HybridZ

3.0L VG30ET: 2 x GT28RS?

BLOZ UP

Disco potato??? :weird::ugg::weird:

If you expect to get cognizant answers from the folks on this board, please utilize the correct terminology for sub-components of your engine.

:twak:

The correct nomenclature is "turbosupercharger".

What year car do you have? You gave us absolutely no information other than it is a 3.0 SOHC...:toetap05:

Welcome aboard... I think.

:lmao:

Mike

If you expect to get cognizant answers from the folks on this board' date=' please utilize the correct terminology for sub-components of your engine.

What year car do you have? You gave us absolutely no information other than it is a 3.0 SOHC...:toetap05:

Mike[/quote']

If correct terminology includes years old neoligisms, then disco potato is fine: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=disco+potato

Anyway, it's the Garret GT28RS.

Flows 35lb/min.

I need at least 30lb/min on each side, if not more, for the ~550horsepower I want to make on a VG30E.

This is Nissan's VG30ET that's in 84-89 300ZXs, as well as some Maxima's, and some trucks.

Why should I need to give you other information? All I want to know are your opinions on the airflow and compressor map fit to the engine.

3.0L

83x87mm BxS

Compressio Ratio: Anywhere between 8.0:1 to 9.0:1, Probably the middle.

This is going into a '71 240z.

just curious why you want to go with a twin setup... double the cost for little to no gains of anything.

but to answer your question... from what i can figure out so far it looks like there might be a chance you would see some surging putting two of those on and it seems like it might take quite a bit of boost to hit the numbers you want.

i'm not the greatest with compressor maps and haven't messed with trying to figure out how figure one with a twin setup so i may be totally wrong.

On a multi valve Nissan two liter engine the discospud can make up to 300whp and still retain excellent driveability. Not sure how that translates to a three liter two valver V6, I'm thinking it could have a bit of a problem with driveability but don't really know..

In order to really give the right answer, I need to know why you're so admant about this TT set-up.

If it's for response, then I kind of see where you're comming from. That being said, I'd like to point out a couple pros/cons of each se-up.

Single:

Pro-Cheap, and easy. That's not to say that there's anything wrong w/ that. Once you start building your own turbo system you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Con-A little more laggier than the twin set-up.

Twin:

Pro-great response and great bragging rights.

Con-Surging. W/ a twin ball-bearing set-up, whether or not they will be minor or major, I'm 99% sure that you're going to have some surging issues. In order to avoid this problem, you'll have to do build a intake manifold like the VG30DETT where the right bank feeds the left bank. Which leads me to the next con. . .

Con-Price. W/ having to build a custom intake AND exhaust manifold, you're looking @ an insane amount of $$$.

Just a little something to think about. . . I'd LOVE to see that set-up come to life, though. . .

In order to really give the right answer' date=' I need to know why you're so admant about this TT set-up.

If it's for response, then I kind of see where you're comming from. That being said, I'd like to point out a couple pros/cons of each se-up.

Single:

Pro-Cheap, and easy. That's not to say that there's anything wrong w/ that. Once you start building your own turbo system you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Con-A little more laggier than the twin set-up.

Twin:

Pro-great response and great bragging rights.

Con-Surging. W/ a twin ball-bearing set-up, whether or not they will be minor or major, I'm 99% sure that you're going to have some surging issues. In order to avoid this problem, you'll have to do build a intake manifold like the VG30DETT where the right bank feeds the left bank. Which leads me to the next con. . .

Con-Price. W/ having to build a custom intake AND exhaust manifold, you're looking @ an insane amount of $$$.

Just a little something to think about. . . I'd LOVE to see that set-up come to life, though. . .[/quote']

I've already done a single turbo setup on this motor in my z31. I made quite a bit of power, and had made my own manifolds and intake plumbing, etc. I just want to try something different.

I work at a performance shop with a dyno and TIG and all, so I get a huge break on "labor" (read: free), so I figured try a TT setup.

Actually, I don't really see it being much "quicker" than one single, maybe only slightly faster spool. But the exhaust plumbing would be much easier if I had integral wastegates, and seperate exhaust manifolds.

Yeah, I was going to build an intake manifold, where the left exhaust manifold and turbo feed the right side, and vice versa. The intake will be the hardest part to make (aluminum, eck).

I've also been looking at ported 16G's, which seem to be a popular upgrade for the z32tt guys.

Thanks!

Guest Jason84NA-T

I think those would be a little on the laggy side. By my comparison you could probably do jst fine with them if you have nice head work and a 7.5K redline.

Disco potato... despite being a lame name has become a de-facto standard to describing that turbo.

Personally I would avoid ball bearing turbos like the plague. The BB status is fabricated for bragging rights and so people can justify the cost (they really dont perform much better in tests), add to that the fact that they are non-rebuildable. With center sections costing 90% of what the turbo does brand new from Garrett... fun stuff.

I would investigate the twin 16G option. Or even twin nissan T25's depending on the power level you want and the amount of money you want to spend.

Bush -v- BB? First turbo on avatar car's two liter was a hi flowed T3, it now has a GT28RS. There really is no comparison concerning driveability, plus the disco delivers a wider power band. Then you can use a lot more boost without risking a short turbo life so you get a lot more power in a real life situation. Its not only the BB's, its better aerodynamics.

The most telling comparison is when someone changes to a BB, they don't go back to a bush job for performance reasons. I like saving money as much as anyone else, but on absolutely crucial items like engine management and turbochargers you can rob yourself by over economising.

I don't think you'll have surge issues. The rpms were full boost will come on will be higher than stock. Even if it did surge at lower rpm at full boost, you would be out of that rpm range to fast to even know you had surge, unless it was a 5th gear pull staring at low rpms. There's alot of 3.0L Supras running twin GT2835's(GT3071) which are a bit larger than what you are considering. Many have done over 800rhwp with them. One I know of with twin 3240's. would say yea, only if you are dead set on twins. If you do upgrade, run atleast 18 psi. No point in running big turbos at low boost.

Are you planning on installing this twin turbo motor in your recently acquired 240? If so I hope you have incredible fabrication skills.

Yes. I work at a shop.

My welds aren't the prettiest, but the are just as strong as any other welder.

That definitely doesn't seem right... there must've been something terribly wrong because there are larger twin turbo upgrades for the 300ZX (and the VQ shouldn't flow that much less than the VG... if it even flows less. it could potentially flow better really.)

There must have been a boost leak or something major like that causing that problem.

If you expect to get cognizant answers from the folks on this board' date=' please utilize the correct terminology for sub-components of your engine.

Mike[/quote']

Man Mike,

Why do you jump on guys. Everyone with a turbo knows what a disco potato is. I thought his post was very clear. BTW disco potato=GT28RS