HybridZ

Steering union pics

While I am at it replacing the brake booster...

I carved up this piece out of brass. Though it does have weight compared to alum I can't ever see this design failing with out warning. What I like best about this design as it does not rely on the fasteners to steer the car.

The only thing I often wondered about rack to firewall dimensional changes and or flex. It appears the early Z has an upper u-joint sliding engagement into the collum that would allow for such slight movement. Correct?

The later models I am not so sure about. My 78 280z parts car was different in this particular area with the u-joint to steering wheel length fixed. Maybe it does not matter. If someone could chime in on this that would be great.

Brian

Picture_0062.jpg

Picture_0101.jpg

The original design of that part helps absorb vibrations from the steering. The solid unit you made will transmit a lot of vibration to the steering wheel. If you don't like the condition of the original get a replacement, you'll be a lot happier.

Nice job making it, but use the original design.

- Joe

nice design...It would be great in aluminum...

There are a lot of us that feel all giddy if we can find a way to loose a pound off the front of the car...

It is not that high...and it is not very far forward...soo no big deal... It just goes against the grain of thought in a "performance" application...

I would add that loosing all flexibility in SOME areas is not a good idea...

Like the solid differential mounts... I can post pictures of a differential crossmember riddled with cracks and falling apart from stress....

I would add that loosing all flexibility in SOME areas is not a good idea...

Like the solid differential mounts... I can post pictures of a differential crossmember riddled with cracks and falling apart from stress....

Don't want to jack this thread but I'd love to see those pics. I've been a firm opponent to the solid front diff mount for a long time. Heard stories of the diff mount cracking and tearing, never seen pictures. Make another post in the drivetrain forum...

As to the steering coupler, I have the delrin one and vibration isn't a problem at all. This does look to be an improvement over the usual setup. Kinda like Ross's CV adapter and how it recesses the companion flange into the adapter.

Getting rid of the rubber steering coupler was one of the best mods I did to my car. Vibration is really not an issue. Did it 18 years ago and no cracks or steering failures to date. Nissan used waaayyyy too much rubber in the front end.

I have seen on this site many ways to get rid of the coupler. Probably the best was just bolting (or welding) the two halves directly to each other with nothing inbetween. One Canadian member actually drilled out a hockey puck and used that.