HybridZ

VERY Frusterating day of work on the Z

trwebb26

Today the 78' 280Z was giving me absolute FITS!

1) Throttle cable. I've been messing around for the last 2 weeks trying to get a throttle cable setup I'd be happy with. I finally finsihed bolting everything where it needed to be... last thing to do - cut the lokar throttle cable to the right length. I wrapped a bunch of tape around it and cut it like I would a piece of braided stainless fuel line. As soon as I got finished - the stainless steel braid spread WAY apart. You are supposed to have a piece of aluminum that "keeps" the braid together, but when I got the cable - I pulled it off. It was freakin IMPOSSIBLE to push this thing over the braid. I've had trouble with braided stainless fuel line, but NOTHING like this. I ended up cutting it twice more with no luck - so now the cable is too short. Time to order a replacement *sigh*

2) I made up new Vaccum lines for the brake booster, and I only had "just enough" of the sweet blue hose. I had to make 2 pieces - One on each side of the 1-way valve mounted to the firewall. I ended up cutting one side too short. I guess I'll need to buy some more hose *sigh* What is that valve for anyways?

3) I bought a stainless steel clutch line from MSA to replace my badly cracked original rubber one. I got it all apart and found out that my slave cylinder is leaking *sigh*. Time to order a new slave cylinder.

4) Just for kicks - I tried to screw my new earls stainless clutch line into my leaky slave cylinder - and it bottoms out before seating! I looked to make sure that I had the copper crush washer. I did - and there is room to spare! What gives? Has anybody else installed one of these?

After that - I gave up. I figured that the car gods are not behind me today... better to stop before screwing up something big. Comments on the above questions are appreciated.

Tim

all i can help with is the valve in your vacum line. it is there to only allow a vacum in the brake booster (for the vac assist). I have only seen this on turbocharged cars, now i dont know what motor you are running.

In a turbocharged car it stops pressurised air going into the brake boost, which makes it really hard to brake. Have you ever coasted with the engine off and braked a few times? soo how it gets harder, this is because it has lost vacum.

sorry for the long asnwer and I hope that is the answer you were looking for.

the slave cylinder line is a common thing.

i have it on my blue Z and another houston Z guy has it on his..

both of ours bottoms out before its anywhere near flush.

i called MSA and they said they know about this but have been selling them for years and years and never heard of a problem.

they said to just screw it till it bottoms out and thats it..

said it wont leak, and well it hasnt for me or J...

i used some copper washers for mine to be safe though.

im also looking for a good upgrade for a slave cylinder... us houston Z guys are blowing them out like its crack in a crack house...

mike

im also looking for a good upgrade for a slave cylinder... us houston Z guys are blowing them out like its crack in a crack house...

mike

I think someone said that they used the Pathfinder slave...

just something to look into as I have not tried it myself

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced my rubber hose with the MSA SS clutch line as well. The fact it bottomed out definitely made me nervous because the fitting at the end of the hose doesn't look like it matches the flare inside the slave cylinder. You guys are definitely using 280z slaves? I've been told the 240z slave used this type of flare fitting.

Not sure if I want to leave it like this...

PS - I also replace my slave cylinder about once a year per car.

been there done that and more.

I've never had a slave cylinder blow, ya'll must not be keeping the fluid clean or something. they should be flushed yearly as hydraulic fluid attracks moisture, here in houston mine gets flushed about every 4-6 months depending on usage and rain.

-Ed

Hi, trwebb26.

I have a little trick I use for the cable problem.

Got a soldering iron?

Use it and some solder to tin about 1" of the cable, about a half inch on either side of the cut you want to make.

If you have a bench grinder use it to cut the cable and deburr the severed end.

Mike.

Hi' date=' trwebb26.

I have a little trick I use for the cable problem.

Got a soldering iron?

Use it and some solder to tin about 1" of the cable, about a half inch on either side of the cut you want to make.

If you have a bench grinder use it to cut the cable and deburr the severed end.

Mike.[/quote']

Nice trick... i'll remember that