HybridZ

327 Vs 350

it depends on the year of the 327, the date code is usually on the rear of the block on the bell housing flange. early 327's are small journal engines, which means that the crank journals are smaller than the 350's. the 327 changed to a large journal engine in 68. other than that all parts will interchange. the bore on both engines is 4" the only difference is the crankshaft stroke(3.25 for a 327 and 3.48 for a 350)

You will hear people say the 327 was the best motor ever made, and have to listen about their dad, brother, cousin or uncle that had an Impala or Nova or Camaro etc. that ran circles around the big motor cars. Truth is they were a good little motor, but the tires and suspension back then could not handle the torque of a long stroke motor ie.350,396,402,454, and the 327 made it's power in the upper rpms. The low end was not there to blow away the tires. That's not quite the case any more. If ole dad had raced a car that was running some of todays BFG's or other tires he would have had a real good look of the tail lights. Still, I like the 327 for it's abillity to rev in the upper range. It's cool. Just remember that high rpms kill more motors than anything. You also have to spend extra money to keep parts in your motor to make those rpms. bigger springs, light valves, roller everything. Why not build a bigger cubic inch motor, not turn a million rpms, which will make it last longer and cost less. If you have the bucks and like to hear it sing...find a small journal 327 and stick a 283 crank in it. That will give you a 302, and 9000 rpm shift points are on the way. If you build them right, you can wind them tight.

hey I would love a 350 for the extra cubes! But I cant find them here unless they are total rat sh*t! I can get a new GM 2 bolt mains long block for $3,995! or a core return for like $895!! so still looking theres just a healthy 4 bolt 327 for $1800 up for sale at the moment!

I have no IDEA as to shipping/import cost but ID never pay $1800 for a used 37 YEAR OLD 327,engine, Id STRONGLY suggest spending a few dollars more and getting a NEW engine

http://ohiocrank.com/enginekits.html

388 Street and Bracket Price

Brand new 350 GM 4 bolt block

5140 Steel 3.75 crankshaft

4340 Steel I-beam 6" rods

SRP forged Pistons - Dish, flat, or dome

Race quality rings and bearings

Completely balanced and assembled

$2395

454 Cubic Inch Chevy Pump Gas Small Block

On our Superflo dyno this motor made 455 HP with an amazing 550 ft. lb. of torque. It idles great, runs on 92 pump gas, has good throttle response and driveability. This would be the ideal street rod small block. It features a Motown block, 4340 steel crank, H-beam rods, forged pistons, Canton pan, Sportsman II heads, Motown intake, and roller rockers. It's just really cool to have a 454 SMALL block in your hotrod.

$6995

Guest scarab73
hey I would love a 350 for the extra cubes! But I cant find them here unless they are total rat sh*t! I can get a new GM 2 bolt mains long block for $3,995! or a core return for like $895!! so still looking theres just a healthy 4 bolt 327 for $1800 up for sale at the moment!

You can get a GM goodwrench 4 bolt main long bolck from summit for $1359.99, the part number is 809-10067353, you should call them 1-800-230-3030

P.S. I have a 327 in my autocross 73, and I coulden't be happier with it.

As much of a pain it would be as opposed to buying a new FI 350 (or similar) I would love to build a fuel injected 302 SBC. I wouldn't have to retrain my thought process about when to shift as in the existing L6. A decent 302 build would almost equate to the same shifting patterns, plus have a V8 at that.

Man.. for that kind of money (for used engines in your area) you'd be further ahead to look a little further away.. heck, for the motor/trans I wanted for my rx7 project, I bought a whole donor car (89 chev caprice, 350 FI and 700r4 in great shape) for $160!!! Just had to drive 40 mins and have it towed home. ($50) :lol: I'll rebuild it eventualy, but I got it for practialy nothing so I dont mind. I can't see spending anywhere near $1800 for a used 'unknown' engine, regardless of it's displacement or percived value.

For comparason, a friend of mine is currently rebuilding a 454. (Mk5 block from a 91 dually. Ran ok, but it's a project truck and it was smoking a bit.. :twisted: yah, lets re-build her!!) At a shop, the block was tanked, bored .020", heads were decked and new valves/ect done, and had the crank polished. Then he bought a comp cam (.503 lift, forget duration, power from 2000-6000 I believe), hyperutectic (sp?) pistons/rings, and everything else to assemble the motor (seals, bearings, gaskets, ect) and we're putting it together. Grand total he's into it at this point for just over $2200. Canadian too. Just some food for thought...

Had my 327 for 3 years now 6500 rpms no problem. Small engine lower torque but saves the rear end. Low piston speeds too. A bigger motor is always better. Smaller motors tend to last longer. For me loppy cams and higher rpms are fun. On the other hand a big motor with torque down low is better for the street and quicker. Get the biggest one you can!