HybridZ

engine builds that might interest you guys

this brings up a question that I've been wondering about. these engine combos are freakin sweet and motivates me to save for heads. but what I want to know is weather all that horsepower can be reigned in in an autocross or track condition. I'm wanting to setup my z to be a street legal autocross killer(ya know sticky hoosiers, no interior, stiff springs ect...). is it just too much to have 540hp on tap or would it be better to have say 350-400 on tap and some giggle juice for special occasions?

any ideas?

jesse

Phatz,

I'm going the way of having 350-400 hp on tap, and a little of the giggle juice. If course the giggle juice is a little down the road, but I'm sure I'll be happy with the power my worked over LT1 will put out.

onephatz

I can see youve yet to drive a really serious engine,combo, just because an engine peaks out at lets say 550hp does not mean it puts that out those numbers lower in the rpm curve, but that power is instantly available to you when you need it simply by depressing your foot! if you can drive your current combo with your foot to the floor on other than the long straits you need more engine,the instant ability to brake the tires loose and drift thru corners allows you options that lesser engines don,t, to answer your question, the higher hp engine combo will be noticably faster on a road course IN THE HANDS OF A SKILLED DRIVER, provided the cars brakes and handling are anywhere near close to correct.

you might want to spend time reading here

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/

btw

a roll cage, good tires LIGHT WEIGHT, LARGE EFFECTIVE BRAKES and some carefully worked out suspension geometry and weight distrabution can make handling 500-700hp FUN!

Grumpy, I don't have time to read all this right now, the battery on my laptop is almost dead, but I have to say that what I've read so far has not only been saliva inducing, but very informative. I started looking out for threads that you've started lately, and I'm learning a lot.

BTW, You're not related to Grumpy Jenkins are you?

From what I have read previously the LS blocks don't work well for high horsepower builds (say over 600-700 hp). The article Grumpy posted seems to confirm this. They used a 6.0L truck block on the Ps!-chotic build.

From what i've been gathering from reading Engine Masters (the magazine), is that most LS1/6 blocks are limited on the amount of displacement by the size of their bore. In the couple of builds that I've read from Engine Masters on big displacement LSx builds they opted for the iron 6.0 block because it can more safely be bored out further. In the most recent magazine, they build the big displacement Aluminum Block by replacing all of the sleeves from I believe Darton, which is supposed to be the new cutting edge thing for getting big displacement LSx Aluminum motors. If you've never read the magazine before I suggest picking it up, its awesome stuff, and designed for beginner-to-advanced engine builders. I'm just an avid reader, but great great tech stuff.

Grumpy, that big ol' Purple Caddillac Engine that you showed the video for wasn't able to run in the Challenge due to dampner failure wasn't it? Also have you ever competed, it seems like it would be up your alley....

Tyson