HybridZ

Anyone considered dropping an SRT-4 engine in a Z? Mates up with a Jeep RWD trans!

Guest bastaad525

Hmmm what kind of tires was he running? And why do you say 19psi? Stage 3 runs more than 20psi by default. Anyways' date=' a stage 3 with a few supporting mods like the mopar catback exhaust (most go with a full 3 inch turbo back which makes significantly more power) and other basic stuff usually put 300-330 hp to the wheels. In a 2800-2900 lb car. Put high octane in the tank and hit the high octane mode switch and it's suddenly mid-high 300's. The big limiting factor is that it's FWD and gets shitty traction, but throw DR's or slicks on and they will run mid or possibly low 12's all day long. Hell there are guys running low 12's on the STOCK turbo with a gaggle of supporting mods.

In the meantime, as far as you vs. the stage 3 from a roll, how fast was the roll? They can smoke the tires clear thru 2nd gear. Was he getting tire spin or was he babying it? Also, you're probably making more power than he was with that stroker and big turbo, and have a weight advantage as well (though granted, not nearly as much as if you were in a 240).

Anyways, it's not a fair comparison any way you look at it, wether we're talking about swapping in a brand new motor vs. just pulling a XXXXX mileage L28ET and sticking it in bone stock, there is much more potential in the SRT block. Unless YOU know someone making high 400 whp on a 100% stock long block L28et? And in your case, we're talking about a far from stock L28, bored and stroked with big turbo and the works... I am betting you've got far more money tied up in your setup than a basic SRT motor swap would cost and possibly even more than if you did the motor swap and added a stage 3 to it.

I'll give you this, if you offered me your setup or an SRT motored Z setup for exactly the same cost, yeah probably even I would go for the L28, but that's just my preference, and not what this thread was meant to be about.

Again, it's not a fair comparison, first off, it would be helpful to actually know the price of both. Barring the actual cost of the drivetrain (granted, picking up a used sr20det drivetrain is probably going to cost less than buying a brand new srt motor and jeep transmission), I imagine the actual cost of the swap, meaning custom mounts, custom wiring, would probably be the same, since either swap will require the same amount and type of custom work. Yeah Silvia front clips can be had for cheap but now you are talking a used motor with who knows what mileage that could last you 10 years or could last you 10 minutes. Even if you found a used SRT to pull the motor from, most SRT-4's haven't even passed 45,000 miles. But compare used to used and now the SRT probably compares favorably or even cheaper since they are domestic?

I'm thinking of this swap for the guy who would go out and buy a new crate motor or something like that or who doesnt' want to deal with used unknown factors. Or for the guy who wants to just do something completely different, but to get some good performance and reliability w/o spending a fortune. Obviously a basic L28ET swap would be cheaper, hell even a decent SBC swap would be cheaper.

Sure we can go on about how this swap would be cheaper or that swap would make more power... But then we would all end up at some final conclusion that only X swap is even worth doing because it offers the most bang for the least buck and/or least effort, and all others must therefor be a waste of money or time. Come on now! This site is about diversity, we've seen everything from rotary swaps to Jag V12 swaps and everything in between... You think they were all done only to get peak performance or done because they were cheap or easy to do? That some of you would sit and nit and pick a very legitimate idea to get a lot of performance reliably and have one hell of an interesting (and so far, unique or at least very rare)swap besides, is really a shame to see. This isn't the HybridZ I grew up with :icon56:

And Oleh, you are on the wrong forum entirely....[/quote']

ill give you a piece of my mind here, the SRT block after 375+whp needs to be build. Look at mod list of the quickest ET SRT's. They're all running heads/built blocks, etc. I find that hardly cost effective. I dont find this block to be anything special. I highest hp block i've seen, i think it was somewhere in the 5xxhp blew up. To make it reliable = cost, and i think its cheaper to build a KA/SR which will be a hell of more reliable, is already RWD, and will produce a higher hp/tq number. Although i think its a waste of a Z putting in a 4 cylinder engine. Care to explaine why you feel that im on the wrong forum ? Now if someone droped a EJ25/EJ22, that would be interesting. As far as strong I4's go, the 4G63 has a hella of alot more potential. Im not a Z purist, so please dont assume; there is a reason why im dropping in a VK56 into my z. you are a og member, and i dont want to get into this with you. Im just stating my opinion.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I agree with Oleh's major points... just not to the point of saying what he did about a 4 banger not belonging there. I have swung back and forth over what I want in my 240... and I finally decided to try the I4 to get the feel I want in the Z. I have driven Turbo swaps and loved them. I have driven V8 swaps, and have owned two as well. Lots of fun, but it seemed to me that short of going LSx and hugging the firewall, I wasnt going to like the feel as well as I might like a powerful I4 that is basically in a mid-engine posistion. Not only does this install have potential to get the feel and performance I want, it leaves a little extra room to play with the rest of the setup, particularly from the X-member forward, where I would like to experiment with Radiator, IC, and Intake positioning. THe SRT comes close in potential, but I am concerned about jumping thru hoops and not ending up satisfied with my tranny, and I think that I can over-build the 3RZ and end up with the power I want, in an incredibly durable and reliable block. I think the SRT I4 might be on the edge of its stock limits, where-as the 3RZ would still be close to stock block, with plenty of untapped potential still available, should I get bit by the bug. It also appeals to my Z humor that I could easily bore and or stroke the 3RZ to 2.8L.... ending up with close to 3X the 240Z's original HP, and still have a relatively comfortable and streetable car. (assuming the use of a variable boost controller = )

...I have driven V8 swaps, and have owned two as well. Lots of fun, but it seemed to me that short of going LSx and hugging the firewall, I wasnt going to like the feel as well as I might like a powerful I4 that is basically in a mid-engine posistion...
I don't understand a 4 banger turning a Z into a mid-engine car. I think my LT1 V8 sits as far back as a 4 banger would. Is my car mid-engine too?

:shock:

Its a technicality.... if an engine ends up entirely behind the front crossmember, it is often referred to as "midengine". Between the engine, tranny, and my butt.... a majority of the non-chassis weight will be between the wheels. Its possible your LT1 sits that far back as well, I suppose... so ya, if so you could say that too. I just like a lot of the options the 3RZ gives me, including the room in front of the engine, as well as having only the intake over the steering column. I think having the intake and exhaust on opposite sides will make for easier and cleaner plumbing, and will allow me to do some nice things with the appearance, as well as with the performance.

it could be a great swap, but im sure that the tranny wouldnt hold dear to any kind of power that 2.4lt will put out.

i dont mind 4cyl Z's, if a 4cyl is a disgrace then so is a V8 Z... theres nothing different at all.

this is hybridz, we need to respect everybodys ideas about there Z's.

on that note.. Oleh... good luck changing a timing belt on your engine :D

mike

I didn't know until after a couple weeks that I had become part of the most hated car group on the planet.

I bet vanners didn't get this much flak back in the day' date=' well maybe they did.

:)[/quote']

ppl just hate DSM's.. because you can make them super fast for super cheap, and plus there hard to beat on the street... can never tell if a dsm is just lightly modded or full tilt race car.

god i love dsm's!!!

mike

Bastaad . . .

Stage 3 produces anywhere from 310-355 depending on octane.

I am currently running a bone stock 150k+ junkyard NA bottom end(N42) with some bad blowby(rings/lands). the 3.0 is on a stand getting rebuilt. I was on 15psi.

He said he was 19psi, maybe more. I slaughtered him from a dig, which he will not stop whining about. 5 cars from a 25mph roll. Roll races are for wusses. Let just compare dyno charts and save the gas.

I respect the srt4, heck AMS holds the record at 590hp with only an AFC i believe. But if they are ALWAYS gonna complain about their weak platform then screw it. . .

I think the SRT's are pretty sweet cars with a lot of potential. It would be a lot sweeter if it was RWD though. I might have actually thought about buying one since Im a Dodge technican(aka parts are cheap!). I would consider the swap for only this reason. I would probably do the 5.7L HEMI swap before I did the SRT-4 swap though(Im a V8 guy!).

I am going to be building up a SRT-4 for a guy who doesnt know how to work on his own car. He doesnt know the first thing about wrenching so he's going to pay me to do it for him! I like modding cars when I dont have to pay for the parts to do it! LOL I dont konw what kind of HP & TQ numbers hes shooting for but he wants more than the Stage 3 can offer! I cant wait to see what 350WHP in a Neon is like!

Guy

Guest bastaad525
ill give you a piece of my mind here, the SRT block after 375+whp needs to be build. Look at mod list of the quickest ET SRT's. They're all running heads/built blocks, etc. I find that hardly cost effective. I dont find this block to be anything special. I highest hp block i've seen, i think it was somewhere in the 5xxhp blew up. To make it reliable = cost, and i think its cheaper to build a KA/SR which will be a hell of more reliable, is already RWD, and will produce a higher hp/tq number. Although i think its a waste of a Z putting in a 4 cylinder engine. Care to explaine why you feel that im on the wrong forum ? Now if someone droped a EJ25/EJ22, that would be interesting. As far as strong I4's go, the 4G63 has a hella of alot more potential. Im not a Z purist, so please dont assume; there is a reason why im dropping in a VK56 into my z. you are a og member, and i dont want to get into this with you. Im just stating my opinion.

Oleh - I dont' care if you call it purist or not (I never did), the attitude that putting ANY engine in a Z is 'putting the Z to waste' goes against the whole point of HybridZ. Like I said, it may not be the BEST option... seriously, who can say what the BEST option is as far as motors to swap into the 240? And if there were a 'best' option, wouldn't that just negate the whole point of ever doing any other swap?? Of course not. Come on dude... there's lots of pros and cons for lots of possible motors. I never assumed or said anything about you being a purist, I simply said that the attitude that ANY engine is not right for a Z doesn't belong on this forum.

Secondly, you need to come hang out on SRTforums.com, because that line about needing to have the block built up to be able to make over 375+ whp on the SRT block is utter BS (and 80LT1 can probably confirm this for me). If you put on a Mopar Stage 3 and run it in high octane mode you can be close to that amount of power (about 350 whp) with the only other mod being the mopar catback exhaust. There are several people on srtforums who are pushing over 400 whp without having EVER done any work to the block or head, other than possibly cams, but even that is rare, the most common upgrade for over 400hp is an aftermarket turbo. The STOCK BLOCK has been proven to be good up to about 500hp. Just because you saw one block blow or some fast SRT's that DID have block or head work, doesn't suddenly mean the block can't handle 500hp. You should do research before spreading misinformation like it's fact.

Seriously though guys you need to stop coming in with "oh but this motor is better or I'd rather do that motor"... this thread isn't titled "hey who knows what motors are better than an SRT-4 motor for swapping in a Z!". Seriously, I could look at 500 swaps on this forum and say the exact same thing "hmmm why'd he bother with that motor when we all know this other motor is so much better!". HybridZ is all about possibilities. The SRT is a great motor, period. It makes great power and so far has proven to be very stout and reliable. Would it be the cheapest swap? No. Would it make more power than any other swap? No. Would it be the easiest swap to do? No. Has that ever stopped anyone from doing all the tons of other various types of motor swaps that people have done? Hell no.

Some of you guys need to try being a little more open minded....

ppl just hate DSM's.. because you can make them super fast for super cheap' date=' and plus there hard to beat on the street... can never tell if a dsm is just lightly modded or full tilt race car.

god i love dsm's!!!

mike[/quote']

If you dont hate them then you dont know what Crankwalk is.....:flamedevi

Bastaad. I agree with most of what your saying. An open mind is a must for this forum. Although i think the original spirit of the site was to improve upon what the z has to offer in stock form. I would consider a l28et pretty close to stock see how little work is involved. And Many V8's have more potential than the L, The RB, 2jz, 7m, etc. etc. etc. Those are all motors that obviously have way more potential than the L28et. I'm just not so sure that the SRT motor has proved its in the same class.

My point simply. The L can make 400hp no problem with no major internal mods. there are only a handful of SRT's making more than 450hp or so. It would be a cool and unique swap no doubt. I've just whooped on way too many srt's to consider that a motor i have to have in my Z. Supras on the other hand . . .