HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet Update Q45 install Pics Front Mount

qwik240z

I have a beef with the mount and the proposed fix that bolts to the stock strap holes in front of the diff. This is all untested and theoretical of course, but here it is.

Looks to me like the stock strap mounts are going to be 8" or so in front of the area where the strap would need to go. The problem with the design of the front mount as I see it is the length of the "arms" that attach to the bushings in the front of the diff. Those arms give more leverage to the diff as it tries to pull up. I think a pinion snubber (bushing on top that limits upward movement) DIRECTLY ON TOP OF the nose of the diff is the way to go.

Think of it this way: you want to prevent your friend from standing up from a kneeling position - yeah you could take that the wrong way, but stop thinking with the little brain for a second :wink:. So you stand directly in front of them and put both hands on their shoulders. It's going to be very hard for the other person to get up. Now try again, only this time extend your arms and kneel behind them. Much harder to prevent that lifting motion when you're not perpendicular to it.

I agree with the machinist that whatever method is used to prevent the pinion from lifting is going to have to be damn near solid. If the front of the diff can move then the aluminum mustache bar is going to be put in a twisting stress that the stock spring steel mustache bar is a lot better equipped to deal with. I know a couple people who have broken their strap and front diff mount on a R180 and R200 and the diff, still attached to the mustache bar by poly bushings, rocked all the way up to the point where the driveshaft U-joints hit the tranny tunnel!!! That's like 7 or 8 inches that the pinion raised up! The mustache bar didn't break and the front mount was fixed and off they went. The aluminum just doesn't have that flexibility, or if you bent it that far without breaking it wouldn't return to anything like it's original shape. If you want to run the aluminum mustach bar I really think you have to have a very positive way of preventing the front mount from lifting. I know Dave recommends that you use a solid front mount. I would think that if you were going to use a solid front mount then you should just machine the mustache bar bushings from aluminum and solid mount the whole damn thing.

Sorry to be so negative, other than that I really like your car qwik240z.

They finished up the diff install this past week. He built another bracket that mounts directly above the front diff mount. This bracket is kind of a squared off U shape and has a hard urethane bumpstop at the top of it. The bumpstop is adjustable. It is preloaded so it is just resting on the top of the tunnel. If the front mount arms do allow any movement (I doubt it as they are super stout), there will be no place for the front of the diff to go. We are very confident that this will be more then stong enough.

I will try to get some pics posted up soon.

• 1 year later...
What's up?

Prolly wondering about this loose end... :mrgreen:

They finished up the diff install this past week. He built another bracket that mounts directly above the front diff mount. This bracket is kind of a squared off U shape and has a hard urethane bumpstop at the top of it. The bumpstop is adjustable. It is preloaded so it is just resting on the top of the tunnel. If the front mount arms do allow any movement (I doubt it as they are super stout), there will be no place for the front of the diff to go. We are very confident that this will be more then stong enough.

I will try to get some pics posted up soon.

Just wanted to see the pics of the front mount.

Thanks!!

Pics of the mount are at the beginning of the thread. I have not posted a picture of the upper bumpstop as I would have to pull the mount from the car to do it. I will be pulling it over the winter as I am having a small leak from the trans rear seal and I need to pull the front diff mount in order to remove the driveshaft. I will post a picture when I do.

FYI I have almost 8000 miles on this swap with 4 track days several autocrosses and 2 dragstrip runs and ZERO problems with the diff mount.