HybridZ

It's been a while .. the GTO

chelle

Heya guys,

It's been a while and I seem to be able to connect to this today (military base I work for usually blocks it) so I thought I would post some updated pics

Here's a couple more recent pics

There is a lister here Tom in North Carolina who I sold some parts - I recently found a few pieces he needed I wanted to send him if somone could let him know I'm back :)

thanx

Chelle

GTO-post00472.jpg

GTO-post00477.jpg

GTO-post00482.jpg

GTO-post00484.jpg

GTO-post00490.jpg

Thanx guys,

The interior isn't completely done - likely that will be over the winter as I want to install a Vintage Air setup. Also this winter we will probably go ahead and wetsand and buff the car out. The paint looks better in the pics and outside than it does indoors as there's a bit of orangepeel that will go away with sanding and buffing.

Dr_Hunt,

here and in the "other engines" section I have posted a bunch of pics and info, but the short version is 77 280z with Alpha1 kit done like 15 years ago by a father and son, we drove it a few years and last Feb went crazy on it in our spare time. ("We"= me and my roomie)

Brief list of modifications:

changed every body panel

installed trunk

converted to RHD

added 4.125" to front framerails/wheelbase

recessed firewall

BMW V12 and 6 speed trans

Engine converted to dry sump and mounted completely behind the front crossmember and lowered

Rollbar

Fuelcell

still to come:

brake and suspension upgrades

A/C and Stereo

Fire system

etc...

:)

Chelle

:)

Thanx,

Mike - the steering rack is the normal one - LHD and RHD use the same crossmember and everything. The parts are the same but you have to disassemble them and reassemble them in the RHD configuration.

Here's the pic of the rack installed using all the stock parts. You'll note that the crossmember is dimpled on both sides.

Chelle

GTO-front23.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

My only beef with the GTO replicas is that the typical wheel/tire combination looks too small in those huge fenders. SpeedRacer's being the only exception. Maybe his is just lower than most, I don't know, but it works.

You've done an amazing job on that car. I hope you and the guy who you sold the parts to get things worked out. Last I heard, he was pretty pissed off.

We, me and my roomie. Thank god, for a minute there I though you had a mouse in your pocket.

Yeah, color sanding will definately eliminate the orange peel. Get a can of cheap black paint. splatter coat it before you wet sand it and just sand it until you remove the splatters, that way you'll have a nice even sanded finish.

BMW V12, hmmmm What kind of ponies are you putting out? I'm going to check the pics out later this evening. That frame and steering changeover looks really nice BTW.

I've always said that If I could find a woman who likes the smell of gas/methanol/diesel, then I'd marry her. Still haven't found her yet, but I'm lookin'

Jamie,

yeah, I agree on the wheels, as soon as I switch to coilovers on the back I'm going to try going to 16" x 10" Daytons

Well, Tom was justified in being annoyed. Combine my job (I'm a defense contractor doing computer work for the Navy) with my seeming inability to mail things in a timely manner and anyone waiting to get something in the mail from me is bound to be annoyed. I get sent all over the planet sometimes with less than a days notice. Then when I am around I am so backed up with tasks I get further behind..

It's a good thing my job isn't one that requires me to mail anything, I'd be broke.

Anyway - if you know how to reach him ask him to send his address .. I found the mount for the grill emblem, the inner fenders and still have a box of wires for him in storage.

Dr_Hunt,

Thanx :) It hasn't been on the dyno, but we are expecting that it's around 500. Stock it was 300(net), but we are running open exhaust, no power accessories, better flowing intakes, and a much better computer with better ignition.

Chelle

Chelle, I know how hard it is to get stuff done while working for the Navy. How do I know? I'm a Navy Chief! I have been following your car for a while now. And I have to say. Bravo Zulu! Do you have any new pics of the engine in the car and its placement? If not, could you post some? Also, you are absolutely right to put the bigger Daytons on the car. I think it would make the car look more regal.

Raymond Brown, GMC, USN

Navy Chief, Navy Pride!