HybridZ

Operation: Camo Zzzap!

veritech-z

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a good photoshop, but I think my next paint job will be some kind of white. I'm not sure if the camo will make the cut at that time or not. Here are my Impuls after repainting. So far I've done one front and one rear.

front:

DSC_0044.jpg

rear:

DSC_0045.jpg

both:

DSC_0043.jpg

Leaning against my altima (they are drilled for both 4 AND 5X114.3, so they should in theory fit that car as well):

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

If the price of a few rattlecans is going to keep you from getting your car running, I'd skip the rattlecans. I'm not unhappy with the camo, I'm just looking towards the day when I will have a real paint job that won't be half a micron thick and ready to flake off when you walk by...

BTW I'm doing the rustoleum again...I just polished up part of the power bulge on my hood and can you say.."Show quality shine!!!" It is looking SOO smooth. Once I polish it the rustoleum turns rock hard too. :-)

Just painted the roof gloss black and am prepping to finish sanding the whole car tomorrow morning. I bought new 4" rollers this time instead of 2" and it is MUCH better and more consistant. So far I am in $25 this time...I may need to buy another $8 of paint though.

b65529349.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dupli-color has a line of paints called "Metalcast" that are supposed to simulate an anodized finished. They make a base coat you can put down that will give it a "bass-boat flake" if you so desire, but I opted not for this project. I had to do a "rough" polish of the lip so it would look right.

If by "under control" what you mean is really "verging on completely non-functional" then yes, i've got it doing exactly that...I need a lovely assistant to help me out with the tuning, I can't do it while driving. I'm really thinking at this point that I may have jumped time or developed some other serious mechanical problem after my disastrous attempt to put the hurt on RonTyler and BRAAP with a premature burnout...it seemed to run relatively smoothly just prior to that, and then it ran like garbage immediately after. I checked under the valve cover the other night and it seemed ok, but you can't tell a whole lot from a quick peek.

I'll try and fool with it this weekend. I don't think I'll spend any money on it though. If it turns out to be shot, I'll probably just look a little harder at getting my SBC stuff together. I really don't have the time or the pockets to throw a bunch of cash at it right now, so whichever way I go will be the "just enough to get by" route for the short term. I just need it to run decent, it doesn't need to be fast.

• 1 month later...

So Saturn has a core program on their fascias, meaning that when a body shop orders a front or rear fascia for a saturn, you are supposed to charge them a fee until they return the old ones. The rational for this is that it keeps them out of the greedy hands of aftermarket manufacturers who would recondition them and sell them for profit. Well, I noticed that in my core pile at work (you see I was bored pretending to sell parts, and as well all know, an Idle Mind is the Devil's pork chop or however that goes...) we had a fascia from a Vue Redline (that would be the small SUV with the Honda 3.5 engine in it). Not just the front, but the rear as well. This vehicle has a very aggressive looking body package, and I've always been curious if it could be adapted to work on something else ("something else" being pronounced a lot like "My Z" in this context). So, I went out and borrowed a few tools from the technicians in the shop (a drill that sort of worked if you jiggled the direction selector, some straight cut tin snips, and a pop rivet gun) and got to work. I'm pretty happy with the results, here it is sitting on the ground, I'll put it up to the car in the next day or two to show how it looks on the car. This whole project is OTM's fault, since he totally dropped the ball on sending me that Robotron fascia (I think he used the excuse of going to college and breaking his jaw, I wasn't paying attention...all I heard was Blah Blah, I didn't do that thing you asked me to do that involved lots of work and minimal compensation...some people have all the nerve, you know?) I asked him really nicely for. The other best part is that this whole operation cost me $4.98 for a can of flat black spray paint. Everything else was destined for the trash anyway. here are some pics:

saturn vue OEM

alt01.jpg

3/4 view:

fascia2.jpg

full frontal:

fascia1.jpg

I had to cut a section out to lower it vertically, and I had to take some pieces from the rear fascia to extend the "wings" back to the wheel well. It's going to want some reinforcing, but I like it. I'm thinking of moving my orange marker lights to the small holes off to the side of the main air entrance, and the 280 grill is almost a perfect fit in the hole that's remaing from the original airl intake. I doubt the pop rivets will hold forever, so I'll probably have to use some resin or something to hold the pieces together when I mount it to the car. Thoughts?