HybridZ

Top Speed?

Guest Anonymous

Same suspension, tires, air dam, a Califonia wing, and NO belly pan. Very stable..I felt confident, considering the road is not all that straight, and has hills and valleys to it.

Car is even more stable and the handling is beyond my expectations with the midship configuration.

Race car like.. without much of the racecar harshness.

:D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "x" daily driver was a bone stock automatic 75 280z 2+2, and I've had it up to 135 on a backroad, handled great, no shimmy after 100 in the front end, had more pedal left, I backed off due to not being able to afford a ticket. I ran the piss out of that car every day and loved it. The car had rusted out rockers and radiator support, the driver side rear a arm bushing(rearmost of the two) was missing in action lol, etc. you get the picture. But no matter how hard I rode her,no matter what I threw at her she took it, EVERY DAY. Point- guess the ol gal handled better all wore out, holy, and soft than I ever expected, therefore bringing a deeper and closer love for the old Z's. rockon.gif

Guest V8wannabe

I had my stock 76 280Z up to 135mph, hit a small knoll and damn near had lift off!!!! I had no control the whole time I floated down the back side of the hill, luckily it stayed on the road. Suspension upgrades and good aerodynamics are a must at 120+ or the nose turns into a wing!!

Iv'e had my Z up to 135 and it was smooth as silk. It is a V8 powered 1971 240Z. Zr and Vr rated tires with front spoiler and after market Nissan comp springs and Tokico struts.

Mike

The Z I took to an "Indicated" 115mph. I'm at stock 4 speed, and at 60 i am doing 55, so i guess i was doing about 108 or so (r200 rear diff, but stock speedo gear).

The neon i took to calculated 133mph. I was doing 6100rpm in 5th.

My bike I took to 150 indicated, and let off. It was still pulling

Prolly the fastest i have ever gone was in a 2000 rental dodge neon automatic. No Kidding! I was going across loop 12 into Dallas at about 2 AM (doin 85 or so) when a late 70's porsche 911 blows by me like i'm standing still. So of course, since it's a rental, I floor it. I keep it floored. Max out 100 MPH speedo. 4 miles later, slowly creep past porsche...

Bill

Fastest ever was fully maxed out '82 Datsun 280ZX n/a, redline in 5th. I calculate around 135mph.

Fastest in the current Z: 120mph, race against a Ferrari. Stupid me, I hate taking it like that on the street. smile.gif

Hope to soon hit 120+ traps. :D

Guest Anonymous

142mph according to my digital speedo. I was testing nitrous and got a little carried away.I don`t want to know how fast my shoebox would be on the juice in 6th.

Guest silverbullet

Think I'll add my .02, totally stock 77-280 (5-speed) except for tires + wheels just after I bought it about 10 yrs. ago me and a friend(each 200+ lbs.)took it onto I-5 at night and hit a little over 140 on the speedo don't know what we were really doing but we had a good wind coming at us from the right front and this was my first experience with the front end instability of the 1st gen Z and it freaked me out so even though I had a little more to go I decided to quit while I was ahead.

'77 280Z, 6,000 rpms (my redline) with a TH350 (no lockup), 3.54, 215/65/15's. So, whatever that adds up to.

Anybody? It must be approximately 140...

This was before I got the right speedo gear for the tailhousing and I haven't done so since.

BTW, a spoiler on the front made a big difference for me since the suspension is more or less stock. It used to get squirrely at about 120 or so (when it still had the L6) but was only starting to act up at my top speed with the spoiler on.

Stock '83 280zx (na)...left the Dakota standing still...he was pegged between 115 and 120...it was a buddy of mine. I figure 125...maybe a little better. We were on a good stretch of road. His tires were stock, so I don't think his speedo was off too bad.

JB

Guest Anonymous

for all our great trips to the strip or on a back road pushin our z's as hard as they can go. i took an acura nsx around 180 and it was so smooth and quiet aside from passing cars extremely fast and the speedo i wouldn't have thought i was going that fast. but it was a rush. point being my beautiful z gives me that rush at 100 to 120 between the vibrations or the over joy that the little beast is holding together. nothing can compare to the thrill my z's give at 50 or 150.

71 240 coilovers airdam,, spoiler etc..

thats my 6th z.. 120 to 130mph is about the max all mine had stock.. out of the 3 v8 z's 150 was no prob. but no matter what you have on yopur z pushing past 130 with or without mods you better clear the airspace with your local airport..

• 2 weeks later...