HybridZ

Spider crossed my path.

DaleMX

Guest l28et
scary. Just had a flight attendant on my last flight who was out for 3 weeks because he was bit by a brown recluse, in some chick's bed in conyers (wierd, a totally tattood, harley riding straight male flight attendant, but I swear its true!)

I just moved out here in November and came across my first brown recluse in my new house last week. Sucker was the size of a half dollar, and after talking to the exterminator, Im glad I didnt **** with it. Spiders are NOT for me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok when I was about to buy my Z I was taking a picture iof the overflow jet or whatever on the SUs and this 1.5in. across black widow crawled infront of the camera. I was holding the camera about 3 in. from the carb for some reason and saw it on the screen and freaked out. Got some bug killer and hosed the entire engine down...lol

I never understood the "OOh it's a spider, kill it" mindset either. I like spiders and would rather have them around than all the pests they eat. Same thing with snakes.

Thats a cool one you found, hope it hangs around your place and eliminates the flys, wasps, hornets and other undesirables about.

We have brown recluses and Black Widows where I live, those I will kill when I find them but others I leave alone, that is until they invade my house, then I transplant them if I can but if not will get rid of them to maintain peace in the house.

Wheelman

Guest iskone

Come on...,, You guys didn't play with spiders as kids? When I was growing up in California I always played with Black Widows. They are easy to find just lift up the cover on the water main to your house and they will be there.

I also don't/won't kill a spider. I see no reason, well a Brown Recluse I might be worried about.

Isk

I had a pet jumping spider when I was a kid. Those things are smart, like problem solving smart. Watching them stalk and kill flies is pretty fun. I used to find wolf spiders in my bed all the time too, would often wake up with bites from the spiders I din't find. Black widows and brown recluses were also pretty common in the mountains of AZ where I grew up, but the ones that really gave me the heeby jeebies were the sun spiders:

solpug5.jpg

They have these in Iraq too, only there they get to be the size of your hand, and they can run about as fast as you can.....

Mike

Z-Tard,

That "Sun Spider" also goes by the name "Wind Scorpion".

They are actually a scorpion not a spider. Those 2 bulbous things on it's head are actually it's pinchers and it has no stinger.

We have them here as well but hardly ever see them in town and you're correct, they run very fast.

Wheelman

can't run away from a super soaker filled with gasoline and a match haha.

Spray in front of where its heading and dowse its and then fire.

Haha. Up here, we don't have any of those freaky spiders. Only ones we see often are common house spiders.

First of all. Mannn. That thing is big. And I didnt know something like that existed in Georgia. Second the brown recluse is nothing to mess with. One night I am sitting on the floor watching a dvd with the little woman. I feel something touching my hand. I am like wow she is trying to get frisky. Lol. I look over and its a brown recluse trying to get friendly. I jump up. The little bugger took 2 hops. Thats right hops and I take the dvd cover and kill him. I hate spiders with a passion. They all must die. Lol.

I was doing some yard work in the sun a number of years ago and had my shirt off. I feel what I thought was sweat on by stomach...but it was moving up instead of down! Looked down and saw a black widow making her way up the 'trail of happiness' to my chest and freaked out! Flicked her off and made sure she became part of the walkway.

Davy

Black widow on your stomach is pretty scary for sure. You all know where guys used to get bit right? I'll give you a hint: black widow bites were a much bigger problem back in the days of OUTHOUSES.

You know what freaks me out more than big spiders? Big spider paralyzing and parasitic reproducing larval wasps like this sucker: http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/sep/papr/thawk.html

When I was living in CA I actually SHOT one of these things with a .22. They're that big. Another time I fended one off with a tennis racket. I would have freaked even more had I known about the pain of the sting.

Guest l28et

You know what freaks me out more than big spiders? Big spider paralyzing and parasitic reproducing larval wasps like this sucker: http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/sep/papr/thawk.html

When I was living in CA I actually SHOT one of these things with a .22. They're that big. Another time I fended one off with a tennis racket. I would have freaked even more had I known about the pain of the sting.

Holy ****. Flips over the spider, stings it, paralyzes it, then lays an egg in it and burries it? Thats hardcore.

Black widow on your stomach is pretty scary for sure. You all know where guys used to get bit right? I'll give you a hint: black widow bites were a much bigger problem back in the days of OUTHOUSES.

We had those tarantula wasps nesting in our sliding glass door rails almost every summer. Usually only 1 or 2...but that was plenty! They are cool and unnerving at the same time. They are HUGE for a wasp, super shiney black bodies with blueish wings, they buzz louder than a bumble bee when they fly and are obviously pretty powerful. When they land on something they seem to constantly flick thier wings every second or so. Its odd to see but convenient because it grabs your attention. I can totally see you fending one off with a tennis racket, lol.

I too am in the "spiders are OK group". Everything serves a purpose and spiders are very handy. They really are one of the ultimate hunters if you think about it. As long as they dont pose a threat to my family, I leave them be. I will always try to put them outside rather than kill them.

Had a insident with a hornets nest once. My dad rolled up some carpet and hung it under our porch. Hornets made a nestin one side of the rolled carpet. We tried to dowse the carpet with gas, but that just made them angry. Then we tried spraying them with gas, again mad ethem angry. Then we put a gabage bag on the end and jammed the nozzle in to the bag with it sealed. Them suckers a pretty freaky when you see them angry in a clear garbage bag. All died obvously. haha.

I'm ok with spiders too as long as I can make it go squish. thats me with pretty much anything. If I can't and its after me, I pretty much freak out. haha

Whoa. We had a composting pile far out in the backyard when I was growing up and I always saw those big black wasps. I NEVER knew what they were and only killed one when I was a kid. Man, I think I would have freaked out had I known what it was. Thanks for posting that, Jon. You solved one of those lingering questions I have always had, because no one I know could tell me what those insects were. Yuck.

Davy

this picture was sort of internet famous for awhile, it's supposedly a GI over in Iraq with one of those wind scorpions (also known as a camel spider, but you can tell it's not a real spider because of the fifth pair of legs) that was several feet long. turns out it's just a trick photo....

camel_spider.JPG