HybridZ

Interesting L6 Manifold on eBay....

slownrusty

That is an Eggers and Vickers Mechanical Fuel Injection Manifold.

It will not fit under the hood of a Z with those stacks on it. 1 Fast Z bought the last two he offered, and one of those was a straight model that WILL fit under the hood.

They were not in cars, the guy ran them in Hydroplane Boats.

Bit high-rpm usage for a streeter...

I think you could buy the applicable bits from Kinsler Fue Injection in Troy MI, but knowing what I have seen from Hillborn Injection systems in use at the salt flats and at El Mirage, I'd skip the Mechanical Setup! Pills, bypass springs, blah blah blah.... Not for me! If it's FI, it's E F I for my tastes!

• Administrators

Ok guys, Yes “1fastZ” did buy at least one of the curved designs, not sure if it was him or not that won the second today, (I took the bid up to $403, it sold for $466 and change). In talking with Bryan via E-mail, it seems his plans were the same as mine in regards to using that intake on a Z car, i.e. weld on injector bungs for EFI use and fab an air box so that it will fit under the hood of a car.

Those intakes were designed for Race boats running the Datsun L-6… What the heck are race boats doing running Datsun L-6’s?!?!?! I had no idea, but apparently it is fairly common in that class…, (see picture below..)

In fact, the guy selling those odd ball FI intakes was also selling a straight version of that curved intake, which I did happen to get my hands on, (luckily). It arrived just a couple days ago. I couldn’t resist so I mocked it on the race car. Looks pretty tough.

This season we will run the OE style intake that is sitting on the fender in these pics, then next season I should have the injector bungs on it and we hope to be running that IR intake for next season with Mega Squirt.

BoatCustom.jpg

IR_2Medium.jpg

IR.jpg

DSC_7744Medium.jpg

DSC_7740Medium.jpg

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Seems like an extremely long narrow runner setup like that would be great for Torque prodcution but not so great for Max HP. Also those non radisued air horn tips are absolutely the worst for airflow. David Vizard saw a HP loss on the dyno in his carb book using a similar air horn design.

With a fully radiused air horn he saw a 5% increase in power.

Later,Norm

• Administrators
']Seems like an extremely long narrow runner setup like that would be great for Torque prodcution but not so great for Max HP. Also those non radisued air horn tips are absolutely the worst for airflow. David Vizard saw a HP loss on the dyno in his carb book using a similar air horn design.

With a fully radiused air horn he saw a 5% increase in power.

Later' date='Norm[/quote']

Norm,

Yeah, I agree, the horns really need more radius for sure. FWIW, a lot of the work we do here at Rusch Motorsports has been gleaned from Mr Vizard, in particular our valve unshrouding techniques.

I just went out and measured the runners. Exactly 12” long. Diameter at the cylinder head is 1.43” or 36mm. Diameter at the opening of the horn, (same diameter at the opening of the casting, i.e. horns are not tapered), 1.81” or 41mm.

Maybe Bryan will post the dimensions of the curved style?

'']Seems like an extremely long narrow runner setup like that would be great for Torque prodcution but not so great for Max HP.

Doesn't really look that much different than my Mikunis on a Cannon manifold with a short stack. Probably within 1" or 2" in length. I talked to Malvern and Rebello, and they both seemed to think that I had done a good thing ditching the shorter Mikuni manifold.

BTW, the racing boat has headers coming out of the starboard side...they either mount the engines backwards or that isn't a Nissan L6 powered boat, might be an RB. DAW

Those engines are mounted output shaft forward, it has a driveshaft into a gearing system where it makes a 180 then another driveshaft takes it to the prop.

It is a L24 in that boat, Ive speaken with the guy on the phone, and they mount the motors backwards in hydroplanes. My intake has 45MM butterflys and tapers down to 37mm only in the last 2" of the intake, therefore, can be opened up to whatever your head opening is pretty easily, all the way up to 45mm. No that wasnt me that got the other manifold. Dont know who it is. BTW that straight one you have brapp, is not the same exact style with just a straight design. Yours is neat though. Yea, I will run Mechanical on one setup and run electrical on the other, but I wont hack the manifolds, I will make speacial threaded inserts that thread right into the stock mechanical holes, that way nothing is hacked and welded.

• Administrators

Bryan,

I wasn’t sure if that was you or not, bummer it wasn’t. I would’ve liked to see what you’d do with another one as well. Your plans to utilize the intake you already have without molesting it sounds great. I’m not that patient so mine will get welded on.

FWIW, the butterflies in my intake are only 41mm.

I got 'em.

Conversion with screw-in injector bungs for EFI is the plan.

I begged off the auction when Bryan called me last time "Are you going to bid on them?" No use driving up the price.

You bought the straight one I was waiting for Braap! And you drove up the price. Snipe, man, SNIPE! Save the money for other things! LOL

This will free up some HKS Throttle bodies I have (that cost quite a bit more!) for another project.

Originally John (the guy who is selling the goodies) told me they were 1 7/16" butterflies, so I was not that interested, but after the talk with Bryan the night before the auction ended and finding out the throttle plates were 45/46mm and the manifold end was 36/37mm, I figured they would flow equivalently to the HKS units, so I could use them for the race car instead.

Intimidation factor of Hilborn Style Stacks out the hood at an angle appeals to me, but will probably be a bit much...

So on to more projects. My wife will have my butt when she finds out how much this stuff cost... Oh well.

• Administrators

I’ve tired to picture one those angled intakes sticking out of the hood, and yeah, it would look WAY tough, for sure. My problem in trying that with my cars 10” wide front slicks is it slings the parking lot gravel up on the hood when driving in and out of the pits.

I’ve tired to picture one those angled intakes sticking out of the hood, and yeah, it would look WAY tough, for sure. My problem in trying that with my cars 10†wide front slicks is it slings the parking lot gravel up on the hood when driving in and out of the pits.

Thats what screens are for, HEHE. Yea, I knew who got them but I didt wanna reveal who, I figure better let tony do so.