HybridZ

Looking for Engine Advice PLEAAAAASE!

jl87ma

He built it before my time, my oldest brother was a baby(hes now 28). From my knowledge, The electrcal systems, oiling systems, ignition, ect... was all his own designs. Hes been building race engines since before he was old enough to drive. To this day he just finished a 550 Hp N/A 350 well 383 for his friends Blazer, another 400hp ford small block for his bosses willies. And most amazing a near 400Hp 350 that runs on propane for his bosses 56 bel-air. All fed through Edelbrock 4bbl carbs. I can ask him the details of the 327 he built next time I talk to him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He built it before my time, my oldest brother was a baby(hes now 28). From my knowledge, The electrcal systems, oiling systems, ignition, ect... was all his own designs. Hes been building race engines since before he was old enough to drive. To this day he just finished a 550 Hp N/A 350 well 383 for his friends Blazer, another 400hp ford small block for his bosses willies. And most amazing a near 400Hp 350 that runs on propane for his bosses 56 bel-air. All fed through Edelbrock 4bbl carbs. I can ask him the details of the 327 he built next time I talk to him.

Ya, but Im guessing those don't rev to 14,000!!! But if what you said about the 14,000rpm v8 is true, thats amazing. Must be some custom grind eh. Did he put an OHC head on the chevy block? I remember reading somewhere that there was a copany making DOHC heads for chevy 350's not sure if they acctually made more power or revved higher, I would assume they did though.

No those other motors dont rev to 14,000, maybe 7000. Yes everything on his 327 was custom done. He used different parts from other engines, bigger oil pump, fuel pump, everything was blueprinted and balanced. Now the thing I didnt menton, granted he did manage to build it and drive it, the motor DID not last long, simply just a project to see if he could pull it off. As I mentioned he has been building hot rods and customs his whole life, even before he could drive. He is simply a backyard mechanic who has studied everyway possible to "tweak" a motor and get amazing results, as I said he is a backyard mechanic and those crazy projects as his 327 were just temporary, he finally settled with another, more streetable 9000 RPM 327 in it.

As of the DOHC 350's, I myself have not heard of any, but now my minds at work and must findout for myself.

I saw an engine builder article in one of the hot rod type magazines years ago about a guy who adapted 4-cylinder dohc porsche heads to work on a small block, but i've been searching for almost an hour and can't come up with a picture of it. I'm almost positive that it was popular hot rodding's engine builders challenge, but i've been through all the results pages on their website and can't find a thing...anybody else remember that?

Guest Phil1934

I see it's more of an engineering exercise with him. Big adavantage would be elimination of pushrod allows port optimization, but no benefit if working with existing castings. In other spot on his site he also adapted 4 valve Porsche head to BBC but mismatch in flow/CID would again not gain much. And I was never a big believer that pushrod and rocker weight that big a deal. In fact he had to go back to rockers to get decent valve action so only difference is pushrods.