HybridZ

WAHOOOO she's finally painted!Pics

fastzcars

Thanks guys, I was just about to give up on this car! I mean it took me 5 years to build it, then when I finished it I only got to drive it for 6 months before I tangled with the 18 wheeler. Hanns, I hope I don't snap my MMS stubby's, if I do then I'm not driving right and I'll talk to Ross about the 31 spline ones he's got in development. As far as the name of the color, it was suppose to be 2004 mercedes silver, but it's got a tindge of blue with larger metalic in it than I wanted. We'll see how it comes out after they cut and polish it out. Heres are the before pictures of the carnage after the simi got through with me! Thanks for the kind words guys, it really mean alot to me!:D

Picture 001_thumb.jpg

Picture 002_thumb.jpg

Picture 005_thumb.jpg

Picture 006_thumb.jpg

How 'bout some details on the paint job? Did you do it yourself or have a professional do it? how much did it run you? I ask because i'm looking at getting my car re-painted next summer and want to gauge what it will set me back.

I hate silver Z's....J/K. I will NEVER forget the day I went to inspect the paint on my Z at the bodyshop. It was my first ever paintjob and the car was dull as a brick before I dropped it off. As soon as I saw the shine of the silver I was in heaven!

Nice Color!

Did you have insurance and how did it go with the insurance company?

Thanks Otherthanme. I get comments about the wheels all the time, I think people like the wheels more than the car?

It's kinda funny that the 17 inchers look better than the 16 inch , in my humble opinion.

Hey gogriz91, as far as the cost of the paint job, the repair included ALL new suspension,wheels,tires, and frame repair/rebuild and paint. My insurance paid for it all. So I can't say how much just the paint job cost.

In hind sight, I should of took the payoff and bought a good used corvette. But I put so much effort into this car I just couldn't let it go to the scrap yard.

I can give you this advise, the first time I had the car painted, I took it to "1 day paint&body" .people couln't beleave it, it came out pretty good guys though is cost ALOT more than the $2,200 I paid. But I had to take off All the glass ,crome trim, lights , panels, door handles etc. The more you can remove, the less they have to mask, the better the outcome. plus I washed and degreased it really good before I turned it over to them. Take your car over to several shops and gauge the kind of interest they get from your car. I took my car to 6 shops until I finally found one that the owner couldn't stop talking about a Z that she used to have when she was younger. That's when I knew that they would take care of my car!

thanks for the words, I really appreciate it. I never really thought about it but it makes alot of sense to strip as much as you can off the car befor handing it over and send it to someone who wants to do the work, not to someone who can do it. I'm waiting for a promotion in dec and if it happens, the car is going to get alot of attention.

Good advice on finding bodyshops. When I pimped my Z around looking for a bodyshop I got all kinds of dirty looks and excuses. Here are a couple.

One guy said, "I dont work on Japanese s**t steel"

From a block away another shop said, "I aint working on that, it has an inch of bondo on it already." Funny thing is it had good original factory paint on it still and was just faded.

I ended up going with a reference from a friend that had his vette painted.