HybridZ

Lighten up!

John Scott

I feel a few of the comments to other members have been harsh with regard to their ability to use the English language. Is this is English comp 101, or a forum of car enthusiasts? Not everyone here is going to have a perfect mastering of the English language, let alone the spelling. If the post is truly unintelligible or with unfamiliar slang and short cuts, then I'd agree with most of the suggestions to be more clear. Is English your second language? You’re not from the USA? I admire anyone willing to post even though they are unfamiliar with English. "Where are you at", "He left with her and I ", "I seen it", The car ran poor" are all incorrect. Where do you draw the line? Personally, spelling was never one of my strong points and I’m constantly being corrected, grammatically, by University English professors within my family. It gets real old.. If we get the gist of the topic and the writing doesn't undermine the value of the post, then put away the red pen and lighten up. ... John

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there is a big difference between typing errors, and spelling/grammatical errors. Many mistakes that are made are unnecessary, and some of them really, really bug me....pet peeves, if you will. Things like the difference between (and correct usage of):

We're : were : where

There: their : they're

and others.

While I agree with you to a certain degree, I think that, if one is at least partially educated, then appropriate diction should at least be attempted.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

The problem lately is kids using "text type". Like using the letter "r" for the word "are" or the letter "u" for the word "you". This combined with run on sentences gets very frustrating to read. Typing a post here should be no different than writing a paper to be handed in for school... :mrgreen:

The problem lately is kids using "text type". Like using the letter "r" for the word "are" or the letter "u" for the word "you". This combined with run on sentences gets very frustrating to read. Typing a post here should be no different than writing a paper to be handed in for school... :mrgreen:

Amen!!

I'm kinda' anal with communication, at least in official type correspondence, but internet boards are not that type of venue. BUT with that said, if you want to get some sort of intelligent and intelligible response, you should at least attempt to make your post intelligent and intelligible as well. Personally, I just skip over that kinda' stuff rather than respond at all. I'd like to think the poster was missing out on what is good, solid, reliable output from me. Then again, maybe the poster is coming out ahead...

Yes indeed I hate the shorcut text it drives me nuts I can suck up spelling errors and gramatical errors because I do them all the time! iam horrible! But the broken english crap annoys the hell out of me

Punctuation is always a plus, too!!:rolleyesg

I was always asking SuperDan for a spell check---we used to have one once and I used it ALL the time! It was great for checking whatever you typed out, but was especially helpful for long paragraphs. I think Pete actually uses or used MS Word and then cut & pasted everything over once everything checked out. Good idea IMO.

To all the fellows who have a difficult time with grammer: it's like everything else--you have to pay attention to it and keep trying to get better at it.

Quick rule of thumb: when using "a" in front of a noun, you only use it when the noun begins with a letter other than a vowel (...a car...a person, etc.), otherwise you use "an" in front of a word that begins with a vowel (...an apple...an Indian...an umbrella).

It's is a contraction of [it is] and not a possessive. Its is actually the possessive. So you would write "It's a Z-car..." and "Its motor is a V8."

Following simple rules make things clearer for the reader and gives you several more IQ points in the process, the same way that loud stickers give you horsepower. :mrgreen:

Davy

Punctuation is always a plus, too!!:rolleyesg

...and Never ever end a sentence with a preposition...etc. Where do you draw the line? If we were handing in papers for school, some of our most valued posts would be lost. If you can stop the demise of the English language in this site, more power to you. My grade school gramatical pet peeves are now overun by the majority of Americans, and since majority rules, I figure I might as well accept it. .Your cause is noble, I just think some are receiving a hard time for doing their best.

Typing a post here should be no different than writing a paper to be handed in for school... :mrgreen:

So you want me to do a rough draft, have three or four people proof read it and then type a final draft? I hope that little smily on the end is sarcastic! I'm not the greatest but I do my best to keep it legible in fact, I'm sure that if you tried you would find plenty of errors in what I am writing right now. but you understood it didn't you? If I'm having a problem with my car, I have far more important things on my mind than trying to please you people with my grammar. I'm sorry, but I agree with the original poster if you can read it then lighten up!

Your cause is noble, I just think some are doing there best.

Should be *their* :wink::lmao:

I refuse to accept it, or reduce myself to same, but I can certainly understand 'giving up'....

Here in SoCal so many colloquialisms exist that really bug me and make me shudder every time I hear them:

Acrosst: As in: The man walked acrosst the street: Should be: The man walked across the street.

others:

Stoled ("he stoled the money from the bank")

Drownded

and so many more....

edit....I see you corrected yourself ;)

So you want me to do a rough draft, have three or four people proof read it and then type a final draft? I hope that little smily on the end is sarcastic! I'm not the greatest but I do my best to keep it legible in fact, I'm sure that if you tried you would find plenty of errors in what I am writing right now. but you understood it didn't you? If I'm having a problem with my car, I have far more important things on my mind than trying to please you people with my grammar. I'm sorry, but I agree with the original poster if you can read it then lighten up!

Dave (and all that are engrossed in this little tête-à-tête),

I for one, do not expect everyone's grammer and spelling to be perfect, however, when it is soo bad that one needs to read it several times just get the jist of the post, that is rediculous.....A little extra effort would go a long way.

So you want me to do a rough draft, have three or four people proof read it and then type a final draft?

No, but if you reread your paragraphs, you'll find that you can catch items such as not beginning your sentences with a capital letter, such as the quote below this sentence.

I'm not the greatest but I do my best to keep it legible in fact, I'm sure that if you tried you would find plenty of errors in what I am writing right now. but you understood it didn't you?

Yes, but your posts are far better than some we have seen. Indeed, some posts are so bad it is actually difficult to understand the post! Most of them get deleted or put in the tool shed...

If I'm having a problem with my car, I have far more important things on my mind than trying to please you people with my grammar.

But you'll be polite in your posts, no? Doesn't that "please us" as well? Chewie, it's in the way a person conducts themselves and to many a fellow here, that also means grammar, etc., since it involves time spent in writing and the thoughtfulness of the post. When a person goes to a certain amount of trouble to put up a good post, it deserves an answer. Ones that look like s**t surely don't. But that's my opinion... I doubt anyone is singling you out anyway. Your posts are a heck of a lot better than quite a few we have seen over the years!!!

Davy

I not sea the bid geal abot gramar an dspeling. I meen" who cars? Reely? :mrgreen:

But seriously, I think people should atleast attempt to get their point across with somewhat correct grammar and spelling. One thing, though, I don't see any of you with your talk of spelling, grammar, and being clear of what one is saying, is the fact that many people don't seem to know what things are called. These people give things nicknames that other do not understand. One I don't like is, "dizzy" in reference to a distributor. Countless times I've seen people ask what a "dizzy" is. Why not just say distributor? Don't have time to write it out? This is sort of the same thing that others have mentioned about the usage of a single letter to mean an entire word. The one I dislike the most out of any nickname or what have you is the use of "motor." The word is engine. Say it with me now, E-N-G-I-N-E, not "motor." I sometimes wonder if these people know the difference between a motor and an engine. Here's a quick definition, a motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An engine converts chemical energy into mechanical energy. Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:

BTW, the only problem I have with writing, is when to start a new paragraph, as you can see. :lmao:

Here's a quick definition, a motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An engine converts chemical energy into mechanical energy.

One thing, "Motor City" (aka Detriot, Michigan)

The english language is a tricky and complex thing. I dont expect everyone to have mastered it, I sure as heck havn't! I get what you guys are saying and I try my best, you cant reasonably ask for more. There have been times when I take upwards of an hour to get my posts correct, especially if I am starting a thread. You guys are great! I love this website and I would think of no where else first if I have a problem with my Z. I'll keep typing, you keep correcting, some how this site works I'm not going to question it.

I write technical documents currently for a lab and I am a stickler for spelling, grammar, etc... However I see the true core of this issue being laziness, coupled with new urban street slang. I made a couple of younger friends in my last year of college and when I would both talk with them, and/or get emails from them, they were riddled with this type of shite (IMO).

Bottom line is that this is not a normal forum. Members here are expected to be above average in terms of both attitude and etiquette. This is not myspace.com with pictures of the members in sideways baseball caps and XXXXXL pants. This is a site for intelligent gear heads no matter what age.

To be honest what one wears makes no difference to me, but they way one carries themselves in a conversation be-it verbal or written makes a huge impression.

I am with Mike C... if a post is full of the reedickulows slang I just pass it by... Mike (ON3GO) will answer them soon enough anyway!! :mrgreen: