HybridZ

Cheaper to run 10s in civic than a mustang!

auxilary

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Well come on guys, on a mustang you actually have to put hard parts on it to make it fast.. On a civic its just stickers, wings and a body kit, maybe a air cleaner and chip and your flying man, flying I tell you.

:D ,

Lone

Ps: Meant in fun, not poking fun at civic owners, just civic owners who believe that article.

Guest Anonymous

Holy S**t, I would like to say this is the first newspaper article i have seen based on pure ignorance, but alas it is not. He may be right about the whole saturn and cavalier wings/exhaust, but i think he is comparing apples to oranges. This whole import thing is getting way out of hand, you have to pay respect to American muscle cars even if you dont like them. Get him behind the wheel of any decent muscle car and watch his perception change.

Reporter: "So you get a rush from street racing?"

Dorky college student: "Oh yes Ma'am! Everytime I race a Geo Metro I feel like I wet my pants in a crowded mall! The rush is incredible!!"

BTW, im going to find a mustang with a decent body and import a 302 from japan. And im going to do it for $100,000 dollars. Just because I can twak.gifbonk.gifcuss.gif

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i wanna know where this article was written, who the idiot is writing the story, and who the complete frickin moron's are who are quoted...unbelievable!

an 87 CRX HF weighs in at 1700 lbs....If you were to slap a motor from a CRV (B20b) and lots of turbo I could see it happening pretty cheap. You can have the internals built up for like $3-5k then get a t3/t4 turbo and run 25 psi. I think 350hp wouldent be too hard to get. 350hp at 1700 lbs comes to a 4.86/1 power to weight. It would take over 500hp for a Z to get this kinda ratio. I am just saying these cars can be REALLY light, and when they are it doesent take too much hp to move them quickly.

I owned a CRX in '86 (late). It was an '87 Si. I think the HF model was heavier than 1700lbs, but I may be wrong. I also think it would be heavier than that with a B20b and a turbo. Even if everything you posted was correct (and it may very well be!), that car would NOT run 10's. No way no how (without alot more mods),(money!!!) eek2.gif

If it was as easy as "slap in a B20b and turbo" there would be 10 sec honda's on every corner and according to their owners, there probably is ;)tongue.gif

I'm sure there is a 10 sec honda somewhere, but I haven't seen one in person. However, I have seen many Stangs, Camaros (and Z's for that matter!). 2thumbs.gif running in the 10's.

Peace

kidvid: sure, it's possible - i've seen it done, and ridden in a 425whp integra before (that thing truly was a rocket), but it's still cheaper and better to do the mustang route than the civic route. Why? reliability and stress on components. Quite honestly, honda blocks are the WEAKEST when it comes to introducing forced induction. The block itself is light, thin cylinder walls, and with introduction of positive manifold pressure, they don't last for a long time. A turbo kit runs about 3k minimum (greddy/draggen3/etc), about same for a supercharger (JRSC/Vortec), a block that would also have to be built up (lowered compression/pistons/rods/etc) would run about 3k for bare, and about 600-800 worth of additional parts. So we're looking at about 4k for block and tranny, 3k minimum for the turbo kit, 7k. Let's say you find a little beater CRX for 1500.

What else is needed to withstand the new power?

-slicks, because a 10second fwd car will NOT be able to get ANY sort of traction through first 4 gears. add another 500-600 for wheels, spacers (because honda offset is 40mm+ typically) and slicks

-once you introduce slicks, what's the first thing that's going to break? - the transaxles! now you need stronger components there too, add another 500. We're at 9500 so far on the bare minimum requirements

-10 second cars require full rollcages - chalk up another 500. we're at 10k now.

-stock clutch isn't going to take that abuse at all - chalk up another 500 or more for a good one.

-limited slip IS required. a quaiffe unit is about a grand.

-more things add up like the fuel pressure regulator that doesn't come with turbos, the much needed intercooler which will be another 800-1000, the exhaust system, new heavy duty injectors, etc.

That's just the basics, and the cost soars above 14-15k without a problem... and this will only net your 11s on the strip for now....a lot more work is needed to be in 10s.

A mustang is much simpler. you already have a large block (compared to honda) to work with. You can buy a beater mustang for 1500-2000, rebuild the 5, convert it to carb setup, put on a set of slick, plop in a rollcage, exhaust, a blower, and wham.

(ok, so the mustang bit isn't THAT easy, but close!) the main advantage a mustang has is that it is already RWD, it already has a relatively strong rear diff that can withstand the abuse, and the gearing can be changed to 4.11:1, which will net quite a difference alone in stock trim. The mustang may have the weigh gain, but you can strip more out of a mustang than you can from a CRX, and the mustang is going to have less traction issues /better launch than the crx. You're starting out with a block that has over 300 ft lbs of torque, vs. a motor with 1/3 that.

Originally posted by Oltmann:

Come on guys, you have to acknowledge that both imports and domestics have good things going for them. If only you could combine the properties of the two...

Oh, wait, it's been done. Just give a visit to www.hybridz.org and check out these guys - they actually take the muscle from a V8 or large displacement turbo inline 6, mate it to a light weight Datsun 240Z (cool looking cars too..), and wham - 10 second cars for less than $10,000 invested!

Who wudda thunk????

I was obviously over simplifing. I dident say it would be cheaper than the mustang. I was just saying that alot of people think it is impossible for a honda to pull down 10s. The CRX HF is 1713lbs btw I looked it up. People dont understand that when you are going that fast weight makes a huge difference. We here at hybridz are strong believers in the power to weight ratio correct? well the lighter hondas have one up on us in weight. The B20 block is no heavier than a normal civic B16...it is like a 400+ ci small block...just bored and stroked. anyway I have to go to work maybe I will post again after.

Here's the best combination of both worlds:

Eddies84CRX.jpeg

Power to weight ratio's there smile.gif

3200 lbs (stock CRX is about 1800 lbs)

Powertrain

Front: Completely Stock and Functional Honda CRX 4-Cylinder Engine (front wheel drive)

Front Engine Drives Air Conditioning, Alternator and Water Pump

Rear: 468 cubic inch Oldsmobile V8, roller cam, 4-71 supercharger

Hilborn 4-port fuel injection

Separate Gas Pedals (one is a flip down)

Shifters for Each Engine

Fuel

Front Engine: Standard Gasoline

Rear Engine: Racing Gas (CAM2)

Three Fuel Tanks - Two for the Front Engine, a Single Five Gallon Tank for the Rear

Drivetrain

Front: Stock Honda Automatic Tansmission

Rear: Toronado Turbo 425 with 10" Racing Converter and 3.08 Gear Ratio

Cooling System

One Radiator in Front for Both Engines - Coolant Supplied via Common Piping System

Exhaust

Front: Stock Honda Single-pipe Exhaust

Rear: Zoomie Headers (Straight Pipes)

Suspension

Front: Stock Honda Front-End Suspension

Rear: Coil Over Independent

Tube Chassis Built from the Firewall back

Wheelie Bars

Tires

Rear: 15" Mickey Thompson Street Tires

Performance

No formal time tests have been made yet, but owner estimates 0-60 in about 2-2.5 seconds, 1/4 mile at 9.25 and 160 mph on about 1000 HP. It handles perfectly straight up to 130 mph - top speed so far. This car does NOT sit in the garage and look pretty. It drives around town and looks "surprisingly normal." That is, until the rear engine is fired up...

I'm impressed, That would be one wicked Honda.

I have seen a pretty wicked sbc honda in Dallas but I turned around to chase him down and ask some questions re: his build but he was gone.

Mike