HybridZ

Opening a chrome shop? Problems? Info?

Sparks280zt

My uncle is tossing around the idea to open a chrome shop on some new property he recently acquired. I told him I thought there was some red tape to cut in regards to the chemicals and what not but I was not 100% sure. Does anyone know anything about chrome shops and the start up money required? Any advice would be great.

Chrome is really dangerous and hard to waste treat. That plus you have to be able to plate nickel well. Plating is a real science and takes alot of experience to be able to handle all the chemicals and troubleshoot the baths. Running a daily hull cell, pumping 66% HCL and 99% H2SO4. Keeping all the rinses clean, carbon treating.

Ask me, I make circuit boards and I've been involved with plating copper, nickel, gold and tin for 30 years. Our bigest tank's are only 400 gallons, but our investment in tanks, rectifers, wastetreatment, and lab equipment has got to be upwards of 250,000 dollars. That plus the county monitors our water and the EPA makes regular visits. Oh, did I mention that you can get a big fine or be put in jail for not being in compliance with your counties regulations.

I would advise against it also. Your waste will be subject to RCRA regualtions and you will be under scrutiny by air districts, DTSC, OSHA, County, Municiple agencies. You will spend most of your time and money complying with regulations and paying fees and taxes on your waste streams. Have your uncle talk to someone who runs, or has run a chroming shop.

I've also heard rumors that the EPA is making the airborne Hexavalent Chrome standards 10 times more stringent next year. The cost of the equipment needed to meet those standards is prohibitive for small operations.