HybridZ

R180 Axle Problems, Please help me out!

240Z_Master

Here is my setup as follows.

(All of this on a 10/70 240Z)

R180 4.11 from 200SX

1st Generation Maxima Companion Flanges

I took a pair of short R200 centershafts (both driver side axles), and exchanged the centershafts into the R180 axles.

The axles after getting them rebuilt are still a little long. Am I using the right companion flange? This is giving me a headache!

PLEEASE HELP ME OUT.

I may not understand your situation, but here goes. The short axle is the one having a problem with length (driver's side?). So replacing it with another short axle (of the same length) will not solve the problem. The longer one will benefit from this though.

I don't know what the first gen Maxima companion flanges look like.

A question I like to have verified is: Is the R180 narrower than the R200, and if so, I would think you'd have plenty of room for the R200 axle swap. So are the R180 axles longer than the R200 axles? Is the companion flange similar or identical to the 280ZXT companion flange?

I may not understand your situation' date=' but here goes. The short axle is the one having a problem with length (driver's side?). So replacing it with another short axle (of the same length) will not solve the problem. The longer one will benefit from this though.

I don't know what the first gen Maxima companion flanges look like.

A question I like to have verified is: Is the R180 narrower than the R200, and if so, I would think you'd have plenty of room for the R200 axle swap. So are the R180 axles longer than the R200 axles? Is the companion flange similar or identical to the 280ZXT companion flange?[/quote']

Okay, the R180 axles are in fact longer (via centershafts). Below is a picture of the companion flange mounted on the car.

tires2.jpg

I am going to unbolt the lower control arm from the inside, and swing it out like ZCarNut suggested I do, maybe that might help me fit this sucker up.

I noticed in the picture that your R180 differential is still mounted in the forward position. Unless this is something you want to keep for the sake of originality, you should get a moustache bar from a late 1971, 1972, or 1973 240Z to position your R180 rearward. This was a fix Nissan did mid-1970 to correct noise issues and it also puts the halfshafts at a better angle.

EDIT: You'll also need the curved rear transverse link brace from the same donor car.

Gripping the axle and pushing/pulling from end to end will test available end float. It should move against the buffer springs at each end. How much? I'm guessing ~20mm or more.

From the pic though it looks like there is plenty of endfloat.

Gripping the axle and pushing/pulling from end to end will test available end float. It should move against the buffer springs at each end. How much? I'm guessing ~20mm or more.

From the pic though it looks like there is plenty of endfloat.

I'll check on this tommorow, but hpoefully it'll be alright once I get the car running and do some shakedowns.

I noticed in the picture that your R180 differential is still mounted in the forward position. Unless this is something you want to keep for the sake of originality' date=' you should get a moustache bar from a late 1971, 1972, or 1973 240Z to position your R180 rearward. This was a fix Nissan did mid-1970 to correct noise issues and it also puts the halfshafts at a better angle.

EDIT: You'll also need the curved rear transverse link brace from the same donor car.[/quote']

Hmm, maybe the forward position would allow more clearance between the diff and the flange.

I know this may seem silly, but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you taken care of any bearing seal mismatch between the two companion flanges. I ask because the Maxima flange is exactly like the 280ZXT flange, and the ZXT flange requires a different bearing seal.

I ask because the Maxima flange is exactly like the 280ZXT flange, and the ZXT flange requires a different bearing seal.
I was going to ask the some what the same question. When I had the 280zxt cv's in my car, the companion flange fit with the stock rear seal. But I'm a little confused, What kind of CV/half shaft do you have? They look to be from a 280zxt? Or are they from a Maxima?

I was going to ask the some what the same question. When I had the 280zxt cv's in my car, the companion flange fit with the stock rear seal. But I'm a little confused, What kind of CV/half shaft do you have? They look to be from a 280zxt? Or are they from a Maxima?

Okay, I am using maxima axles, with 280ZXT Left side centershafts.

I know this may seem silly, but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you taken care of any bearing seal mismatch between the two companion flanges. I ask because the Maxima flange is exactly like the 280ZXT flange, and the ZXT flange requires a different bearing seal.

From what I remember, I used the 240Z wheel bearing seal. I don't remember 100% to be honest with you because it's been about 5 months since I've actually installed the flanges.

Does that answer the question? I'm kind of a noob on this.

EDIT: This is the best picture I can find in my archives...(Does this help?)

I will say this however, that I pushed the bearing seal all the way in, and torqued down the centernut for the companion flange, and that everything rotates freely and seems to be in working order. Only a road test and drive will confirm how well my workmanship is.

Seal.jpg

I noticed in the picture that your R180 differential is still mounted in the forward position. Unless this is something you want to keep for the sake of originality' date=' you should get a moustache bar from a late 1971, 1972, or 1973 240Z to position your R180 rearward. This was a fix Nissan did mid-1970 to correct noise issues and it also puts the halfshafts at a better angle.

EDIT: You'll also need the curved rear transverse link brace from the same donor car.[/quote']

Now that I think about this again, I already have the rear curved transverse link brace.

Rear.jpg

Okay, I am using maxima axles, with 280ZXT Left side centershafts.
. I never heard of using maxima cv's. Good goin 240z master. I'll have to keep that in my memory banks. Come to think of it. The picture in the 4th post seems odd. Isn't the mustache bar suppose to be in front (closer to the rear of the car)of the rear support uprights? Maybe someone else could confirm this? Maybe the mustache bar is flipped? But how could you install the front diff mount? Man I'm confused!!!!!!

. I never heard of using maxima cv's. Good goin 240z master. I'll have to keep that in my memory banks. Come to think of it. The picture in the 4th post seems odd. Isn't the mustache bar suppose to be in front (closer to the rear of the car)of the rear support uprights? Maybe someone else could confirm this? Maybe the mustache bar is flipped? But how could you install the front diff mount? Man I'm confused!!!!!!

I've got a series 1 240Z, those produced in 1970ish. I believe that is why my mustache bar looks "flipped". Keep in mind that this is a R180 and not a R200 just incase you don't remember.

Mustache.jpg