HybridZ

Would nitrous help a turbo l28 get off the line faster?

Thumper

Ok I was having a discussion with ON3GO about if nitrous would help my car get off the line faster. We were talking about 60ft times only. The cars get full boost in first gear by 4k rpms and they will be running 235/60 r15 drag radials.

My argument was that since I can launch my car hard enough that if I wanted to I could spin the tires from when the light comes on untill end of first that I do not need anymore power from nitrous. His argument was nitrous would let us launch at a lower rpm and let us get BETTER 60ft times.

He also said professional drag cars and other such and such cars are faster when they launch with nitrous. I then rebutted they don't have enough power to spin the tires off the line without nitrous I do. So they need the extra power down low in order to get the most out of there tires. I am not looking so much to see who is right (although I know I am:lol: ) more along the lines of the theory behind it. Thanks

If they can do a burn in the box then they have enough power to burn at launch. Its all about what rpm you launch at and how fast you dump the clutch. My 2c is that with lots of practic you could find a sweet spot in the lower rpm range where your turbo is not spooled producing the hp that the nitro could help out with. Longer usable hp curve must = faster 60ft times, no?

If they can do a burn in the box then they have enough power to burn at launch. Its all about what rpm you launch at and how fast you dump the clutch. My 2c is that with lots of practic you could find a sweet spot in the lower rpm range where your turbo is not spooled producing the hp that the nitro could help out with. Longer usable hp curve must = faster 60ft times, no?

I don't think thats true. In the burn out box they have water so less traction. Also nitrous is an on/off 35hp-100hp difference so managing that would be harder in my opinion then just modulating the throttle.

Guest ON3GO

ya theres all kinds of controllers for nitrous, also most kits can be used with a WOT switch.. so untill you floor the car (with the nitrous turned on by a switch) it wont spray.

I don't think it's that they don't have the power to spin the tire but, that they have dialed in the supension and all so that they can get maximum traction at the RPM they are launching at.

I'm no expert but, it seems to me like if you could get a good launch then hit the juice after you are hooked up it would help.

sorry if this is kind of off-topic, im kinda new to looking into nitrous anyway since i was always against it, but is there a nitrous setup where it initiates depending on percentage of throttle applied?

That is something that I have been looking into for a while now. I've been totally against nitrous as well, but I can see some advantages. I haven't really found anything yet that would do that. I did have an idea that you could use some sort of switch mounted to the floor board with some sort of voltage regulator on it. When you put the gas down it would send out more voltage the further you push down the pedal. So basically you have a set throtle point where the nitrous activates. Im not too sure of the ability to do this but a friend and I are working on it now to see of it would work in his turbo Civic hatch.

There would be the issue of having some sort of "ECU" or maybe realy to tell the nitrous when to activate. I'm not that great of an electrician so its a slow process, but my dad used to work for Boeing so he knows all that stuff and a good buddy of mine is a total computer whiz. Ill let you know what we find out.

ya theres all kinds of controllers for nitrous, also most kits can be used with a WOT switch.. so untill you floor the car (with the nitrous turned on by a switch) it wont spray.

The system we are working on would be like the WOT switch but we are trying to make it adjustable so you could set the point at which it kicks on. I think this could help alot for drag launching. But, like I said, I'm new the the nitrous stuff so I could be totally wrong.

Guest ON3GO
The system we are working on would be like the WOT switch but we are trying to make it adjustable so you could set the point at which it kicks on. I think this could help alot for drag launching. But, like I said, I'm new the the nitrous stuff so I could be totally wrong.

alot of good Standalone systems have that, even NOS or other brands have there own controllers so they will come on at a certen time.

I know Megasquirt has it and i hope to use it before i get rid of this L28ET...

mike

Nitrous will spool a turbo right NOW.I ran an over 200hp shot to the wheels on a turbo car with slicks for over 200 drag runs.With drag radials the nitrous hurt my 60` times as I overstepped the avalable traction.If you have the traction nitrous will do nothing but make a turbo car faster if it is setup correctly ..if not setup correctly a turbo car on N20 will ruin your day.

Guest ON3GO

how about on a auto car with a nice stall, say 3500rpms or a tad more.

with a the M/T ET streets i think spraying would do nothing but help.

I have no experience to take this with a grain of salt, but it would seem to be that a: everything 510six said makes perfect sense and b: there are other (some easier) ways to make sure you're leaving the line with as much boost(power) as the tyres can handle:

two-step rev limiter

anti-lag

high stall auto

transbrake auto

Dave

You might check on www.twinturbo.net or www.300ZX.com. I was talking with a guy from the Dallas area with a 300ZXTT that, at that time, was planing on getting a special nitrous kit that is designed to spool the turbo up at launch. The primary application is for cars with automatic trannies as those with standards can generally find the sweep launch rpm where it all comes together.

there is an addon for megasquirt to controll a NO2 turbo spoolup or just plain NO2 control, it had settings for min on rpm and max map to shut off, looked like a good idea but I don't kow how much it would really help,

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/nitrous.html

there is also a launch control to build boost on the line

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/launch.html

and an onboard elextronic boost controller just add your own fast acting valve

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/boost.html

forgive me if your already aware of and or using any of these but I've not noticed mention of them

My old TT setup used 125shot off the line with the powerglide tranny. I would foot brake ~2800rpm(0psi) and had the nitrous on a full throttle switch. Got instant boost ~17-19psi and the car cut several 1.66 60ft times. Had wheel spin issues most of the time with the Nitto drag radials. Was a bit much depending on whether the track was prepped. Even with a crappy 1.8 60ft the car went 10.6 at 134.1. BTW, this race was against some clown with a supercharger kit on a mustang. He had all the go fast boys around his car thinking it was all that. LATER! I have it on video and need to convert it some time.

timeslip1.jpg

My old TT setup used 125shot off the line with the powerglide tranny. I would foot brake ~2800rpm(0psi) and had the nitrous on a full throttle switch. Got instant boost ~17-19psi and the car cut several 1.66 60ft times. Had wheel spin issues most of the time with the Nitto drag radials. Was a bit much depending on whether the track was prepped. Even with a crappy 1.8 60ft the car went 10.6 at 134.1. BTW' date=' this race was against some clown with a supercharger kit on a mustang. He had all the go fast boys around his car thinking it was all that. LATER! I have it on video and need to convert it some time.

[img']http://www.speedshopthagard.com/pics/projects/240Z_twinturbo/timeslip1.jpg[/img]

What would happen if you launched without the nitrous? Bog and the slowly build boost? And you didn't have enough power to spin the tires correct unless you used the nitrous? Thats what i'm trying to get at if you car has enough power without the nitrous to launch as hard as your tires can hold why would nitrous make you launch faster. Thanks