HybridZ

Jeep into a ZX??

Guest RaiZed

I have a killer line on a 2001 Jeep 4.0 L6 engine and matching 5 speed tranny.36,000 MI out of a Cherokee (was wrecked in the rear) $1000.00 computer and all........

I THINK the 4.0's are rated at around 225 HP and there are super and turbo chargers plus other components out there that can reach the 400 HP range very very easily... 400 HP for about $2,500.00 + fab materials..

Has this ever been done?

Original? HMMMMMMM a Jeep powered ZX!

Whats the thoughts of the Pros on this one?

Guest DoTheDrew888

I've posted about this engine before. You might want to search for the old post, there was some pretty good info in it. Anyway, I have compared the two engines side by side and the size is very close. I don't think there will be much of a fittment issue. Most people don't like the idea of a Jeep engine in a sports car because of the fact that it wont rev like it should. BUT... the stock redline on an L28 is 5300rpm and the stock redline on a 4.0L is also 5300rpm. I think it would be a fun project considering you could make a ton of torque with the 4.0L.

You can lower the height a little by replacing the oil pan with some thing a little shorter.

But you would still need a hood cowl than would run from the front of the hood all the way to the back of it.

Plus its a very torquey engine and doesn't like to rev very high and its SOHC.

Most of the after market stuff for it are for off-roading apps.

My buddy has a modded 4.0 sahara. The thing is an animal from 0-60 but thats about it. He is also running 4.10 gears, and jeeps are bricks with wheels. But still, I cant see a jeep I6 in a z being worth the cost to do it. But thats my opinion, I think it would be creative to see built, and interesting to ride in. I dont think anyone's done it, its bound to happen sometime.

Guest DoTheDrew888

Every 280ZX I have owned (4 of them) has indicated redlined at 6500rpm but stock L28s start losing power after 5300rpm. Both of my friend's 4.0L Jeeps have indicated redline at 5300rpm.

Any engine can be made to rev, the only thing is why? And how high? and for how long?

For a 6 Cyl to produce more power the easiest method is to rev it harder but with a V8 it will usually produce its power/toque much lower in the rev range so the 5300 rpm limits for each type do not equal the same thing! I am not familiar with the Jeep V8 but I can’t see any problem producing “More Power†it would all depend on availability of parts.

I assume it is Fuel Injected, so all the normal Hop up things will still work (cam, headers, exhaust head work Etc.) so if the $$$ for the swap works out to be a good deal then why not. And remember the OLD all alloy V8 in the Range Rover (Ex Buick if memory serves) is also the same basic engine in many UK sedans and sports cars. So I say an engine is an engine Etc.Etc.

Chuckie:twisted: