HybridZ

Rear Suspension Clarifications

I have been searching around recently concerning the swap of 280z stub axles into a 240z's strut. Basically I am lost in terminology. I understand that the stub axle is the short axle that fits in the strut and connects the 1/2 shaft to the wheels, but what is a companion flange? Is the companion flange simply the 4 bolt flat surface that the half shafts bolt onto on the strut side of the IRS?? If so, what are the short splined shafts that fit into the sides of the diff called that bolt to the half shafts? Sorry for all the newb questions.

Thanks for clarification. Okay so, If i were to swap in 280z stub axles (which should fit in a 240z rear strut perfectly, right?) I would also have to match the new stub axle to the correct companion flange, which would also be sourced from a 280z, not the 240z. The 240z and 280z have identical bolt patterns on the companion flange I assume, so the same diff's can be used, correct? So where the diff swaping gets tricky is acctually at the diff stub axles where the spline counts don't match up with the 280z u-joint 1/2 shafts, unless it is a 300zxt's 87-89 lsd non ss. Whew that was alot. I did search, but sorry I just need clarification piecing it all together. Thanks.

Thanks for clarification. Okay so, If i were to swap in 280z stub axles (which should fit in a 240z rear strut perfectly, right?) I would also have to match the new stub axle to the correct companion flange, which would also be sourced from a 280z, not the 240z. The 240z and 280z have identical bolt patterns on the companion flange I assume, so the same diff's can be used, correct? So where the diff swaping gets tricky is acctually at the diff stub axles where the spline counts don't match up with the 280z u-joint 1/2 shafts, unless it is a 300zxt's 87-89 lsd non ss. Whew that was alot. I did search, but sorry I just need clarification piecing it all together. Thanks.

All of the inner splines are the same on any R200 except the VLSD. Any R200 except the VLSD will fit with no issues, and that includes the 87-89 CLSD. I was running halfshafts with the stub shafts from a 280Z R200 in my 87 ZXT LSD diff with no problems for years.

jaime240z' date='

Since you are using Mondern Motorsports axles do you have to use your old spacers (I believe there were three different sizes A,B,C) with this new set-up?

Danno74Z[/quote']

NO, the same spacers were used. This is because the spacers correspond to the housings, not the axles. Hope this helps.

jaime

Thanks jt and Ed260z. I thought the circlip was standard on all of the diffs. The circlip is accesable from inside the diff on the right and left sides or inside the carrier. Sorry if these questions seem rudimentary, I just ismply don't know that much about it. Maybe it is just me who doesn't know much about it, but if there are others maybe someone can post simply the facts into an FAQ so people might benefit.