'uP workhorse and tow me home. Nothing like having friends ready and willing when you ned them. Despite the frustration, it was great to hang with a bunch of Zers once again. Lets do this more often.

Not to forget, congrats to Ken for getting Carlos' stock L28ET 240Z down the track nicely with a 13.75 and 13.73. Hey bracket racer :D. For a Zer, it was great to see Ken and Mike line up and run. Mini-SEZ.

I went to OSW on Wednesday but no Z-cars showed up. There where alot of fast cars at OSW.

Z-Gad' date=' glad that you got your car running.

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

great catching up with another face behind a keyboard and chatting face-to-face with a real quck running gearhead. Sorry you could not have hung around for another day. Despite the woes we faced at the track, there were some really awesome cars and SCARY fast bikes at the track.

I was bummed when I heard that you broke on the first pass Scottie. I guess it is convenient to live only a few miles from the track :-)

Stony and JT, I didn't notice any wierd stuff with the 4200 stall in highway cruise mode. My speedo isn't working (I think the speedo gear in the tranny is the culprit), but I drove past one of the speed sensor signs on the highway and at a constant throttle of 3000 rpm's, I was doing 65 mph with 3.36 gears and 285/40/17 tires. I imagine the 6000 stall may be a little different though.

hey mike what kind of shifter do have? is it the b&m star shifter?

i have the same problems with my shifter in my cutlass. i installed it about a month ago and noticed the same thing.

ratchet first to second but no ratchet to third.

i dont have a problem with it slipping into neutral it shifts fine but it doesnt ratchet back like the first to second shift.

let me know what u find out.

congrats on the shakedowns sorry i couldnt make it. i really wanted to meet some more hybridz-ers

maybe next time

scottie.. sorry to hear about your GN7.

its cool to hear about you guys helping each other out. thats awesome!!

I was bummed when I heard that you broke on the first pass Scottie. I guess it is convenient to live only a few miles from the track :-)

Stony and JT' date=' I didn't notice any wierd stuff with the 4200 stall in highway cruise mode. My speedo isn't working (I think the speedo gear in the tranny is the culprit), but I drove past one of the speed sensor signs on the highway and at a constant throttle of 3000 rpm's, I was doing 65 mph with 3.36 gears and 285/40/17 tires. I imagine the 6000 stall may be a little different though.[/quote']

Do you have a trans temp gage?

kinda curious what kind of temps you are getting just crusing

No, I didn't install a tranny temp gauge yet, but it would be a good thing to have. I'll add it to my list.

Regarding the shift linkage, there are 4 holes in the plate which bolts to the tranny. I was just informed that each hole is for a different type of tranny (TH400, TH350, Powerglide, etc). I may have attached the cable to the wrong hole, causing my problems. Does anyone know which hole is TH400 specific? Scottie, maybe your 400 guru could tell ya...

mike

I forgot which shifter you have but most B&M ratchet shifters use the same cable brackets. Note I said brackets because they supply "one-fits-all" brackets so using the proper holes on the bracket for the cable end AND the bracket that bolts to the pan is critical.

Here are the instructions for the Pro-Ratchet I used on the GNZ. If the brackets look different, then back up on the URL to "products" and find the instructions specific to your model.

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/20.pdf

Thanks for the link Scottie. That will help. I'm going to crawl under the car and see what I find...

thumper - I plan on running 17-18 psi on pump gas and will probably try a couple of 30 psi runs on C-16. It will probably be a whle before the car sees the C-16 though, but it will happen