HybridZ

Turbo LS1 autocrosser

Guest z06vette

Ummmm, that turbo isn't gonna make them happy at all. You defnitely dont want lag on an autocross. Nothing like having boost come online ALL at once out of a corner and you looking like a helicopter...what in the hell is he thinking?????*make this area a CUCKOO emoticon*

Steve

:twak: Its a carb'd LS1!:malebitch I dont really care what anyone says, putting a carb on LS1/LS2/LS6 is DUMB! Yeah I know you save weight with the alluminum block and the heads are great but why sacrfice the full potential of the motor with a carb?

What class would that thing be in anyways?

Guy

Guy, looking closer at it, I see purple fuel rails. Maybe he's gonna use an aftermarket TB with TBI injector setup with it on the carb intake, kinda like my Holley setup. That said, I'd have gone the FAST LSX intake route, gone with potent heads and cam, and been happy with more power than he could ever possibly get out of it on an autoX anyway. Twin turbos on something like that is just wicked excess. Adding more HP will only make that car near impossible to drive towards a TTOD.

Mike

I autocross with 26 psi. You have to know when to start lifting when the boost comes on to keep it from maxing. He'll have to be real carefull with a turbo V8 though. I don't think that turbo will last long though mounted sideways. The front bearings need oil too and the rear seal will leak.

I'm pretty sure that turbo is just sitting there on the frame-rail.

If you think about it how is the exhaust going to exit right into the frame-rail.

Looks like a single plane carb intake coverted to Fuel Injection - Probably going to put a 90 degree elbow on it and run a normal 90mm TB just like alot of high hp cars do.

Andy

Guest asad137
I'm pretty sure that turbo is just sitting there on the frame-rail.

If you think about it how is the exhaust going to exit right into the frame-rail.

Ah, yes, you're absolutely right. My bad.

Asad

Guest Super73

I thought I would answer some of your questions / concerns on the car and give you an idea of my plans with it.

You always here of someone trying to do everything in one car. From drag racing, road racing, auto-x, cruising ect. Well, I'm taking that aproach, but a little differently.

The current setup is a 348ci 8.5-1 LS1, T56 tranny, PT91 turbo, Ford 9" with 3.50 gears. The first object is to get the car running. Then I'm going to do some ORR events in it and some street driving.

With in a year of it being on the road, I plan on putting a ladder bar in the car and dropping some sort of auto in it (TH400 or Glide). The nice thing is the suspension design will easily allow for removal of the 3-link stuff and easy install of a ladder bar. I will be buying a second set of coil overs front and back for ease.

Some time later the car will be seeing a smaller turbo as well for things like auto-x ect. My line of thinking is put the biggest turbo I plan on using in first and the smaller one will be easier to fit.

The car will be running on Accel Gen7 and be fuel injected. That should cover most everything discussed so far.

Shaun

Guest Super73

I don't really like speculating on numbers. With this set up I could see it hitting 1k rwhp with c16 and 25psi of boost. The PT91 should have just enough air flow to support the 348ci at 8,200 rpm.

As far as 1/4 mile numbers. With the T56, slow :) Who knows with a good auto/brake setup.

Shaun,

If you can, please keep us updated on your progress with the car. We are a bunch of car nut here and love to see this type of work (pretty darn nice BTW).

I don't know how much you'll be logging in here, but we'd love to have you here once in a while to talk about the car and the progress (we require pictures!! :mrgreen: )

Good to have you here.

Davy