HybridZ

Un-freakin-believable! Still can't believe it happened!

Alright, can't totally spill the beans, but I just got back from the Ft. Worth area with something that will totally change the direction of the Z project! For me it was the Z equivalent of winning the powerball loto.....I'm still giddy. Pics and details to come tomorrow.

BTW, it involves Datsun 240Z #248!

I still can't believe it...How the heck am I supposed to go to sleep?:)

Bryan

Dat240zg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the lowdown:

Wednesday I was glancing through the drivetrain ads on Zcar and noticed a V8 setup for sale in the Ft. Worth area. Opened the ad and it stated that what was up for sale was a new Scarab setup, new Banks Twin Turbo setup and #248 (11/69). All for $1500.

I was thinking that something must be wrong with it due to the low price, but thought that it would only cost me a phone call. Got on the phone and it was an elderly couple that was selling their sons Z "stuff". Asked her a few questions and after talking with my wife via hand signals, said that we'd take it. Yesterday we headed down to Rendon, TX, pulled into their driveway (after getting lost by a buddhist monastary, but that's another story) and thought oh man, big mistake. The Z was stripped down, 2 flat tires, looked like it was buried a few days before. But, after we got out and looked, the frame rails were perfect, floor pans were perfect,etc. The only rust is on the passenger rear quarter (so if anyone knows where I can get a good one, give me a shout).

We then saw the porch, which seriously was about 45 ft. long, and noticed that it was covered in Z parts. At one end, was a new in box, Gale Banks Twin Turbo V8 setup. Right next to it was a complete (down to the Scarab bellhousing) Scarab V8 setup, new in box., In several boxes next to that were brand new Nissan parts, 30 years old, still in their protective papers and boxes!

By this time I was woried that I was going to start running around their yard screaming, but somehow I managed to contain myself. What it boiled down to was enough NOS Nissan parts to do a nice restoration, along with the Banks and Scarab setup.

Weird thing is this - the guy purchased all of the parts in '82 and never opened the boxes! Both setups are complete down to the hose clamps, etc.

All of the invoices, billing pages, factory papers, Scarab paraphenalia is all there. He spent approx. $4k on the Banks setup, and over a grand on the Scarab parts!

We loaded everything up in the Titan and couldn't even fit everything. I still haven't inventoried the parts that are stuffed in the Z. Pics will follow - I promise. And I'm not making any of this up! $1500! I'm thinking that this will be about as close to winning the lotto as I'll ever get!

Bryan

Dat240zg

Ok, we're going to have to ban you for not posting a thread allowing other hybridz members the opportunity to jump on this really bad deal. Your actions were self centered and your greed kept you from screaming at the top of your lungs what a sweet deal this was and that they were selling it way too cheap. Those actions are unbecoming of well, um, uh, so, yeah, damn.....

OK, so you got a smokin' deal Congrats! :2thumbs:

What kind of banks system? I was wondering if it was the same as mine, blow through carb.

Oh, and.

:worthless:

Yeah, I know..I'm a total heal...OK, I'm over it now! I know that pics are needed, there's literally so much stuff that I can't even get around my garage!

BTW, I think that my setup is the same as yours, so I'll probably have a few questions for you. I do have all of the Banks paperwork from '82 that I'll be scanning in. If you want, I'll get them to you somehow...

:) My face is still hurting from smiling like a idiot for hours on end...

Bryan

Dat240zg

You must have lived a clean life and have a good sense of morality.....good karma has settled on you like a wet blanket on a pile of leaves!!

Well done!! Congrats on chasing down a great find!

I'm waiting on the towing company to take away the Firehawk hulk and then I'll set up my "photo studio" and snap away.

Trouble is, now I have to decide which way to go. I don't know how practical a twin turbo V-8 carb setup is for a daily driver, but shnikes! What a commute!

Bryan

Trouble is, now I have to decide which way to go. I don't know how practical a twin turbo V-8 carb setup is for a daily driver, but shnikes! What a commute!

Sure:roll: you have "trouble" deciding now. Go for the TT setup, you'll never be late for anything...EVER. Congrats on the great find, looks like you stumbled upon a hidden Z weapons cache.

Once I have a better idea of what is actually here, I'll have a better idea of what I'll sell.

The only thing that I do know is that I'm going to be switching from my current Z to the #248 and continuing with the LT1/T56 project in that shell. If you know of someone who's looking for an excellent shape 240 ready for a V8 (with lots of history), let me know.

Bryan

Dat240zg

Got on the phone and it was an elderly couple that was selling their sons Z "stuff".

What a great find. A twin turbo 383 should be a lot of fun to drive. BTW, what happened to the son....? Did they tell you?

Nope, they didn't say, although they did tell us that one other sibling was deceased.....uh, quick pack the truck up and get the heck out of here!!! :)

The 'hawk shell is gone now, so pics will be up this evening. I'll scan in the Scarab papers and the Banks papers for anyone that wants them.

Bryan

Dat240zg