Poll for 240Z: V8 or L28ET?

Guest hartzpad

240Z swap: LT1 V8 or L28ET?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. 240Z swap: LT1 V8 or L28ET?

• LT1 V8
    • L28ET

Guest hartzpad

I'm going to be starting a search for a 240Z to build up. I will use it as 3rd car for weekend fun, maybe an autocross here and there, nothing serious. I had a 240 with a built high compression L28 and triple Mikini carbs, putting down 225-250 hp. I have never driven a Z with a V8 or turbo. Which is more reliable? I would assume the V8 is more reliable than the L28ET as long as it is a clean conversion. Also, am I asking for trouble if I want to find a car that has already had the engine swapped? I know that is asking for trouble, but it seems that there are a ton of V8 and Turbo 240Z's out there for great prices, much less than doing all the work myself. I love V8 torque but I've own my share of turbocharged cars (Audi 1.8T for one) and know that boost can be addicting. Which did you choose and why?

If a V8, I plan to use an LT1 with a T5 (maybe a T56 if I can find one) but I've also considered a carbed V8 because of price and ease of installation, maybe Holley Pro-Jection. I can handle everything about the LT1 swap except the wiring, I'm not very confident on the wiring. Is the LT1 wiring something that can be done with a good manual? From what I've seen, wiring gives people the most problems on cars that have been poorly swapped.

I've been making good use of the search function, but I haven't been able to search for "v8 vs. turbo". Thanks.

Guest hartzpad
Drive an V8z then drive an L28etz and pick whichever gives you the most joy.

That's much easier said than done. There are ton's of Z's in California where I used to live, but here in utah, there are very few. I haven't found a V8 or turbo yet.

depends on what you want and your budget. I personally dont like the LT1. Out of those two i would pick the L28ET. If you dont want a 450-500rhwp car, then i dont really see a reason for going to a V8. The L28ET will pull hard, and sounds great, has great reliability and easy to work with. And its the original motor. Also a turbo is alot more fuel efficent than a N/A monster. ( Unless you're spooling it up at every stoplight)

Guest hartzpad
depends on what you want and your budget. I personally dont like the LT1. Out of those two i would pick the L28ET. If you dont want a 450-500rhwp car, then i dont really see a reason for going to a V8. The L28ET will pull hard, and sounds great, has great reliability and easy to work with. And its the original motor. Also a turbo is alot more fuel efficent than a N/A monster. ( Unless you're spooling it up at every stoplight)

Good advice. I have seen way more L28ET converted cars than V8 converted cars for sale. No tranny mods either, bolt on everything. Another factor, I live at 4550 ft. (with fun roads up to 7500 ft.), so you do notice a loss of power in N/A cars, but all the turbo cars I've owned feel the same up here round 7000 ft. as at sea level.

Can you tell me what you don't like about the LT1? I just figured it was rated at around 300 hp in most cars, has good fuel injection, very good supply and they are cheaper than LS1's.

Good advice. I have seen way more L28ET converted cars than V8 converted cars for sale. No tranny mods either' date=' bolt on everything. Another factor, I live at 4550 ft. (with fun roads up to 7500 ft.), so you do notice a loss of power in N/A cars, but all the turbo cars I've owned feel the same up here round 7000 ft. as at sea level.

Can you tell me what you don't like about the LT1? I just figured it was rated at around 300 hp in most cars, has good fuel injection, very good supply and they are cheaper than LS1's.[/quote']

i worked on a on several LT1's and i just dont like the overall feel of the engine. Its not a smooth as the LS1 and some other comparable V8's. Its not a bad engine, i guess, but it wouldnt be my first choice, lets put it that way. Here's some info on it

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

Why not LT1-TT? Best of both worlds.

If you go EFI, go LSx, but now they have a carb setup for LS1 so why not go LS1 w/carb? I went LT1 for the personal belief that those parts are the most plentiful and cheapest. And I found that to be moderately true.

However with alum block LSx and T-5 you'll be closer to original for weight, certainly closer than LT1 with T56.

My next build will definately go LSx EFI N/A now that I've got the mechanics of the swap all figured out. I probably took 3 months off the project by using plug and play carb and that was also good.

I did the LT1 with T5 swap and am very happy with it. I swapped the stock cam for an LT4 Hot Cam with better valve springs and retainers but left everything else stock except the computer tune. The wiring is not difficult it just takes time. I used the stock harness and just deleted the circuits I didn't need. Once thats done just give the PCM +12 switched, non-switched and a good ground and your in business.

After market support is decent for the LT1 but parts are more expensive than standard SBC parts.

My original plans were to swap in a Ford 302 with a T5 but I ran across the LT1 for a good price before finding a good 302 so I changed directions. I still want to do a Ford swap some day but will drive this for a while before doing another.

Oleh,

What about the "feel" of the LT1 didn't you like?

Wheelman

LT-1 is so reliable compared to a highly stressed turbo engine. LT-1 is a great engine. I owned Lt-1 with a chip (worthless) and a Kand N it ran 13.5. Ablsolutey amazing engine. LS1 is even better.

PS I built a LS1 and presently have a I6 Turbo 2jz_gte Supra powered 240Z. So starting out I cannot recommend a anything better than a modern GM v8.

but all the turbo cars I've owned feel the same up here round 7000 ft. as at sea level.

Both NA and turbo suffer from the same percentage loss at altitude. The difference is that the turbo boost can be turned up to negate the altitude until you run out of the turbos range.

That being said do which ever swap happens for you. Whichever engine shows up for a good price first. I fully intended to do a V8 swap, but an L28ET engine dropped in my lap for cheap so I went that direction.

Depends on what type of wastegate you use...

So you would see the change on the boost gauge. At sea level the gauge would show maybe 10psi. At 7000 feet the wastegate control has changed with altitude and the gauge would show around 13psi. I should have made a trip up pikes peak before I sold the car and see how the ball/spring controller behaved.

Guest hartzpad

Keep the advice coming, all very good posts.

I'm leaning towards finding an already swapped L28ET car due to the fact that trannies, driveshafts, R-200's, etc. do not require any fabrication. Plus, I have seen way more nice L28ET swapped cars for less than $5000 than V8 swapped Z's. I figure I can get the mill up to around 250 hp reliably and without too much cost and drive it while I concentrate on suspension, brakes and interior/exterior. If I grenade the L28ET or hit a wall where I can't really make any more power without tons of $$$$, I can always sell the engine/5 speed and do the LS1/T56 swap at that time. By then, I should already have an LSD R200, a good suspension setup and anything else that I would definitely need with a V8 more than with an L28ET.

Just makes sense to start with a platform that I basically am already familiar with having built 2 different N/A L28's in the past.

I have already found several L28ET swapped Z's in California for under $5000 that look decent w/ R200, 5 speed, etc. already done.

Sound like a plan?

Comparing a relatively stock American V8 with a moderately-built L28T or other small-displacement turbo engine, the main difference comes down to how much you value low-end torque. If low-rpm torque is not important, go with the turbo – it’s an easier swap. If the low-end torque is important (and for me it’s the meaning of life, existence and the universe) then it would be difficult to beat a traditional large-displacement V8.

Weight, reliability and ease of maintenance are comparable, assuming a “clean†installation in both cases. Just about every claim of XYZ swap being a nose-heavy, overweight, temperamental pig will have a counter-example.

And in either case it’s definitely true that you’d be money-ahead and time-ahead by purchasing some one else’s conversion, instead of starting from scratch.

Guest hartzpad
Comparing a relatively stock American V8 with a moderately-built L28T or other small-displacement turbo engine' date=' the main difference comes down to how much you value low-end torque. If low-rpm torque is not important, go with the turbo – it’s an easier swap. If the low-end torque is important (and for me it’s the meaning of life, existence and the universe) then it would be difficult to beat a traditional large-displacement V8.

Weight, reliability and ease of maintenance are comparable, assuming a “clean†installation in both cases. Just about every claim of XYZ swap being a nose-heavy, overweight, temperamental pig will have a counter-example.

And in either case it’s definitely true that you’d be money-ahead and time-ahead by purchasing some one else’s conversion, instead of starting from scratch.[/quote']

Thanks. I love V8 torque, but I always miss high rev's in V8's, unless its a BMW 4.4 V8 or other import V8 that have good torque and love to rev as well. I also love the surging torque that a turbo produces. While I love both, I hate it when a low end torque V8 runs out of steam after 5000 or so, it is a let down.

Dad's '64 Corvette Stingray w/ factory fuel injected 327/375hp is a great combination of decent low-end torque but with great high revs. It feels like it has a motorcycle like powerband after 4000 rpm. That was always the inspiration behind me wanting a V8 Z back in the day.