HybridZ

Motivation

cyrus

I have my 2JZ 240Z is almost done, but I progressing slowly. I am over most of the hard parts, too. I think it may be the 95+ degree days are killing me or that I may be burnt out, or it may be that i have very little room to work. I know I will love the car when done, but transferring that love into busting 3 to 4 hours a night is the trick right now. I have done it before but i feel lazy. I need a boost maybe I show watch more dyno videos or something...

I seem to have lost motivation right after the car was “done”; drove it a total of 2.0 miles (as registered by the odometer) in three segments, mostly up and down my driveway. It’s really hard to shift, the engine smokes profusely, and who knows what sorts of horrors await me at the dyno shop, where I intend to take the car for diagnosis. Eventually I realized that it is simply impractical to drive this car on the street; I need a tow rig and trailer. Besides, I would rather have a “running” car sitting in my garage, than banging on it, only to render it into a pile of broken parts.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of at a trough in my motivation as well...I'm in the middle of installing both Megasquirt and doing a full poly bushing kit, and being under the car that much has me thinking about floor pans and frame rails now...and then there is the general state of the bodywork before I can get a real paint job...Both outside door handles are broken on one side and lift out when you open the doors...Sigh...I need to see a burnout video. Somebody please post some video of their car doing smoky burnouts, so we can all get some motivation back! I did do a sort of half-assed polishing job on my turbo compressor housing, but since I haven't built my manifold yet, that was pretty much just for something to do at work today...

This post strikes a chord with me.

Temps in the 90s and nagging problems to solve are sapping my motivation. Same here - big stuff is done, lots of minor stuff to clear up.

The only thing to do is keep visualizing the final product, focus on one thing at a time, (I make a prioritized list) and stay on it. If I get too pissed at setbacks, I just take some time off to calm down and think things through before resuming work.

Some inspirational words:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the going gets tough . . . the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's Go! Come on! AAAAEEEEEGGGHHHH!!"

Now go out there and finish those Z Cars.

Speeder, I love your car by the way. That video was super cool! But I'm not super hyped up yet...Speeder is right, Florida doesn't like car builds, I'm convinced. 90+ heat, 90+ humidity, rain every day (no garage, otherwise I wouldn't car)...I'll keep plugging away, but it's taking SO long to get anything done...

I have my 2JZ 240Z is almost done, but I progressing slowly. I am over most of the hard parts, too. I think it may be the 95+ degree days are killing me or that I may be burnt out, or it may be that i have very little room to work. I know I will love the car when done, but transferring that love into busting 3 to 4 hours a night is the trick right now. I have done it before but i feel lazy. I need a boost maybe I show watch more dyno videos or something...

Okay... here's ya' motor-vation. Get off ya' whiny A$$ and get to woik, or I'll bust ya' chops wit' a used VW camshaft. YA' GOT DAT?!?!

This post strikes a chord with me.

Temps in the 90s and nagging problems to solve are sapping my motivation. Same here - big stuff is done' date=' lots of minor stuff to clear up.

The only thing to do is keep visualizing the final product, focus on one thing at a time, (I make a prioritized list) and stay on it. If I get too pissed at setbacks, I just take some time off to calm down and think things through before resuming work.

Some inspirational words:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the going gets tough . . . the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's Go! Come on! AAAAEEEEEGGGHHHH!!"

Now go out there and finish those Z Cars.

Based on your words of wisdom...I must be driving a German 240Z!!!

I know what you guys mean. I have been doing body work for a YEAR! I really hate body work so that definitely has something to do with it!

I was sanding down my spoiler that I got from MSA for like an hour the other night and it still doesn't fit very good! I know fiberglass parts don't always fit right but its not even close! Oh well, I guess if I want it done right I will continue to sand it down so that it fits right.

I need some vidoe's of Darius's car!

Guy

Stepping away from your project for whatever the amount time you need may be the best thing. Sometimes when you begin to be less motivated, some guys start thinking about selling there projects !!! You can not stay away too long and the same thing happens. I could easily be un-motivated -I have 2004 C5 that is hell on wheels, but I can't wait for Saturday's to come so I can work on the Z !!!!You can buy it, but there is nothing that compares to building it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though they weren't burnout videos, I did manage to get some motivation from the BRAAP/RonTyler/myself back and forth in the Myth or Matter of Fact thread in the Lseries forum...I'm hoping to get back running this week if i can, so I can try to attend the Florida Z car show in October. Also a nice talk with my buddy about the final disposition of his extra 5.7 chevy was helpful...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114696

here were some highlights:

BRAAP's 440 z

Burn2Medium.jpg

RonTyler's SBC? Z:

fog3.jpg

BRAAP's buddy's Olds:

Burn3.jpg

440z again:

BURNOUTLarge.jpg

Mrs.BRAAP's new RV:

FOg3Small.jpg

some french guy I found on the net:

triumph-speedtriple-burnout.jpg

Even Silent came out to play on this one (I'm convinced that's Tyrone Biggums on the left-google image him if you don't know who that is-)

bryan280054FINISH.jpg