HybridZ

Got my grades today, too....

patzky1

Got my grades today, too....

This is the email I received from a recruiter about my Air Force Officer's Qualifying Test, or AFOQT, scores.

Patrick, Here are your AFOQT scores. Pilot 99, Nav 94, Acad. Aptitude 97,

Verbal 95, QT 94. I showed the old OTS recruiter and he said you should be a

shoe in. I know they are some of the highest scores I've seen including

engineers. Here is the workbook and the applicant profile. Just complete

them and e-mail them back.

Pretty good, I think! By the way, I also did the Navy's officer test and am applying for a pilot spot with them, as well. I know that they are looking for pilots. Also, this was all spurred by the recent addition of a waiver for soft contact lenses as long as you have 20/40 without them in and correctable to 20/20. Which I am...

I'm excited. I've been thinking about doing this for a while and thought I would share the results with you guys since I feel you have shared so much with me and the rest of the world.

Tell me what you think.

Pat

Patrick' date=' Here are your AFOQT scores. Pilot 99, Nav 94, Acad. Aptitude 97,

Verbal 95, QT 94. I showed the old OTS recruiter and he said you should be a

shoe in. I know they are some of the highest scores I've seen including

engineers. [/quote']

Great scores, Pat! Congrats!! I hope you get what you aim for :2thumbs:

Davy

Well, I do have one more extra skill. I have my commercial pilot's license, instructor certificate, etc that supposedly make me competitive as heck. Yes, though, the one thing is my contacts.

PoP, Bitter? Do you have any personal experiences that you wish to share? I actually have a friend that did engineering and AFROTC. Now he is a button (as in, the big RED button) pusher in ND and doing well, going to move to Cali soon to train button pushers.

Pat

No I have nothing to be bitter about. Don't want you to be either. I knew so many guys in the Navy who joined up thinking they would be a diesel mechanic or a pilot and ended up as a cook or handling a paint chipper.

Nothing wrong with being a button pusher. I hope and pray our nation's best and brightest are the ones sitting in the silos. I also hope they sit there with an overwhelming sense of how important what they are doing is. I thank them.

But I am not making up the part about "coneheads" wearing glasses. Just make sure you understand what you are getting into. If you don't get a written guarantee for a specific job type, then they can assign you anywhere they have a need. Even the guys flying the transports are the cream of the crop.

Thanks for the clarification , Pop. I fully realize that the cream fly transports. Why do you hate America? LOL. Or am I? ANY PILOT SPOT IS A TOP-TIER POSITION IN ANY FORCE. There, I said it. Also, diesel mechanic and cook are ENLISTED positions, so remember that one. My GF's older broter is a Naval aviator (F14's are on their last tour right now) and has given me a lot of advice and support. Also, he has said to definitely get it in writing that I will be going for a pilot spot.

/Sorry, I just had a long day at work.

Pat

Also' date=' I should say that I'm not ONLY looking to join for the pointy go-fast planes. I would also like to fly the S3 Viking, Sea Hawk, or whatever.

Pat[/quote']

Better hurry, the S-3's are being retired, replaced by EF-18's to do the tanking mission so you'll have EF-18's tanking EF-18's. Not the smartest move by NavAir IMHO but it cuts down on the number of different parts they need to take on a cruise. The ASW mission the S-3 was originally designed for has pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Best of luck though,whatever you end up in. Absolutely every military pilot I have ever met has been a top notch person.

• 1 month later...

The Navy board has selected me to train for a pilot position. Supposedly I'm the first pilot app. from NRD Chicago to be accepted to train in the last two years.

I have done the physical exam and Physical Readiness Testing (just did that today). Man, I need to do more pushups and situps or come OCS I will be screwed... My cardio/running is fine, though, as I'm a pretty good and active runner, but I just passed the pushups, with 50 in 2 minutes :} and situps, with 61 in 2 minutes ;} Being young sucks...LOL Also, I could use to lose some weight at 6'1.5" and 206 lbs. While I'm not fat by any stretch, I do weigh in heavy.

Now I still have to do the security clearance and wait until they want me to start, which may be in August (recruiter's guess) or earlier. They start OCS classes about every two weeks, so the possibility of an earlier start exists.

Patsky

Congrats, you better give me some god damn fire-support....

got a 99 and i joined...

I am shooting to go WOC next year with one of the programs the army has and fly whirlybirds.... we will see... i doubt it... but then again i have wanted to fly helocopters since i was 10.... anyone remember gunship2000 >_>

Dont worry about security I just passed and well... lets just say i've already had a NJP and an dishonnerable....... and i still passed clearance.... just 2 things... DONT HIDE ANYTHING AND DONT LIE ABOUT IT B/C they WILL FIND OUT... i remember a while ago some pilot got **** canned for having lazic and had to repay all his flight status pay for the last 8 years or something crazy

You've got your foot in the door so take it all one step at a time. I knew two guys with slots to go to UPT who washed out of OTS because they couldn't hack the training, which was tedious but not difficult. Get in shape before you go or the academics plus chasing the PT test score will simply put more stress on you and it's all about managing the stress. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Going to start OCS at Pensacola on 15 April! I have a crap ton of stuff to do between now and then, like move out of my apartment, do some online naval knowledge courses, actually quit my job, and drive down there. Wish me luck!

I actually am driving up to NSGreatlakes tomorrow morning to sign all the commitment paperwork, etc. It will be for designator 1390, Student Naval Aviator, which is the only way that I will sign.

I hope I get the chance to get online every once in a while whilst I'm down there. Supposedly, each room of four guys gets at least one computer.

After OCS is API, meaning about a total of a half a year before I go anywhere else but P-cola and its surrounging neighbors. So, is anybody near there?

Pat