HybridZ

alternate struts....

quite a while ago someone posted a bunch of links and part numbers for shorter struts that will bolt up to a 280z that was lowered but not for the coil overs.... basically i believe it was VW or Porsche struts that fit and im hoping someone on here either remembers that link, posting or maybe even who it was that posted it. i would be really grateful.

i did run a search but couldnt come up with anything specific other than struts for coilover kits. My z has been lowered around 3-4inches all the way around with a set of old Eibach progressives and really low profile tires and im bottoming my struts out bad..

any help would be great

Paul

I read through that and some GREAT info in there but mostly for racers who do track time and street... my car is strictly for street... so im a little unsure if the Konis are going to be ok.. and im not sure what revalveing means anyways.. i woudl just like a shrter strut so i quit bottoming the strut out.. it has maybe 2 inches and then bam.. lowering springs and regular struts from Outozone are just not working together correctly i guess.

if your looking for the tokico adjustables, they are PN#BZ3099 for the front, and PN#BZ3015 for the rear. If your looking for the non adjustables just substitue a "HZ" in place of the "BZ". The 3015 actaully the front strut for our cars, used in the rear . I thinkt he 3099 if the front of an 2nd gen toyota of an MR2, but don't hold me to that one, I'm just going by memory.

Do you mean shorter shock/damper inserts/cartridges?

Yeah.. shorter cartridges... mine are so compressed once its on the ground they have no suspsension travel at all.. they are stock replacement struts and i have really shortened springs so they are not working well together unless the road is really smooth. handles like a go cart though but not suitable for daily driving which is what i need.. some one mentioned sectioning but will that help with standaard strut cartridges??

thnx for any and all help.. gimme a cam to install any time.. this suspension stuff is killing me

• 1 month later...

aww come on guys.. i figured i would get a bit of static at least with the horible picture =). The one problem i seem to running into is most of this information is for racers which is the title of the thread i was pointed to." great info though" and im running a 280z not 240 which most people seem to be racing. i finally think i have a grasp of what sectioning is and for me that seems a bit drastic so once again..

my question is for a 2 inch lowered z with no modified suspension other than eiback springs would the bilstiens for the 88-92 rabbit work in the 280 and if so what gland nut would i need since the sizes are diff from the 240 to 280? im really getting of tired of going through struts every year and would like something thats not going to crap out on me because i like to hit the curves on the way to work, school or weekend blast. Im also sorry if it seems like im repeating myself but im getting repeated answers that dont seem to apply to me. but then again they might and im just missing it. My car will not see track time nor autoxing unless i go to a local event to just play. This is a street driven car that i put about 7k miles on it a year.

BTW am i the only member who isnt an engineer of some sort =)

yeah but... the problem very likely (I'm no engineer either) is that the springs are just to short. You said they lower the car 3-4". You've lost most the suspension travel and no strut insert will change that. So... section the struts to regain back some travel or swap the springs.

Moms'z yeah that was with the super low profile tires.. i went back to a 225/60 and brought it back up almost an inch and quarter =) so its not as bad but that was overall ride height not my suspension problem..... but after reading the FAQ sheet on sectioning... i guess this is what im going to have to do..i really like the ride height and the way it sits..but im not a welder so i guess a fab shop can do this. guess ill buy the lifetime warrenty strusts from autozone and just not worry about it anymore.

Anyone from Tulse have a shop they trust for suspension work ??

thanks

Best thing for you to do is to section your struts if you like the ride height you have now. This will give you a couple inches of suspension travel back and you won't be beating the valving out of your new struts like you are with your current ones. I would look at the Tokico HZ series for a daily driver.

Best thing for you to do is to section your struts if you like the ride height you have now. This will give you a couple inches of suspension travel back and you won't be beating the valving out of your new struts like you are with your current ones. I would look at the Tokico HZ series for a daily driver.

Those Tokicos a drop in or do i have to revalve them like some of the earlier ones mentioned??

and yes,looks like sectioning is the route im going to have to take =)

You don't need shorter struts. You need to section your struts. In other words cut 2 inches out of your strut tubes and weld them back together. Once you do that, you can get the correct length struts inserts for the shortened tubes. If all you do is buy shorter struts, then you will need to put spacers in the tubes to get the struts to fit. At that point you have accomplished nothing. You will have no more travel than with the correct length strut for the stock tubes.

Once you have shortened the tubes, you will need coilovers and stiffer springs. The only real difference between a race set up and a street set up is the spring rate (good enough for this discussion). Once you know the spring rate you want (say 200 front and 225 rear), then you can get struts that match that spring rate. A lot of guys have good results with the Illumina struts in their street cars.

Once you do all that, then your lowered car will be less prone to bottoming out.

do you really think i would need coil overs?? wouldnt that negate the strut sectioning and strut inserts?? i thought that coilovers would pretty much elimate the current set up all together? i was looking at MM coilovers in the 225f/250r but thats a bit more money than i want to spend just now.. thats why i was trying for the lowered springs adn correct strut insert so i stop crushing the inserts and bottoming them out. so did i miss something in the coilover section?

thnx for the replies regardless of my confused state lol