HybridZ

Turbo LS1 FD

Just when I though it was safe to come back to hybrid z!!! I just happen to have a 93 rx7 that just hit the 90,000 mile mark. I know the motor's gonna blow at any moment and it's gonna need an LS1 conversion. They have an LS1 RX7 in the current edition of Sport Compact Car (I rarely read ricer mags, but I was bored and had to kill some time while the wife was shopping) and the thing still handled great. If only it didn't cost a fortune to convert.

Guest DriftingisLame

Sport compact car is probably the least ricer of all the ricer mags... I like it purely because of the ultimate street car challenge, so I've read both of those issues inside and out =P

I especially enjoyed the LS1 FD.. To all the ricers/drifter touge battle takayama JDM tight guys that think a big ol heavy doh mes tik v8 will kill the handling, take a look at who won the skidpad with something like a 1.08g!

silicone boy, You will love the ls1 if you put it into your RX7. I went down to the SCC event with Mark(the owner of the ls1/fd). They even took a pic of me welding a broken part on page 62.

Cost for the swap. About $8000 if you do the swap.

Mike

I'm becoming more intriqued with the LS1 FD swap. I takes away all the weaknesses of an otherwise perfectly excecuted vehicle. It's hard to get more that 320 hp out of the rotary and keep it streetable, and it would be no sweat with the LS1. Can you use the stock differential/axleshafts? Also, since you are using the T56, I assume you have to modify the tranny mount. Do you have to modify the trans tunnel for the tranny to fit/shifter to work? Thanks in advance.

Guest BoostedZ350
That way you can spend 20k

Instead of 6-8k to do it yourself - Car not included

So, at least it will be done right and by people who have performed the swap numerous times before....But if you can't fork the money then so be it. You'll be busting your hands up on it in your front drive way lol. Not I though.