HybridZ

Intercooler Installation - Let the Fun Begin!!!

Nigel

After 4 years of driving a non-intercooled 240Z Turbo, I just couldn't take it anymore (still good for 13.7ET though). So, over the past couple of months I've been piecing together all of the necessary components, and I finally have everything together. I took today and Monday off work so I can play with all my new stuff! Next week, I'll bring the aluminum tubing in to work with me to have our machinist tig it all together for me.

I'M SO EXCITED!!! It's like Christmas in March (Mind you, my Birthday was yesterday, but that's just a coincidence)

Oh yeah, I made the lower intercooler mount and throttle body spacer my-self. Our machinist gave me a crash course in using the mill and lathe. Now I can actually fabricate my own parts. Next on the list is a flange for the BOV.

Here's a picture of all the goodies (more to come as I make progress)...

IntercoolerComponents.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Yeah, the 2 elbows were $45 each from boostcontroller.com. The silicone cost me more than the intercooler! But, everthing I looked at was either too short or really long. As we all know, it's pretty hard to make short tubes longer. I checked every source I could find and in the end, boostcontroller.com had the best overall price with shipping. I'll probably sell what I cut off to recover some of the cost.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Everything is moving forward. However, I'm not as far forward as I would have liked. But, I decided to makes some changes to my original plan, which burnt up some extra time. Originally I was going to leave my RX-7 oil cooler where it was and mount the intercooler behind it. It would have only blocked 3 or 4 of the bottom rows of the intercooler, which probably won't see much air flow anyway. But I just didn't like the thought of having a big heat source right in front of the intercooler. Not to mention that the oil cooler is used, and looks pretty beat up. So, I decided to mount the oil cooler behind the intercooler. To make a long story short, it took me a lot of time to design and fab up new brackets for the oil cooler. And I still don't know how I'm going to connect the oil feed line exactly.

Anyway, the intercooler is in now. It just barely clears the hood but it fits. And I now have all the tubing mocked up, so it just needs to be welded (only 3 needed plus BOV flange). I had to re-clock the turbine housing, which means my wastegate actuator no longer lines up. I'm going to have to bend and extend the rod to make it reach. Plus, there are several other odds and ends that are going to have to be relocated/rerouted.

Well, enough talk. Here are the pictures...

IntercoolerInstalled.jpg

LowerBracket.jpg

UpperBracket.jpg

PipeFitting.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Thanks guys. It's getting there. I got the watter line to the turbo rerouted, and the wastegate actuator arm bent. I just need to lengthen it now. I spent the better part of this evening wrestiling with the turbine housing bolts. I have a stainless steel heat shield for the turbine, and I have to rotate the housing to get the 2 bolts off that will hold the shield. Of course, this means I have to loosen all of the bolts. There's one left on the back side of the turbo. I can get a stubby wrench on it, but I just can apply enough force to break it loose. I'm beginning to think it would have been easier to remove the whole damn turbo! Oh well, all part of the fun...

Nigel

'73 240ZT