HybridZ

Chrome Paint

Boobala

I doubt you will ever find anything in writing that says its illegal. Wording like "anything distracting to other drivers" is complete opinion and can be fought in court quite easily. Not saying you wont have cops try to give you tickets but they would never fly in court because arguments like listed above could easily be brought up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if headphones are illegal, then what about bluetooth headsets? and if bluetooth headsets are legal then what about normal headsets? then whats the difference between normal headsets and headphones?

are deaf people allowed to drive?

you see alot of people driving around now with ipod headphones in, one of my chick friends lost her licence for wearing her's, but only because she "couldn't hear the engine revving so high so i didn't realise i was speeding" and was caught by a camera, HAHA

there's some statistic about silver cars being in more accidents because they are so reflective and blinding, i watched some show about some famousish guy who was driving his old silver convertable and was killed, and they did a reinactment on it, and it sure was glarey! but then i think silver is the most popular car colour atm so i dont know if the statistic was taking that into account

and another one about dark grey cars as they blend into the road, which i can understand specially in the rain when the nobs dont turn on their lights!

I know I got a ticket for wearing headphones while riding my bike one day. I thought it was dumb and explained to the cop that I have some riding buddies that ride cross country with 2 way radios in their helmets and its legal. He said he didnt care and that I wouldnt be able to hear someone trying to honk at me with them on. Ended up giving the ticket to my lawyer and he got it thrown out of court.

• 2 years later...

i was thinking of getting this exact paint but then i realized if your driving at night people might not be able to see you as well, and i don't think the police would like this too much either. On a good side if someone wants to put their bright high beams on your car they are going to getit wosre back to the because that is about 85% reflection. I wanted to be the nly person with a datsun 280z plus with a mirror paint job

Keep us posted on that if you can. I have the same idea but I'm probably a few months away from doing it.

thanks

derek

the all chrome car looks so tacky. i've been thinking about using this on my fiberglass bumpers on my '72 because its sooo hard to find chrome bumpers for a decent price.

I'd say this would vary from region to region or state to state, depending on the vehicle code. I've seen numerous polished steel or aluminum cars on the street (Jay Leno's Blastolene Special, a few AC Cobras and Lotus Sevens come to mind), so the whole 'distraction to other drivers' bit seems like a load of bull without a citation of the section of a state or federal vehicle code that prohibits it.

I'm considering FG bumpers myself, since the weight savings would be nice, although I'll probably re-mount my stock bumpers at this point, due to the expense of the FG bumpers.

• 2 months later...
This would distract me!:

chrome20skyline7ag.th.jpg

Oh and neon lights here in New Zealand arnt illegal unless the source of the light (the bulb) is visible.

Therefore its legal to have the beam/ray/glow (whatever you want to call it) visible.

Are they totaly illegal in the USA?

It looks ike it starts to become invisible if you look at it long enough

I do not think there is a law in Georgia for Chrome or High Polish paint. This weekend I went to the Year One Experience,(NICE CARS !!!!!!!)I took this photo of a Cobra and it was bright. There was so much to see, I do not know what the finish was on this car.

Chrome_ac_cobra.jpeg

wonder how hard it'd be to make a chrome-like paint look like the old GP cars (Birdcages, silver arrows) where the bodies where all polished to a shine...

chrome paint is not illegal in Ky and the neons can not be visible from the front of the vehicle... other than that all goes here.

sounds like automakers forgot how to form the metal smooth enough to polish right.... or didn't take care of it after the fact...

I've been looking for pictures of the old polished racecars but can't come across any decent ones, I know there is a VERY nicely done Mercedes on display in the Indianapolis 500 speedway museum, the only blemish on it was battle damage from a recent Historic race, and the museum guys say they can fix it perfectly when the next workbay is free'd up

I think this plus a candy color really just ends up looking like every other metallic paint, just a bit shinier, so I wouldn't go that route.

What happens if you take matte/flat black and mix it with this stuff... Some heads might be exploding right now. I am going to ask Alsa. :)