HybridZ

Inline vs V Configurations

Kinked_Chrome

Sorry if this is a repost, but i couldn't find anything about in the search. I was having a discussion today with one of my buddies about which engine configuration would make more torque, all things equal, and only considering the configuration. My arguement was that the inline would. Based on that they can have a longer stroke, because they are not restricted by having an opposite side. He tried to tell me that the angle of the pistons in relation to each had more to do with it. What do you guys think?

i think the v has potential for more power, given a simpler design. For example, the crankshaft on a v6 will be much shorter than one on an I6. Also, since rods can share crank journals, then there are less metal parts to cast into the cam (or cut or forge) and you get a lighter crank...

of course you run into the problem of having to run two cams just to get single ohc.

The V configuration of the block helps to strengthen the whole thing.

Inline motors will make more torque if everything was the same. In a V motor the force of the combustion forces the torque to be put out kind of sideways. But in an inline setup its all concentrated on going up and down, not up and down, and side to side. Less torque is used to turn the assembly, so more torque is sent out to the wheels.

I think it has more to do with the application then anything to do with physics. If you are building a tow vehicle, you want low end torque. That means long intake runners, no overlap cams, long stroke, etc. And often times those type of cars, which aren't worried about engine height and length, get an inline 6.

If you build a performance car, you want more cylinders lower to the ground and more high end HP.

I hesitate to reply to this thread because it is all speculation. But I imagine that if *ALL* things are held equal, there would be little to no influence from the configuration. I imagine that the concepts that certain configurations are more tourqey, make more HP, etc. come form the fact that certain engine configurations lend themselves to having different manifold / bore/stroke ratios, etc. (The real drivers of engine output) For example; it is hard to put real long and straight intake runners on V engine. These are easy to do on a straight six. They also help make low end torque. If I want a low end torque application, I might tend to choose a straight six - easier to accomplish than with a V. Is it the straight six configuration that makes the low end torque?

Again, *ALL* things being equal and changing just the piston locations should have negligible effect on the engines output.

This is areally complicated subject, but my nuthsell understanding is this: I6 is a naturally balanced intuitive design. V6 is not. Remeber the old odd-fire Buick V6? When they switched to even fire they had to offset grind some of the journals. The rods don't share a common crank pin! The really fast Buicks have to switch back to odd fire for crank durability. Some V6's run balance shafts in order to smooth things out. This adds a lot of complication, not simplifies. Packaging is probably the primary reason for switch to V6, especially the narrow crank angles (60 degree vs. 90). But torque output is a function of design and application. Using the jeep as an example, it is a large displacement long stroke motor designed for torque with small ports and an RPM range to match. A 3.5 liter BMW six is not, and the power curve shows it.