HybridZ

Windsheild replacement

cygnusx1

My '76 Z has all original glass in it. The windsheild is really getting hard to see through with all the micro-scratches of 150K miles. I had the car repainted about 5 years ago and had the windsheild removed for the bodywork and then it was re-installed with new rubber and new trim. Can any glass shop replace a Z windshield or should I look for an "expert". I am most concerned with installing the trim without damaging anything. Also, anyone recommend good glass? Nissan glass?

Guest 73TPIZ

I'd look for someone like the guys i use sometimes. Two brothers who've probably been doin' glass since the Z was new. Good size operation but off the beaten path and not a big new place where the owner did glass 30 years ago but wouldn't touch one now, has his secretary set up an appointment with one of the 20 year olds in the back that do it. Just drive the Z to a couple of places and see how they react to the job. Any uneasiness on their part and I'd run like the dickens. They'll bend the chrome or tear the rubber and then try to charge you for it.

My guys also do dump trucks and the like where the glass goes in the rubber and mounts similar to the Z, just w/o the chrome.

What's crazy they had my windshield in stock. It looked like it'd been on the shelf since my Z was shiny. Totally grey and couldn't see through it till they hosed it off. They commented they hadn't carried a windshield that tiny in years.:)

DAVE: If you know any body shops , check with them. They usually know who the better installers are. Some of the guys who normally work for the big glass installers, also "moonlight"! I had some difficulty getting a windshield for the RoadZter. I don't believe Nissan ones are available. Local glass places, where I had gotten the last two, couldn't get me one. Some on-line sources were very expensive, plus freight. I finally got a PPG glass windshield from a local wholesale after market parts place for $135. Send be a PM with your phone number ,I'll call you. maybe I can help you out. AL

Yep. Like SpeedRacer it's never been a problem for me finding a windshield, and never expensive either. I've had my Z windshields replaced 3 times in various cars. In one I got it replaced and less than a week later caught a big rock from a 4x4 right in my line of sight. That sucked. Anyway, I also had the seal, and I think I paid less than $150 for the windshield with the blue tint at the top, which was slightly more expensive than the non tinted kind.

Call around to your local automotive glass replacement shops. They came to my house and installed a brand new windshield (I provided the new rubber gasket) for $108.75.

Next time I need a windshield, I'm coming to Michigan! Al

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I just had the windshield replaced in my DD and I really like the look of clean, brand new glass. I never did have the Z windshield changed, but I bought an Eastwood Glass polishing kit. I am going to try it out this weekend and will keep you posted of the results.

Good luck with the Eastwood kit. A friend of mine tried that but didn't think the results were good. Hopefully you'll have better results.

This is an old thread but I just had the windshield replaced in my DD and I really like the look of clean, brand new glass. I never did have the Z windshield changed, but I bought an Eastwood Glass polishing kit. I am going to try it out this weekend and will keep you posted of the results.

Pretty sure the seal on mine is leaking. If one were to attempt to replace the glass themselves, is it the same process with the hatch glass, just run a rope around the seal's channel and pull it through from the inside, or is there more involved?

I've got a secondhand hatch window without tint, I'm going to be replacing the hatch glass soon and take care of some rust issues back there. I want to try replacing it myself. Might as well do both at the same time, if I can.