HybridZ

Whats the purpose of a vacuum gauge?

MIBPreacher

I probably sound stupid for asking this, but what is the purpose of the gauge anyways? I bought one off of ebay that came with the single plastic pillar mount. I installed it today and tied it in with my Manifold connection, it does look cool to see the gauge move and all, but I was just wondering. I show 22 on my gauge at idle, 0 at full throttle.

Thanks,

Rick

For me, the gauge is a tuning instrument. It can tell me if my rings are still sealing well. If the valves are sealing and if there are any vacuum leaks. It also is a great instrument for tuning carbs. At wide open throttle there should be little to no vacuum. So that is OK. At 22 at idle is great.

Lol, when you say it like that you make it sound bad.:eek:

Just after I bought my car, I was in the process of buying a couple of gauges (temp, vac, etc) but needed the money for other needless things so I couldnt. Then last week, I found this setup on Ebay for $14.26 and it came with the pod. i won it at that price and I got it today, I couldnt pass up the deal since brand new I probably would have spend 50.00 for both pieces or more at the Autozone or Advance autoparts. I put it in at work and it works great, but I had to wonder, what is the purpose for the guage.

How many times have you bought something just to buy it cause it looked cool?:icon45:

Autobots!: Transform! :lmao:

How many times have you bought something just to buy it cause it looked cool?:icon45:

Plenty.....but I knew 'why' I was buying it and what I would use it for. :lmao:

Just ribbin' ya man! I have been told that I have a "gauge fettish" by someone on this board. I like to know what is going on with all the systems when I am driving, although I have never felt the need to install a vac gauge...

Tim

Yes, I like the transformers, thats what I grew up with. My kids, 1 9yo and 1 4yo, even said my car looked like one from the cartoons I rented from the video store. I thought that was pretty cool. But not one time did I make fun of TheNeedforZ's carebear collection, or Tims mylittlepony obsession. No that would be just childish. :rolleyesg

I asked a honest question, thanks skipzoomie for the honest response.:cool:

That was just a little joke. I wasn't making fun of you, my bad, my bad. If you are a father but are still in touch with the fun side that makes you cool. Back when I was growing up, my parents wouldn't even allow Nintendo or whatever. I would put a lot of gauges in my car in an effort to monitor everything even though I don't need them...that's just the kind of thing I would do.

My bmw has a vaccum gauge from the factory. They call it a MPG gauge lol. It works in conjuction with the speedo to give you a average miles per gallon readout on the trip comuter. Its pretty nifty on trips, but other then being nifty its pretty worthless, I would rather have a boost gauge :)

Vacuum can be used as a relative measure on how much load is put on the engine - how hard you're asking the engine to work (or how much throttle you're giving it). As you put more load on the engine, vacuum drops. When you're coasting in neutral, there is no load on the engine (other than internal friction and weight) and so vacuum is at its highest point. When you're at WOT, you're putting a big load on the engine and vacuum will drop to zero.

So, you'll consume less gasoline driving at 4k rpm with 14'' vacuum than you would be at 2k rpm with a 0'' vacuum reading. Think about the gas pedal position in both situations... in the first, you're just using enough gas to keep the car cruising at 4k. In the second, you're accellerating from a low rpm and your foot is down.

So, you'll consume less gasoline driving at 4k rpm with 14'' vacuum than you would be at 2k rpm with a 0'' vacuum reading. Think about the gas pedal position in both situations... in the first, you're just using enough gas to keep the car cruising at 4k. In the second, you're accellerating from a low rpm and your foot is down.

...and the stock Z31 computer will go into open loop and just drop fuel like there's no tomorrow when you go passed a certain throttle level, thus contributing to crappy mileage.