HybridZ

My RB is in

z_cars_rule

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if the RB20DET fits into the 280zx that easily' date=' why not the Z?

Just wondering...

Edit: my understanding (now) is that everything should bolt into the Z with the shorter rb20 transmission and z31 mounts, correct?

-Oliver[/quote']

I didnt use the 200ZR mounts, i used the skyline mounts. the only thing i used was the 200ZR sump and oil pickup.

I would imagine that it should all bolt up to the Z, thing i am not sure about would be the gearbox mount.

well ill find out more info on the rb20 and 25 engine mounts as my engine supplier has both in stock.

and i have a 280ZX i can use as a project car for it....

damnit not another fricken car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

well it looks like I am going to have to wait until the end of January to finish her and get on the road.

My tuner has said that he is now too busy to do my work and i dont trust anyone else with the work.

This just gives me a chance to clean up then engine bay with new hoses etc.

• 1 month later...

The car runs!!!

I ended up using an EMS 8860 for the ECU.

Running stock boost i pulled 221 rwhp (in shootout mode, so no 'fake' numbers can be produced.)

the thing has instant boost, i have not got a working tacho at the moment so i cannot go all out, just play it by ear.

I beat a 2005 WRX STi from 80 - 160 kmh, pulled atleast 2 car lengths.

when i get some gauges working i will post up a video of it.

I beleive the RB20DET and RB25DE have the same motor mounts, and also bolt right up to the early and late model Z's. I also know that the DE and 20DET trannys are exacly the same. I just finished my RB25DE swap into my 71'. everything bolted right up, even the drive shaft. AS Far as weight issues, I weighed the RB25DE before i dropped it on and Got:

tranny - 95 lbs -dry

engine - 406 lbs (without clutch flywheel and tranny brackets)

clutch, starter, and tranny brackets - 25 lbs

Flywheel - 18 lbs <----- haha what a joke

total weight about 554 lbs with oils.

Maybe 40-60 lbs heavier than the L28 i think. also, the Rb measures around 1/2 inch shorter on the backside of the engine compared to the L28, however, the Rb sits in the exact same place the L28 does on the front. but, thats using the stock mounts that is.

As far as handling issues, i think it doesnt change it at all. maybe even compensated the weight for my 6 pt. roll cage!

P1000165.JPG

Hood clearence

P1000166.JPG

P1000170.JPG

P1000184.JPG

Driver side mount

P1000183.JPG

Passenger side mount.

P1000196.JPG

Front clearence

01192006.JPG

Rear Clearence

P1000195.JPG

exhaust clearence

very nice EMWHYR0HEN, I was originally going to go with the 25DE, but for the same money i got a 20DET.

Have you got any dyno numbers or 1/4 times?

Also, does anyone have an approximate 1/4 time for me, i am currently using some very sticky 235/65/14s on the back.

I recently found the pictures of the trial fit of an RB20 in my 78 Fairlady Z. Measurements from the stock R32 Skyline mounts to the transmission mounts were the same as the original L motor. The L series transmission mount bolted right up. The Automatic drive shaft splines slid into the RB20 5-speed with no problems. However, I never did try to bolt up the drive shaft.

img/ http://www.fairladyzg.comimagesrb20trialfit1.jpg />img

img/ http://www.fairladyzg.comimagesrb20trialfit2.jpg />img

My preference is to move the engine back a few inches. Perhaps everything would have bolted up and worked with no custom work. The shifter obviously would have been further forward.

The Z is now completely awaiting reassembly with an RB30/26DETT combo. Had this bright idea of completely stripping it down, new paint, weather strip, bushings etc.

Nope, no dyno #'s or official 1/4 mile times yet. I have the stock top half of the header, but i had a muffler shop make the lower half of it and he used 1 inch piping on it and made some horable flowing collector to join in with my exhisting 2.5 inch exhaust. I have to post a picture of it its just plain funny to see an inline six with such skinny piping. so i know im losing alot of power there, currently searching for a good free flowing header.

even still with a horable exhaust flow, the RB25DE still has a good midrage torque and a clean linear pull to redline (7000 RPM). however, im running an r200 with 3.5 gears and im not happy with the gearing match with the rb25de tranny. my 2nd gear max's around 65-70, which is just too high for me becuase I 'm trying to make the car achive good roadrace chararteristics.

would anyone suggest a 3.9 rear end or 4.11 for my set up?

anyway, the way my car is right now which is:

71 240Z

RB25DE

Cold air intake

2.5 inch header back w/ borla

3.5 R200

195/50/14's

6 pt cage

I G-teched it on a backroad and ran a 14.4 @ 91 mph

not so impressive, but my new 27mpg is!

Heres a recent picture I took on an Angeles Crest run.

P1000667.JPG