HybridZ

Operation: Camo Zzzap!

veritech-z

Hey everybody, I know the camo zzzap! is kind of old news, but I just got done with stage one of operation: matching camo valve cover. My wife went to a concert in orlando with the digital camera though, so I'll have to wait until another time to put up some pictures. I've still got to wait for this coat to dry so I can add the wrinkle finish black around the nissan turbo part...

Plus I was hoping to shame chewievette into finishing the Camo BRE clone by bringing this thread full of all his old hopes and dreams back up.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCI0057.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the result, the silver accents really didn't do what I wanted them to do as far as highlighting the shapes...I'm thinking this paint scheme would work better with my standard non-turbo datsun ohc valve cover (and I REALLY with I'd thought of it when the whole engine was out of the car, so I could have done the whole thing like this), so I may pull it off the car and do that one too, but without the silver. Any body care to comment?

I think it would look best without the nissan logo on it.

Perhaps get the valve cover that says " NISSAN - OHC " and then grind off the lettering, leaving the fins. I did it to mine, it doesn't look too bad even though I did get a little heavy-handed with the grinder.

Maybe grind off the fins, too. Would look just like the turbo valve cover without any of that raised lettering. Or leave the NISSAN on it, and grind off everything else. Or just grind off the ISSAN, leaving a N, which looks just like a Z.

Your choice.

I have the OHC valve cover on the car right now, this one is just extra. I like the idea of leaving only the N. I've thought about smoothing one out all together and using JB weld or something like it to make my own lettering...Maybe: "Protoculture Matrix" or just putting the turbo back on, but making it in a different font. Projects for "when I've got nothing better to do..." which seems to be most of the time...

Trying to Shame me into finishing eh? That's just Low man... But effective! All I want to do right now is max out the cards and take out a loan or two and finish my Z just as imagined but reality has so far kept me in check. Your not helping you know. Anyways, I'd have to agree about the silver on the valve cover but other than that it looks fantastic!

posted by OTM:When you get done with this camo fad then you can just polish everything...

Then I could put mirrors on the underside of the hood and 24" chrome rims too...I might even paint chester cheetah on the door...that would be so hot...OH! I need the naked lady silhouette mudflaps! Now THAT is bling!

You guys are just lucky I don't have a Z31...I want to paint one of those like an 8-bit NES console SO bad! Use the red Nintendo font for the nissan turbo badge....Maybe even do a custom tail light panel that looks like the controller: R32 tails on the right, then a one-off configuration to look like the crosshairs on the left...

• 4 weeks later...

DSCI0018.jpg

You've probably already answered this before, but how come the fender mirrors

aren't "properly" aligned? Haven't noticed before. Are all fender mounted mirrors

like that? Maybe they are - and maybe I should just go to bed (5.am) :)

Nice camo!

Mull: those mirrors came from a 1979 Mazda RX-7. They're power, but they aren't hooked up. As for why they aren't aligned, well, they're from a 1979 Mazda RX-7, and they don't really fit quite correctly...But like the rest of this car, they look good from far, and in photographs...

Z-tard: Where the heck have you been hiding out? Deep in the mountains of Afganistan with your new-ish evil avatar?

Z-tard: Where the heck have you been hiding out? Deep in the mountains of Afganistan with your new-ish evil avatar?

Durka Durka!.... Nah, just got sidetracked again and haven't been posting much lately. A buddy of mine gave me a busted up Ibanez 7 string RG guitar, so I started fixing that up. After looking at it, I decided Ibanez's are pretty cool, enter Ebay. Anyway, 4 Chinese Ibanez copies later, along with hours upon hours of rewiring, repainting, and adjusting the action on them, I think I am finally ready to start working on the Z again. I was actually researching the SU-27/35 camo schemes for a paint job on one of the guitars. I didn't end up painting it camo, but none the less the paint job has been filed in my memory banks for use later..... I like how the valve cover turned out, what colors did you use? They look like a really close match to the splinter camo pattern on the bottom SU-27 pic I posted.

Mike