HybridZ

Newbie with questions

Hello everyone! I just found this site, 1st. post. We live in Merced,Ca. We have a 77 280Z that we would like to put a V-8 in and was wondering if anybody knew of any places near us (with in 100 miles) that specialize in this? T.I.A.

Remember, too, that you'll have to smog the thing when you're done. It's possible, certainly, especially after you read the JTR book ( http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ ), but it's something you'll need to keep in mind.

The number of hours even a pro would have to put into such a job would make it impressively expensive. Think five figures.

My best advice is to start learning. Piece together a good collection of tools, and parts that you need. Over time it can add up pretty nicely. Searching this forum, plus others from whatever kind of engine you choose, will teach you a lot. I'm sure whatever engine you want, probably someone here has done it. The JTR manual is great, plus I got haynes/chiltons from the donor car I got('95 chevy cop car). For you it would be better to get a whole donor car so that you get the smog parts also. Hope you find something you like.

Spend time and not money. When you spend money, spend it on books, tools and parts, not labor for someone else to do it. Even if you were to get everything put together by a "professional", you will still have higher upkeep than a factory-made car so you will have to keep paying someone or you will have to start learning yourself.

To be honest about it, I don't think I could do it with the tools I have. Plus I'm no mechanic.

Like others have said there is no time like the present to learn. All of us at one time had no tools and no skills. If you want a hot rod you'd better learn how it works or you'll spend a lot of money paying other people to work on your car and not necessarily doing it right. plus half the fun of hotrodding is saying you built it yourself. This is not rocket science you can do it.

Another alternative is to do some work yourself, but farm out the “hard stuff” to a professional. For example, have a pro do the exhaust, structural reinforcements (as required/desired), etc. In some jobs, such as the driveshaft, appealing to a shop is almost unavoidable. If literally following the JTR book, a pro could do the radiator installation and the grinding of the exhaust manifolds. Again if following the JTR book, buy the mounts, speedometer cable, differential yoke, etc. from JTR.

The main challenge for a “straightforward” swap is having enough garage space. Buying the tools is a secondary consideration – unless, of course, you’re really into custom fabrication.

But as others have said, the cheapest route is to buy an already converted car.

BTW for a 1977 you shouldn’t have to worry about smog check if you wait until 2007.

That's what I like about the WA rules - 25 year exemption. So 1981 is the oldest year that still needs smog.

CA started that 30 year thing and changed right back. Stupid of them. Most of the cars putting out all the smog are loate 70's early 80's when they REALLY had trouble making 'em run right with all the smog crap they were saddled with...

I say figure out what you need to do BEFORE you do it. Make a plan, research what it takes to do the things you want, the parts, etc.....then when you're ready, go for it. The JTR book is a great way to start your plan. That book has everything in it, and most of it can be used for any of the V8 swaps. :2thumbs:

I think you are getting some good advice from the others here. I would recommend you do it yourself as well. Research everything you want to do and start taking on the projects that you feel most comfortable with. For starters have you gone through the whole car yet for the basics like brakes, electrical, etc. I would highly recommend you make sure the car is safe and the chassis is solid enough to handle a V8 first. This way you have time to research and learn while still getting your car closer to your goals. My first Z I started with my suspension, electrical, brakes then worked my way up to the engine. Your engine won't be much fun if your car isn't safe and can't stop. Just my .02.

Good luck,

I couldn't agree more about buying a ready made car. The amount of work($$$) put into mine before I bought it makes it a very affordable car. I don't (didn't) know much about mechanical stuff either but I know 1000% more than I did before I bought it. sometimes after pulling something apart, I look at the fabrication and engineering that went into it and think if the previous owner paid for all this to be done, then I've got a $20,000 car that I paid half that for. it's still a long way from finished but I'm learning something new every time I work on it and I know I'll sell my daily driver before this one any day.

like someone else here said, i work on it a little then check the website and then work on it a bit more. it's very comforting to know that there are always people around -both in cyberspace and round the corner - who can dig you out of the proverbial.

Just be sure to get the structural engineering checked really carefully.... almost everything else is replaceable.