HybridZ

how to ...

caen fred

about 10 MM Hss works or a tapared drillbit

They make special drillbits specifically made for spotwelds, but I have never used them. Are they overkill? Might be something to look at if they are not too expensive.

Davy

When I removed my framerails I started using a drill bit, and I kept going through. Someone suggested using a cutoff wheel, and that worked a lot better. Might be some spots at the front and back of the rocker where it would be hard to get a cutoff wheel in position, but if you have one, it works good on the ones with good accessibility.

They make special drillbits specifically made for spotwelds' date=' but I have never used them. Are they overkill? Might be something to look at if they are not too expensive.

Davy[/quote']

They're not overkill. I have used them on my project since day one and have found them to be quite usefull.

Someone suggested using a cutoff wheel, and that worked a lot better. Might be some spots at the front and back of the rocker where it would be hard to get a cutoff wheel in position...

Heck yes. I imagine that an angle grinder would do the same job--just be prudent as to how much pressure one puts on the tool.

They're not overkill. I have used them on my project since day one and have found them to be quite usefull.

Thanks for the info!

Davy

Hi

The sill is one of the trickiest jobs to do! And not wanting to burst your bubble but if you need to ask how to do this, then are you sure you are up to the job? It has 3 pieces that are spot welded to form a strong structure

You need to support the chassis very well as the whole car will sag in the middle if you don’t!! also the rear of the sill runs in behind the lower front part of the rear quarter panel?

You need to decide if you want to fit the whole sill or stop at the back of the door opening where the sill disappears behind the rear Qtr panel (this is usually the area where water gets between the sill and this lower Qtr panel and rusts out, I have added a picture from Mulls marathon restoration.

01_G.jpg

The method I use is to cut/grind along the 90deg. Fold on the sill where it is spot-welded togeather and remove the main part (this will leave the actual flange where the spot welds are) then start at one end and grind through each spot-weld and pull/leaver up this remaining ½†wide strip, this should leave the area where the sill was mounted easily accessible to be cleaned up ready for the new sill! Gee it sounds so easy when you type it!!!!

Also here is a link to a UK site for the replacement for an MG which have the same basic layout as the Z http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&p=emg/sillrepa.htm

Thanks for the advice... but hey, I am no architect but still I managed to built my own house… the roof is still on top of it! I am no PHD but I run my own business since 1990!

Hell, I don’t even speak English!!!!!!!!!!!! I am what you could call a guy of challenge. I am not going to be beaten by a piece of metal.

:D

your car wont sag.. i have a parter with both rockers and roof cut off and it is still not VISABLY bent.. however i would make a supportbeam under the car and dont let it sit with a cut open piece to long. good luck

Wait you dont speak English ... well babelfish it !

your car wont sag.. i have a parter with both rockers and roof cut off and it is still not VISABLY bent.. however i would make a supportbeam under the car and dont let it sit with a cut open piece to long. good luck

It may not be VISABLE it but it WILL sag in the middle!! just try it and then check the door gaps if they will still fit? the sill is one of the main contributors to the strength of the chassis! And if you take it out what do you think is stopping it from sagging? I didn’t say you would see it sag, but trust me it will.

Also you are better to weld in the new sills with the doors fitted, so you can check the gaps and the open and closing, this way you can adjust any alignment problems before you weld in the new one.

Remind me of a friend’s car, a Peugeot 404 convertible. An old unibody rusty nasty car, but quite good lookin'

He couldn't open both doors at the same time or... He had to put weight at both end to close them again. Until one day the trunk of the car, jealous of the front engine bay with the noisy stinky engine, decided that it was about time to live its own life and parted from the rest of the car!!!!

You know what? I have a laser beam that I will use for science sake!!! I will let you know it moves or not!

nothing wrong with 404's i drive one as my daily while i finish my zed! doesn't get me to places quickly but hasn't let me down yet!! bit of character never hurt anywone :-)

as far as spot welds go....you can get the spot-weld bit...but just use a normal one and take a bit of care...if you're really unsure get a mate to show you how it's done.

Also, as mentioned earlier....make sure it is supported, I have seen someone fixing one without supporting.....the gaps went to hell..

even if it seems unnecessary, 10 minutes (or less) extra may save you a whole lot of grief.

good luck

Huw

Guest manntis
It may not be VISABLE it but it WILL[/b'] sag in the middle!! just try it and then check the door gaps if they will still fit? the sill is one of the main contributors to the strength of the chassis! And if you take it out what do you think is stopping it from sagging? I didn’t say you would see it sag, but trust me it will.

+1. I'ts a good idea to set up a temporary jig in the middle to support the weight of the car and hold the front and rear still in relation to each other.