HybridZ

ls1 spark plug removal?

i was putting in new plugs [before i fire it up for the first time] and the only one that is a challenge is the 3d from front on the drivers side. i have the jtr headers and can't seem to get the plug socket in there. anyone else have the same issue? if so, any solutions-other than dropping the header to change the plug?

Guest FasterbyFosta

I had the same issue with the sanderson headers, which JTR may be using. I had to use an open end wrench from the bottom to get some off. I fixed it by clearancing the header flange back with a grinder.

I think that one from Thunder was designed for the passenger side rear. Problem is that Sanderson put the tube too close to the plug and just putting the socket on the plug will break it. A thin wall spark plug socket will work if you grind down the ratchet end for clearance.

Hmm - I hadn't noticed this problem with mine with the JCI headers. Then again, compared to plug removal on any engine in an F-body this has to be easy. It took my son and I, working together, over three hours and half the tools in my garage, to change out the plugs on the 3.8L V6 in his '97 Firebird.

Hmm - I hadn't noticed this problem with mine with the JCI headers. Then again, compared to plug removal on any engine in an F-body this has to be easy. It took my son and I, working together, over three hours and half the tools in my garage, to change out the plugs on the 3.8L V6 in his '97 Firebird.

The other 7 are a breeze. Your prototype header must be different than the production one's.

Anyone know if the JCI LS headers are different from the JTR ones?

JCI is $20 less' date=' but JTR offers ceramic coat (for $125 more)[/quote']

The JCI headers are the 1 1/2" primaries and the JTR headersare 1 3/4" primaries unless JCI changed size of the ones they offer. I think everyone except Phantom is running the 1 3/4" ones.

They are made by Sanderson Headers and we need to thank John -LS1240Z, Mike - MAS280 and Joey - LS1Z as they were the ones that paid the big bucks for the original ones that they made a jig from so that we could buy them at such a great price.

I have the Ceramic coated ones and I am very happy with mine. They fit well and look and sound great.