HybridZ

Any electricians here, I need advice

383 240z

I'm looking to run a new service to my shop, the total run is 125' from my house panel to the shop panel. I have enough #3 copper to cover the distance (run in 1.25" conduit underground) the load is 100 amp. is this wire size adaquate? or do I need to buy a large gauge? Thanks guys Keith

youll be better off in the long run to use a heavier gauge and ask the local inspectors about whats required to pass codes, my shops 440 feet from the house I ran (4 ) lengths of 2/0 and a #6 grn for a 200 amp feed

btw take a stiff drink BEFORE asking prices........just the wire, not including the conduit cost me close to $2000 and Ive heard that prices jumped up recently.....now youll pay a great deal less at about 1/4 the length but it will still be expensive to do the job correctly to pass inspection.

another thing......at least in my area you need a 2" pvc pipe burried a minimum of 24" below ground, a seperate cut off braker at the house and the shop and two 10 ft ground rods and a water pipe ., and all shop outlets GFI ground to pass inspection

luckly IM a retired engineer,

and I did all the wiring system layout and had my sons install 2500 ft of 3/4" conduit in the shop, 21 quad high intensity floresent lights,each circuit with its own breaker and grounds,GFI and all wired 10GA (110volt outlets)or 4GA(220V outlets)

the BID I got from several electricians was all over $15,000-$18,000 (LABOR only) I had the work done myself with my direction and the kids installing for under $7000 (PARTS/LABOR) parts/materials, cost almost $7000 alone so I saved at least $15,000

http://www.sizes.com/materls/wire.htm#Brown

WOW, Sounds like a nice shop. Electrically speaking. If 60 amps will be enough for you then yes, #3 will be more than plenty. But Grumpy is very correct in what he said. Both wire and conduit have quadrupled in price and it hasn't stopped yet.

This is a pretty low key shop. 35x40 industrial lighting, the big toys include a 220v Plasma cutter (my new best friend) a 110v Mig (soon to be 220V) 120v 30A compressor and a lift in the spring (we are changing ours over at work(made the owner promise me one)). at the most ownley 2 people there at a time working,I dont count watching and beer drinking as working but more of that gets done than working. I think I'm just going to suck it up and buy direct burial 100 amp Feeder wire and do it once and do it right. Thanks for the responces guys You have yet to lead me astray. Keith

btw take a stiff drink BEFORE asking prices........

What he said! It cost me $850 to get my air compressor wired in today. I was expecting around $350 or so. Most of that was for the wire, as I had it on the opposite corner of the garage than the breaker box, and its a 3.5 car garage.

they didn't break it down, but basically they

converted to breakers to half size breakers to make a spot

installed a 40 amp breaker

ran conduit and wire, about 60' probably

wired the compressor.

It sure is nice not having that tiny campbell hausfield noisy thing anymore though!

What he said! It cost me $850 to get my air compressor wired in today. I was expecting around $350 or so. Most of that was for the wire' date=' as I had it on the opposite corner of the garage than the breaker box, and its a 3.5 car garage.

they didn't break it down, but basically they

converted to breakers to half size breakers to make a spot

installed a 40 amp breaker

ran conduit and wire, about 60' probably

wired the compressor.

It sure is nice not having that tiny campbell hausfield noisy thing anymore though![/quote']

What did you do? Have it put outside? Wish I could have done that. For the space it takes up if nothing else.

What did you do? Have it put outside? Wish I could have done that. For the space it takes up if nothing else.
no, its in the back corner of my garage, on the pallet and behind an oak entertainment cabinet. The 240 fits nicely in front of it with room to move around still.

Here are a couple pics. Its a true 5hp motor, 60 gallon Eaton compressor. Runs at 800 rpm, fills the tank in 4.5 minutes from empty and puts out 17 cfm free air at 175psi.

compressor_002_Small_.jpg

compressor_001_Small_.jpg

I think #3 copper is good for 100 amps but over the length you are running you should go bigger so you don't have a voltage drop, a least # 2 copper.You can get direct bural cable alu.200 amp maybe 150 amp if you can find it,alot cheeper than copper,You don't need conduit only at the end where it enter panels from the ground. Dig a ditch 24 inches deep and cover it.O yeah you need 4 wire.seperate ground and sepreate neutral.neutral needs to be isolated from the ground at the sub panel. Check with your electricial inspector in the area they will tell you.You don't want to do it twice.Unless your not getting it inspected? Bigger is better in electric wire!

While your at it' date='

If you have a trencher on site, bury a water line, gas line, and the digital cable.[/quote']

but if youll want computer or phones to operate correctly, ID STRONGLY SUGGEST NOT RUNNING THE PHONE / COMPUTER LINES IN THE SAME TRENCH WITH THE POWER.......yes, if your forced to, seperating them by at least 18" helps but not completely prevents interferance

I ran two seperate trenchs, the power trench was 30"-40" deep the water and phone trench was 18" deep and I seperated the water pipe and phone conduit by 18" side by side, BTW BE SURE to leave a STRONG pull rope in the conduits, and use LOTS OF dish washing liquid soap or some other water soluable lubricant to ease the wire pull, if it were to pull loose or brake durring the pulling in process your temp. screwed