HybridZ

Intrest in a VH45 5spd adapter?

Clifton

The adapter is the only thing keeping me from starting this swap. From an earlier thread, Lost was going get some adapters made to attach it to a Z32 TT 5spd. He needed 10 people. I don't know what happened to this. I PM'd him but haven't heard back. I was going to use the Z32 N/A 5 spd as they are internaly the same, more abundant, and alot cheaper than the TT trans. I know someone that can make them but I would need to get more than one made to make it worth doing. Is anyone still interested in these?

The adapter is the only thing keeping me from starting this swap. From an earlier thread, Lost was going get some adapters made to attach it to a Z32 TT 5spd. He needed 10 people. I don't know what happened to this. I PM'd him but haven't heard back. I was going to use the Z32 N/A 5 spd as they are internaly the same, more abundant, and alot cheaper than the TT trans. I know someone that can make them but I would need to get more than one made to make it worth doing. Is anyone still interested in these?

Estimated price is...?

A local engineer has been building vh45 to toyota supra trans down this way for a while. I think he uses hydrualic through out bearings though. I could get a price if you were intereseted, shipping would probably kill it though.

Douglas

I don't know a price yet. I just wanted to see if there was any interest first before pulling the VH out of my parts car and bringing him the trans. Lost was going to charge $500. So I can't see it being more than that.

ZROSSA... What Supra trans? R154? Do you know what clutch he was going to use with it?

He used the w55 -w58 toyota 5 speed. I dont know what clutch. I will ask but I wont see him untill next week.

Douglas

That's ok. The W58 isn't the strongest trans. They are used on the n/a Supra's.

mtcookson.... Is this through Lost? I have seen quite a few posts on many boards were someone asked something and he never responded. He never responded to me either.

Yeah, I was working with lost on that one. He is pretty difficult to get ahold of. Did you try sending him an email or a private message? It might take a little while for him to reply, he's always on and off it seems.

Very awesome guy to work with though. He's definitely pretty cool.

I talked to Lost. Seemed like a nice guy. He said the lack of interest was dissapointing and isn't interested in making them unless 10-15 people were really interested. I don't think that will happen as there wasn't enough people before. I'll get this engine pulled in the next few weeks and find out what it will cost to get some made.

I'm interested too. I've got the motor, but haven't decided on a drivetrain yet. It'll more than likely be the Z32 5-sped as i know the flywheels between the Q45 and Z32 are similar dimension. Don't want to detour from the topic, but has anyone thought of using the z33 transmission? I've noticed they've been selling them rather cheaply on eBay and it had me questioning why. After checking a few blog spots, I've read of quite a few disappointed 350z customers. I do like the idea of a 6-speed, but should I keep clear frm those transmissions?

They seem to have syncro issues on the earlier ones. I'm not sure of the power handling but someone mentioned to me that the Z32 5-speed matches the VH45's power band a bit better than the 6-speed did, which makes sense but at the same time doesn't... both Z cars and the VH produce their peak power and torque at a pretty close rpm (both Z's peak hp at 6,400 and the VH at 6,000 while the Z's peak torque is at 3,600 for TT, 4,800 for 350Z, and 4,000 for VH). ***

In the end, I know one thing is absolutely certain... the Z32 5-speed has been proven to handle a lot of power.

Just checked the gear ratios of both trannies. Oddly enough, the 5-speed is overdriven slightly more than the 6-speed making the 6-speed a rather close ratio tranny. That would probably make it good for a N/A setup but if you go with some boost on the VH, the 5-speed would probably be a much better choice, plus there's a chance you would get better gas mileage with the 5-speed.

At the 2004 Z Car convention in NH, I spoke to great lenghts to Steve Millen and the engineer who worked, I forget his name, on the 350Z car on this topic. The general conclusion was that the Z33 box was only good fior the "stock" power of the Z33.

I'm interested too. I've got the motor, but haven't decided on a drivetrain yet. It'll more than likely be the Z32 5-sped as i know the flywheels between the Q45 and Z32 are similar dimension. Don't want to detour from the topic, but has anyone thought of using the z33 transmission? I've noticed they've been selling them rather cheaply on eBay and it had me questioning why. After checking a few blog spots, I've read of quite a few disappointed 350z customers. I do like the idea of a 6-speed, but should I keep clear frm those transmissions?