HybridZ

Important info on NISMO 0.6mm head gasket

drzed

For all those who may be interested in using a NISMO 0.6mm head gasket you may want to think again. I finally found a source for this gasket (performancenissanparts.com) and was quite surprised when I took it out of the package the other day. This is not a multi layer steel gasket like the 1mm and 2mm gaskets even though it is the same price!

So what I just purchased, shipped and paid brokerage on was basically a slightly better than stock Nissan head gasket for $154 plus brokerage and taxes. Not a good deal in my books. I expected that I could use the gasket maybe 3 or 4 times so that made the price more reasonable in my opinion. This style gasket obviously can only be used once. It looks like a good quality gasket with even wider fire rings than the stock Nissan piece.

Now to make matters worse the gasket measures out at .060" on the steel fire rings and .055" on the fiber. I don't think this gasket is going to compress to .024" (.6mm) even though they said it would when I called yesterday to confirm that I received the right part in the box. They also said that it was not advertised as a MLS gasket but I can't confirm this since their website has been down for the last 2 weeks. To be fair I may has just assumed this from other information I have found on the internet. I can't really send it back (even if they would take it back as it was a special order) since I would be eating the shipping, brokerage and taxes twice making the 1mm I would order even more expensive.

So I will be installing this overpriced POS tomorrow AM and measuring the compressed thickness - I will post results and if it isn't quite close to .024 I will be making another call to these guys.

For interest would like to post some pics of this gasket but I can't seem to figure out how to downsize the pics to meet the required size limits. I don't have any software that can do this - is there anything that does this for free on the net?

For interest would like to post some pics of this gasket but I can't seem to figure out how to downsize the pics to meet the required size limits. I don't have any software that can do this - is there anything that does this for free on the net?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

get the image resizer. Once you install it, you can right click on any picture to resize. Its the simplest one there is out there, and free.

Here are the pics (thanks Jonny). As you can see not much different than the stock Nissan gasket - except a little wider at the fire ring.

Now for the even worse news. As I was going to install the gasket I found that it actually overhangs my 86.5mm bore by about .020 on each side of the cylinder! The fire ring is actually a little egg shaped. Thats right this gasket would not even clear the stock 86mm bore of a 280Z block. So now I'm unable to put the engine together until I get this straightened out and a proper MLS head gasket. This gasket is supposed to be for a 91mm bore. What a POS!!

I'll keep you up to date as to whether or not these guys take care of this situation properly.

Hey 2003Z thanks for the link but I'm still back in the dark ages with Windows 2000 and that software doesn't support it. Guess I'll have to upgrade someday eh?

Gasket02_thumb.jpg

Gasket03_thumb.jpg

Here are the pics (thanks Jonny). As you can see not much different than the stock Nissan gasket - except a little wider at the fire ring.

Now for the even worse news. As I was going to install the gasket I found that it actually overhangs my 86.5mm bore by about .020 on each side of the cylinder! The fire ring is actually a little egg shaped. Thats right this gasket would not even clear the stock 86mm bore of a 280Z block. So now I'm unable to put the engine together until I get this straightened out and a proper MLS head gasket. This gasket is supposed to be for a 91mm bore. What a POS!!

I'll keep you up to date as to whether or not these guys take care of this situation properly.

Hey 2003Z thanks for the link but I'm still back in the dark ages with Windows 2000 and that software doesn't support it. Guess I'll have to upgrade someday eh?

Sounds like you may have received an improperly labeled gasket.

Trying to build a little more compression in this engine. The used forged pistons have a huge dish so I need as little gasket volume as possible. I'm committed to using the P90 I have.

I'm going with a 1mm gasket now anyway.

Thats right!! I forgot about the master plan of buying 1 x 2mm gasket and making 3 x .6mm gaskets out of the layers.

I've come up with an even better plan this time - I'm going to buy bone stock Nissan head gaskets and sell them to stupid unsuspecting Canadian's for $154 each!!!! They will be shipped in NISMO packages so it will still look like a cool part!

What do you think?

BTW when is the Munroe swap meet? Must be coming up soon.

• 10 months later...

I know that it can be done, I don't know that anyone suggests that it be done. The metal headgaskets are layered, so you can just peel the layers apart. As long as you're careful and don't kink the gasket, what's the problem? I think Dan Baldwin did this on his motor to get a custom thickness gasket.

My Nissan Comp gasket that I ordered not long ago, 2mm, has only 3 thick layers, I was thinking of doing the same thing so I didnt need to shave so much off my new head. It took me allmost 4 months to get my head gasket, I was pretty pissed with that, all summer I waited, and that was right from nissan......I guess thats part of the territory with 30 year old cars, being in canada doesnt help either......

Sorry to hear about your car.......see you at the track hopefully sooner then later !!!