HybridZ

Who Is Using An Oil thermostat W\ An Aux. Oil Cooler

slownrusty

Guys - Just curious. I am upgrading my oil cooling system on my Z, I am going to have a fairly large oil cooler plus all 1/2" lines.

Are any of you running an oil theromostat with your auxillary oil cooler?

The last one I did was kind of over kill but damn it looked hot!

43823339.jpg

Yasin

I run an oil cooler but I haven't installed the thermostat yet. I don't think it's really needed if you don't drive in cold climates. If you do drive in cold climates, you probably should run a thermostat. It is bad to run oil that is too cold. Since I only drive my Z occasionally in the cold Winter, I slip a piece of cardboard over the oil cooler to keep it from overcooling the oil.

You should have one anywhere, climate doesn't matter. If you don't your oil will take a lot longer to warm up. Cold oil doesn't lubricate as well as hot oil. Think of how long it takes your coolant to warm up without a thermostat in some cases it doesn't at all. Same sort of thing.

Use a Mocal combined thermostat/adaptor on mine so no extra plumbing at all. Seeing oil temps were getting up to 150 degrees C a cooler was a must. The more power the more heat the hotter the oil gets.

As Jon said, a thermostat also helps to get the oil up to working temperature more quickly.

I ran the MSA oil cooler kit with thermostat on my L28 for about a year before I pulled the motor for the LS1. Never had any trouble with it but I'd definitely use something other than a standard band clamp to clamp the hoses it I were to do it again.

Evidently even in Texas I wasn't loading the engine up that much heat-wise because I never saw any benefit for the cooler. For all-out competition applications it might be different.

You should have one anywhere, climate doesn't matter. If you don't your oil will take a lot longer to warm up. Cold oil doesn't lubricate as well as hot oil. Think of how long it takes your coolant to warm up without a thermostat in some cases it doesn't at all. Same sort of thing.

I agree. I've also been considering an oil cooler my my Z and was told I must have a thermostat so the oil will get up to the proper temperature.

Just curious, what temp is considered ideal and what temp is considered too high? I run synthetic oil so I would think higher temps might be more tolerable. I've heard 220 deg F was ideal and 240 deg F was the high side of safe.

I'm going to run a track day before I add a cooler. Maybe I won't need one...