HybridZ

Stainless Turbo Manifold

zguy36

Now that I am making decent progress on my stainless T4 flange turbo manifold, I thought I would post some picks for all to see. I am using shedule 10 stainless weld ells, which are a bi-otch to work with! All flanges are 1/2" and the turbo flange is going to have an actuated flap for a twin scroll turbo (I forgot who else on here had this). 100_0935.JPG

With a 60-1 turbo, I should still have at least 4" to the inner fender. My car is actually in storage for the winter now, so I have to hope that all my measurements were taken well! I drew the manifold in a 3D modeling program prior to building just to check fitment issues. I didn't take into account putting in the bolts though.... so now I have to go with studs. not a big deal really.

-jeremy-

How did you make the 1/2" plates that mate to the head? Can you also mention your source for the ells? I'm interested in just this sort of project since I recently acquired a TIG. Nice work so far BTW, please keep us posted.

Thanks

I ordered the ells from www.mcmaster.com They were about five bucks each.... and I ordered 3" of the straight. It is all 1 1/2" pipe, which is actually bigger than that, but who knows why they call it that. I had the manifold to head flanges cut on a water jet, and the turbo to manifold flange I cut on a mill.

-jeremy-

That really does look great, not to mention a hell of a lot better then that erm "OTHER" place that was making the manifolds a while back

Yeah, I wonder if JeffP has seen this yet? Another relocation of the bits!

LOL

If it warps at all, put an expansion bellows in the runner to #1 and #6. The Sch10 Weld Els will work on four cylinders all day long.

After it's all up and welded, some scotchbrite work will make that baby smoooooth, and then some rouge work and it will look like a seamless mirror.

People will lust for it, and you can just laugh!

Keep us posted on the progress, looks good thusfar.

HAH Im lusting for it now and it isnt even finished!! I cant wait till its done.

Go figure though it had to be made properly by a Z nut to be right. Shame of it all a Company with all its money and big name couldnt out do the ingenuity(sp?) of a Hybridz owner.

Tsk Tsk

Well, after another fifteen hours in the shop.... I should be close to finishing it this week, and for sure by the end of next week.

100_0945.JPG

You can see how badly runners #1 and #6 warped. This all happened when I welded the collector together. I had to cut them loose and weld them back in at the correct angles. All that is left is to weld the rest of the flanges on and then figure out some way to surface them. Oh, at the finish cleaning out the inside with a die grinder, oh boy!100_0953.JPG

Guest asad137
I use sch 40 when making exhaust manifolds for that reason... it's a little less likely to warp due to heat. What amperage do you run your machine? I never run higher than 65 with sch 40.

Are you doing multi-pass welds? 65 amps seems, to me, a bit low to get a full penetration weld on, say 1-1/2" sch. 40 (0.145" wall).

Asad

I don't know what amperage I was running on the welder. I am not an experienced welder and just turned up the heat enough to get it to give good penetration in the welds. The warping was due to the fact that not all of the pipes fit exactly tight with each other and I had to fill gaps, very bad for warping.

I ordered the ells from www.mcmaster.com They were about five bucks each.... and I ordered 3" of the straight. It is all 1 1/2" pipe' date=' which is actually bigger than that, but who knows why they call it that. I had the manifold to head flanges cut on a water jet, and the turbo to manifold flange I cut on a mill.

-jeremy-[/quote']

Pipe is measured on the ID, so 1 1/2" pipe is 1 1/2" ID. The OD is ID + 2* Wall Thickness. Tubing on the other hand is measured on the OD. ID would be OD - 2* Wall Thickness.

Joshua

• 2 weeks later...

I paid 85 for the flanges, but the guy who made them for me was was screwed pretty badly by the deal. He thought he could do it on his plasma cutter, but he ended up having to pay someone else to water jet them and he still charged me the same price. I would guess that he could produce them 100-120 range and still make a profit though. If people are interested, I could give him a call and double check for a price.