HybridZ

280YZ Update

speeder

New pictures with final primered body configuration are now in my member gallery.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7493&limit=recent

Front tires are now 275/40-17, rears 315/35-17. 10" 2003 cobra rims all around.

I will probably adjust ride height lower on these wheels/tires, but I'm liking the stance.

I'm awaiting a rear spoiler from Paulo (Fazzt73) to complete the deal, and hope to finish block sanding/painting soon.

Rick,

That looks absolutely awesome mate. I am very jealous. Some of the 280YZ examples on the RR webpage don't make me want to buy the kit, but yours and Ted Fishers are absolutely beautiful cars. Top work integrating the headlights too. Love it. Can't wait to see it painted.

Dave

Is there a picture of your car there? I was kind of stuck on the girl in the bikini (I've never seen ol' glory look so good!)

Oh yea, there it is. Looks great! What kind of hood locks did you use on the top? They might be an option for my Velo Rossa tilt front. Please post a close up of one if you can (girl & the hood lock).

Thanks guys-

The rear spoiler is here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fazzt73/album?.dir=/a7c8

-the tall one. I may reshape its ends to get the look I want.

I'm sure that 12" wide wheels will fit in those big fender wells - as well as even bigger tires.

I have test fitted the following wheels/tires on the car:

17X10.5, 21MM offset, 315/35 rear, 275/40 front Sumitomo HTR-Z -street

18X10, 26mm offset, 305/35 rear, 275/40 front Toyo RA-1 -roadrace

15X10, 6.5" BS rear with 325/50 M/T ET Street DR, 15X6, 3.5" backspace front with 26X6.5 Hoosier Street Rod radial - drag

All of this is with Arizona Z Car 5- lug Wilwood Brakes, 2" thick spacer on the front hub and a 1-1/4" spacer on the rear.

Talking about what will fit is complicated by what front/rear hubs/hats are used - the AZC stuff alters offsets.

I plan on getting wheels with the proper offset to eliminate the spacers eventually, but we're talking custom 3- piecers and $. Currently I'm using wheels with 96-04 Mustang specs because the price is right.

I have found that cooling, both at rest and at speed, is improved by the cowled and scooped hood. I was experiencing problems with my previous unvented hood getting enough air past the 4.5" thick intercooler to adequately cool the engine (and me) in 90+ degree Florida heat. Theory aside, this hood configuration is working for me. I had thought about using 280Z-style louvers in the side positions, and still may if the need arises.

I also plan to build large ducts through the inner fenders out through the side vents to relieve air pressure in the engine compartment. That will be done when the L comes out to make room for domestic horsepower.:D

Almost time to change my sig pic!

Oh yeah, The side latches are cad-plated camlocks from Pegasus Racing. I'm thinking about powder coating or chroming them if they get corroded - but like the "vintage racer" look that they and the Le Mans gas filler give the car.

Thanks for the info Rick.

It takes a lot of work to get a YZ kit to that stage of fit and finish, and your efforts show. The first time I looked at the pics, I forgot the headlight cutouts wern't originally there.

You've done a great job.

John

Outstanding job! Looks like you have done this before. I am doing a 280YZ also and that tall rear spoiler is exactly what I have been looking for. Who do I call to get one? Your photos really lit a fire under me to pick up the pace with my project. The only change that I made on mine, (and I may get rocks thrown at me) is, I closed off the back quarter window with sheet metal and body work. It really changes the look of the roofline and what's most important..I like it. I cant wait to see your car with color on it. I'm going out to the garage now.