HybridZ

Olderthanme's early 260 worklog(run 56k!!!)

OlderThanMe

Well before I used the mothers polish I did use the hose and cleaned the entire head off. Then used a stainless steel brush to clean out my exhaust port runners. I found out the polish does pretty good for cleaning gunk off of aluminium since it is a very slight abrasive.

OTM's sig:*confession*

Sorry Veritech-Z and a few others but I have graduated from the school of flat black. It is all BRAAP's fault...I found an old thread where he posted a pic one of his customer's mirror finish cylinder heads... It is too late to save me now.

Ah, you found that one, did you? I remember thinking that that guy had a lot more time on his hands than I do, too. I've got to respect the polish, It's just not in my nature to keep stuff clean on that level...Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. I blame BRAAP for making me want to take a picture of my car surrounded by hellatious tire smoke like in the mopar datsun thread...

yeah...I am looking to build a motor the right way (clean) so the rest of my car will have to go along. Since I have my car gutted I was getting tired of looking at this monster truck Z in my driveway so I dropped the coilovers all the way down...WOW. I now need camber plates so I can run it that low and still have travel left in the struts. The diff is like 5" off the ground. I can barely fit my jack under it.

Once I get this motor built then I'll have to post some good pics of the car...I may get some air tools so I can paint the car for real instead of this rustoleum stuff. Rustoleum is great for a beater but I have been driving a beater for several years. Time to hoke it up I guess..lol

Yeah, don't get me wrong, if I had the time/money, the camo zzzap! would be long gone. I'm all for stepping up to the world of perfect bodywork and candy paint, I'm just not in a position to do it right now. So camo it is. And might as well have fun with it, right?

hmm... Yeah I will be looking for some good front fenders since mine were trash even before the free fender flares. The rears are still salvageble as the ZG cut line is outside of my "free" flare modification. I will be cutting my fender wells out to provide maximum clearance for my tires. I am going to get my car as low as possible without sectioning my struts. That means camber plates instead of slotted towers.

I have dubbed this project "Loudmouth Z" as it will be just a little loud with a minimal interior and my already screaming exhaust. I am just going to be running a straight pipe to a Super Trapp "muffler". I am going to have my new exhaust fabricated from stainless steel since I am tired of this nasty rusty exhaust. I may build two engines at once to have my "Loudmouth special" and just make my L26 a mild street motor with maybe a regrind on the cam. If I can get another Z for like $500 to put that L26 motor in and make it a reliable daily driver that would be cool. Who knows. The possibilities are wide open at this point.

So you're planning to stay L-series then? What about paint, are you going to do what you have, but with a real spray gun? I'm leaning away from pearl white, and more towards the Scion color of green that's called camoflage. Or that neat pearl olive that came on some late 90's nissan cars. I might get a sand colored camo stripe, kind of like what I've got now, but I"m not sure...Maybe I'll draw it out. I just got a copy of Photoshop 7.0, so maybe I'll be able to figure that out enough to be useful.

well I haven't deicided what I am going to do for paint. Definitely not all black. I want a two tone. Maybe a red/black but in a more dark red. I only had $16 in paint and $25 in sandpaper and rollers etc..

I am planning to stay L-series with my car but it won't be any ordainary L-seies. I have thought about a black bottom half with a lime green top half...who knows... I might even paint it like an old BRE car...

m47865525.jpg

My cleaned up ignition system. I felt after disecting the stock redundant harness that putting the ignition unit in the engine bay would be better. This unit will probably be for sale soon. It is a stock replacement with 5 minutes of run time. Works excellent. You can hear it run in my videos.

m47864774.jpg

The stance is not too bad looking for having the motor and tranny out...Of course that is with full length struts and stock hats.

m47864039.jpg

a ittle shot of my half completed fusebox/wiring panel with temporary labels. All crimp connectors are soldered not crimped!

m47863539.jpg

That is all for now folks! More to come!

I don't think you CAN get the other side out without dropping the tank...I was able to do mine since I put in the fuel cell. If you let the gas out of them (the small valve in the hole on the mounting face) you could probably compress them down so they aren't so intrusive on your butt-shot...

I'll most likely be doing a fuel cell (99.5% chance) next year so that is in the plans for the loudmouth. I have already saved more than 100 pounds easy from interior junk. Maybe 150 pounds. I'll weigh it sometime. My early 260 bumpers are petty heavy as well. I must have removed 300-400 pounds that is not going back into the car. My dash only weighs like 2 pounds opposed to the stock 30 something pounds. I probably saved 2 pounds just in relays. From like 12-15 down to 5 relays.

If anyone would like to purchase my gas tank it was stripped and recoated 2 years ago. The bottom side needs a repaint as I have had to go on a few dirt roads on deleveries last year. The interior was sealed with a red paint. It cost me like $120 for the stripping and coating. Plus you get 2 gallons of premium gas with it as well!

You actually can do it with the tank kind of in place.

Just cut of as much as you can from the shock, (make sure you unscrew the little screw at the end to remove the pressure), then put a jack under your tank with a peice of wood to distribute more of the weight.

Undo the straps and move the tank as far back and to the exhaust side as possible (dropping it a tiny bit).

It should give you just about as much space as needed to remove the shock (I did mine with the exhaust still on and it barely squeezed through).

What's great is no need to undo fuel lines and such, but it'd be easier with an emptier tank.

Mario

sigh...They are already wired...I'll use those on my next Z...one day...

all of those loose wires are getting put into convoluted conduit.

you can se my last minute attempt to seal my gas pedal linkage before I went to that car show... SUs make a lot of fumes...