HybridZ

Who's Interested in a Front Mount for Q45 Diff Install

qwik240z

David:

I think that the majority of people interested in the front mount would benefit from the one that you've had designed. For me, I'll rarely drag or street race and will only occasionally autocross. I think the mount would serve its purpose for me. If it comes down to it, I'd be interested.

Hopefully the discussion won't dissuade you from making a run of mounts.

Thanks.

Bryan

So are we saying the production of this part is now OFF ? If so.... bummer..... :(

David:

I think that the majority of people interested in the front mount would benefit from the one that you've had designed. For me' date=' I'll rarely drag or street race and will only occasionally autocross. I think the mount would serve its purpose for me. If it comes down to it, I'd be interested.

Hopefully the discussion won't dissuade you from making a run of mounts.

Thanks.

Bryan[/quote']

Guys,

I really would like to help out here but I guess I need to get mine finished, test it's strength and then evaluate if it makes sense to have them produced.

There are several problems here.

One problem is that I don't know if there are any differences in the mounting of these between the early or late 240Z, the early or late 260Z, and the 280Z.

Another problem is that once my car is together, I don't want to pull it apart for the guy to make a jig to make these mounts. So a jig would need to be made now before it is all together with the assumption that this part will be all it is supposed to be. The fabricator is not going to waste his time making a jig for this unless he knows he is going to be able to sell enough of them to make it worth his time. (10+ units)

This post was intended to try to find out who would be interested in these, as you see them, not who has a different, better or cheaper way to make them.

So, lets start this again.

The mount is being built for my car that will be driven mostly as a weekend cruiser with some track school days (2 per year average) and a few blasts down the 1/4 mile track on street tires (225-50-16). My car is a 1972 240Z that has an Stock LS1/T56 conversion that puts down 317RWHP and 365RWT.

Assuming that the Fabricator will decide to do this for us, Who would be interested in purchasing one of these assuming that the test mule shows that it will be strong enough for my car and my intended uses?

And if you are interested, would you be willing to put up a $50 deposit per unit, that would be refunded if this doesn't work out?

The price will be $250 for the 1st run of at least ten units (for deposits received by March 31, 2006) and $300 for any after that. This way the 1st guys who were willing to take a chance would reap the benefit of a lower price and the sceptics would have to pay a little more.

David, Put me down for one. I certainly didn't mean to sidetrack your efforts with my comments to Terry. You are correct that in a few circumstances this part might not work, but for most, it certainly would.

Mike

Z parts are getting expensive. $300 for a Billet Moustashe Bar' date=' $350 for the AZC rear brace, $300 for a set of billet axles for the Q45 C/V's, $200 for Q45 C/V adaptors, and the list goes on.

How much do you think a fabricator should get for his time, $10 per hour?

Around here they get $70-$80 per hour. And that is during regular work hours. So is a profit of $20-$30 worth it tothe guy to give up his free time to make parts for us?

After paying for the material and shop supplies, he will probably make $100 per unit profit on these and if he sells 10 of them that's a whopping $1000.

It might take him 20 hours to make ten of them and he is taking his days off and evening time away from his family to do it.

How much would you need to be paid to give up your one day off per week?

I guess it is all relative as to how much money you make and how much you value your free time. If you have a family, free time is pretty rare.

I wouldn't trade my day off for less then $500 cold cash. But that is just me.[/quote']

I think you misunderstand the whole point of owning a Z. It's not profitable. Plain and simple, if your into Z's to make cash you should just pack up shop now, it's for the love of the cars, and driving them, that is why people here make the parts. Giving up family time, or is it just putting time into a hobby? that's the bigger question.

I think you misunderstand the whole point of owning a Z. It's not profitable. Plain and simple, if your into Z's to make cash you should just pack up shop now, it's for the love of the cars, and driving them, that is why people here make the parts. Giving up family time, or is it just putting time into a hobby? that's the bigger question.

I think you need to re-read what I said. I am talking about a fabricator that I have paid to make this for me. He is not a Z car guy, Actually, he is an Oldsmobile guy.

He has spent 4-5 hours so far on my mount. I bet it will take 2 more to finish it up. If you add up the dollars, that is about $400 that I will pay for it. If he decides to make these for us, the rest of you will pay much less. I am not complaining. I have invested about $30K invested in my Z so far.

I do it for the love of my Z. The fabricator does it for the money.

Ya, I was about to reply but you beat me to it. I have been in the position many times of having to determine a price for a product or service... and the problem is, most people make the mistake of undervaluing their time. $250 seems a reasonable price to me for what is being delivered, jigged or not. Even the machinist/fabricator likely has to decide between the hassle of this project or declining it for one with higher returns. Were I not going a different route, I would pony up for this part now, and still may at the higher price, to use until my long-range mods come into play.

Thanks for taking the time to try and give to the community.

I Think That Part Is Over Priced, I Think Any Decent Fabricator Could Make One In No More Than 2 Hours I Know I Can At Least. The Other Desings Looked Much Better I THINK THE ONE FASTZCARS POSTED WOULD BE WORTH THE $250 THATS JUST ME

So then why haven't you made one to help out the Z community? This has been a much needed part for quite a while.

It would take you less than 2 Hours? I would have gladly bought one from you if you had given up 2 hours of your time to make one that is a better design and cheaper too.

How nice of you to help out the Z community by offering a part that lots of us could use and only taking up 2 hours of your time to provide. Yes. Maybe now that this one has been designed, you could copy it in two hours. I seriously doubt that from the time you put the car on a lift until the time you went for test drive you could design and fabricate one and it would only be two hours. But nice try.

Maybe you could try to help out your Z brothers and provide a part or a service instead of knocking something that may just be the answer many of us are looking for.

If I had the skills to make one like you say you have, I certainly would have given up only 2 hours of my time to help out my Z car bothers, but thats just me!

I didn't set out to have a front diff mount made for the masses. I set out to have one made for ME!

I posted some pics of it to share with the members of this forum and I was asked by others if there is any chance of gettting some made. I looked into it. Here it is. If it works for me, I will be happy. I am trying to help the Z community. Give back a little for all of the help I have received here on this list.

Are you doing your part??

If anyone is seriously interested in getting one of these, email me off list.

I really don't want to waste my energy justifying this anymore.

I want to do my part to help and I think this part will be more than good enough for most of us.

The ones that don't like the design or the price can make their own or have someone build them one (cheaper).

My email address is: qwik510@aol.com

quik240z, I understand your frustation, your trying to give back, and it's not going as well as you planned. I think that if anyone of us would like such a part, they should just e-mail or PM quik240z.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

This Q45 diff swap has been done by quite a few list members and no one has offered to make one of these. It is the missing link in an otherwise straight forward diff upgrade.

The lack of having a bolt in part almost stopped me from doing this swap. I decided to spend the bucks to have a mount made and since it seems like it will work, I offered to share it with others that either dont' have the skills or the means to get one unless someone make it for them.

I wish all of the ones that have made negative comments about this one would design a better one, produce it and offer it to the rest of the people that want them.

I really don't want to get into making these but I will to help out other Z owners. It will take up alot of my free time. I am glad to be able to give back to the list.

How many of you naysayers have given to the list?

Again, if you want one, email me: qwik510@aol.com

I Think That Part Is Over Priced, I Think Any Decent Fabricator Could Make One In No More Than 2 Hours I Know I Can At Least. The Other Desings Looked Much Better I THINK THE ONE FASTZCARS POSTED WOULD BE WORTH THE $250 THATS JUST ME

Well, let's see it... It is easy to brag on the 'net. Talk is way cheap. It is also easy to tear down someone's idea and still be clueless. Did you know your key is getting stuck?

:lmao:

qwik240z,

If I didn't already have an idea for a front mount for my R230, I would definitely be sending a PM.

Because the TOOLS are coming out of the woodwork and commenting negatively in this thread, I'm locking it. If anyone wants to take part in this effort, contact David offline. The rest with their UTTER CRAP comments, take them over to Zcar.com where they will be appreciated. :2thumbs:

Sometimes I wish for the days when we were a smaller, closer knit community... :roll:

Mike